General Election 2019 - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

What's wrong with Kirsty Blackman?

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Why don't you like Kirsty Blackman ? I think she does OK. 

Ach, i wouldn't say i'd be totally against her being the WM leader. I'm just basing my opinion on the TV interviews and debate performances i've seen her in. I seem to have some memory of her missing open goals, or not adequately defending attacks by pointing out something or other. I think i remember having one of those talk-out-loud-at-the-telly 'why didn't you mention X' moments while watching her.

Maybe she'd be great, but i imagine nobody will measure up to Robertson.

Edited by Dave78

12 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Ach, i wouldn't say i'd be totally against her being the WM leader. I'm just basing my opinion on the TV interviews and debate performances i've seen her in. I seem to have some memory of her missing open goals, or not adequately defending attacks by pointing out something or other. I think i remember having one of those talk-out-loud-at-the-telly 'why didn't you mention X' moments while watching her.

Maybe she'd be great, but i imagine nobody will measure up to Robertson.

She is much nicer on the eye than either of them which is something which should never be underestimated. 

Just as an odd aside, sort of a trivia question, Huddersfield Tories have selected 78-year-old Ken Davy (owner of the local Rugby League team & ex-owner of Huddersfield Town) as their candidate to challenge 79-year-old Barry Sheerman.  I’d love to know if there’s any other recent examples of the two main candidates for a Parliamentary seat having a combined age of over 150?

Edited by Huddersfield

38 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

If blackford was to lose his seat we would need someone who definitely doesn't come across patronising and smug, i would like someone with a sense of humour in there who is also thinks quick on their feet.

We still talking about politicians here, aye? Good luck finding one of them. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Just as an odd aside, sort of a trivia question, Huddersfield Tories have selected 78-year-old Ken Davy (owner of the local Rugby League team & ex-owner of Huddersfield Town) as their candidate to challenge 79-year-old Barry Sheerman.  I’d love to know if there’s any other recent examples of the two main candidates for a Parliamentary seat having a combined age of over 150?

Don't know about that, but there are some folk who would've been in their 120s who are still voting for Labour.

Farage shitting himself.  Not standing against Tory incumbents, will only stand in seats held by other parties  

Cue the pictures of Johnson in Farage's pocket.  

Edit. To be totally correct, they won't stand in the 317 seats the Tories won in 2017, so that includes those held by people who were either kicked out or left.  

Edited by aaid

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Farage shitting himself.  Not standing against Tory incumbents, will only stand in seats held by other parties  

Would that not be the other way round? Farage will be helping Boris win and getting nothing in return.

That just beggars the question of why does the Brexit Party exist? Obviously, they were set up as a means to ensure/force a No Deal and complete exit from the EU. Since Boris' deal is certainly neither of them and Brexit Party refuse to stand in Tory held constituencies then they are totally going against their reason for being. Unless, of course, they know or have been told something by the Tories that we haven't yet.

I mean, a thought here, Boris' deal has virtually been flung on the rubbish tip so what happens if (as looks a good possibility) the Tories win a majority and try to push through a new No Deal Brexit?

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

That might be true but I'm sure that's not the way it'll be portrayed 

Aye, probably. As Craig said, maybe there has been a secret deal done that we won't find out about until after the election. Seems the most logical explanation.

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, probably. As Craig said, maybe there has been a secret deal done that we won't find out about until after the election. Seems the most logical explanation.

The Tories certainly seem to be doing the best to give the impression that there's been no deal done but without unequivocally denying it.

Presumably Farage's best outcome is a Tory minority government but with enough BXP MPs to hold the balance of power as the DUP did in the last parliament.   Second best is probably a Tory majority.

The calculation is obviously that by not standing in Tory seats they'll maximise the chances of the Tories being the largest party as the Leave vote in these constituencies would not be split  

However, I'm not sure it's so simple.  While you'd expect most - probably all - BXP supporters to vote Tory in this case, what about soft-Remain Tories - who are a minority but significant nonetheless - will they be put off by this apparent alliance with Farage.

As an example, for example.  Look at Thurrock currently held by a Tory but a Labour target seat in a leave voting area. The majority is 345 but in the last GE UKIP got over 10000 votes, so you'd expect that to be won by the Tories.   On the other hand Chipping Barnet in London - and a Remain voting constituency has a majority of 353.  There was no UKIP candidate in 2017, however in 2015, they polled 4000 votes.  On the surface they should win if you total the Tory and UKIP votes but you have to consider that there will be a defection of Remain Tories, whether it will be enough and to Labour remains to be seen.

i think that this election unlike any other really is 650 individual elections and probably in a couple of hundred or so the result is up in the air due to the specific demographics of the constituency. 

55 minutes ago, aaid said:

Edit. To be totally correct, they won't stand in the 317 seats the Tories won in 2017, so that includes those held by people who were either kicked out or left.  

Such a pitty, the whole northeast was a stick on to return yellow, now i am not so sure, if the brexit party is not standing the tories willl now be seen as the “Brexit party” 

How the fook does Farage get away with his shit. Less than a week ago he spouting off ‘Johnsons deal is not Brexit’ ,’ His Brexit deal is rotten. 
However today he is saying that ‘ Johnson is proposing a Brexit that sounded like the option that the British people voted for’ . 

The guy is a cad and a bounder.