General Election 2019 - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Farage has made him an offer he can't accept and that's no accident.

Yep. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I am not sure if they plan to contest the Scottish seats but by God I'd like to see them try.

This election is going to be wildly unpredictable IMHO. Unlike anything we have seen before. So many pissed off people from so many different angles... wow.

I think the Tories will romp home in the rest of the UK. Everyone seems totally fed up of Brexit and I think folk will vote for them just to get this done. Brexit party are a bit of a busted flush IMO though  admittedly Farage seems to be able to stir a hornets nest when he tries. 

I was speaking to an English customer today.  She was talking about the election and said ‘ well , we always vote conservative but this time I would like to add ‘ but not Boris’ to my voting slip when I go. She almost sounded embarrassed. 
She is still voting for them though and I think a lot of people will do the same. 

Scotland I think is more difficult to predict. I think a December election will work against the SNP,   they really need to get people out to vote. 

53 minutes ago, phart said:

It's the same transparency for everyone though is it not? I doubt they are using any novel ways to obtain money.

I'm all for transparency look at Tony Blair and F1 or cash for questions etc in the past.

Actually they are.  In the run up to the European elections - just after they were founded a good chunk of their donations came in the form of PayPal transactions via their website.  

Any donation over £7500 requires to be registered with the electoral commission and details of the donation are available as a matter of public record.   All donations to political parties have to be from either UK citizens or UK companies/organisations and it's the responsibility of the party receiving the donation to ensure  that's the case and to return any donations which are illegal.

However, any individual "donation" under £500 isn't required to be registered and isn't subject to any checks, in fact it's actually not considered as a donation under the relevant legislation.  That means if if were for example a US citizen and I donated £499.99 to the Labour Party, that would be absolutely okay.  However, if I donated £500, then the Labour Party would have to establish that I was a legitimate donor and when they found that wasn't the case, they would have to return the donation and keep all appropriate records for auditing.  The law also covers multiple donations which combined go over the threshold.

Using an online payment provider like PayPal achieves a couple of things.  First of all since PayPal acts as the intermediary, it makes it a lot more difficult for anyone auditing to trace the actual originating party of the donation.  Secondly it also makes it a lot easier to process multiple transactions below the threshold.

For example, if I was some dodgy US or Russian billionaire looking to channel £500k  to the Brexit party, I could easily set up 1000 individual donations of £499.99 and there would be no audit trail of where the money came from.

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

I am not sure if they plan to contest the Scottish seats but by God I'd like to see them try.

This election is going to be wildly unpredictable IMHO. Unlike anything we have seen before. So many pissed off people from so many different angles... wow.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/north-east/peterhead/1834644/peterhead-councillor-to-run-as-brexit-party-candidate-for-banff-and-buchan/amp/

checks the nick of this c#nt!! its embarrassing having the same surname as him however it would be brilliant for the snp if he does stand

Edited by hampden_loon2878

7 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/north-east/peterhead/1834644/peterhead-councillor-to-run-as-brexit-party-candidate-for-banff-and-buchan/amp/

checks the nick of this c#nt!! its embarrassing having the same surname as him however it would be brilliant for the snp if he does stand

Do you lot all have the same surname up there? Seriously, how many of you are there?

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

😂 at least they haven't resorted to photoshopping their candidates to make them look more appealing. He looks red and stressed already.   

33 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Anyone from Mhari blacks neck of the woods? She will be a prime target for the unionists, has the sick children's saga settled down any? 

Quite a lot of seats are in danger of being lost if the SNP don't get the vote out. The Tories will be hoping that the winter election will help them in that respect. 

Unionist voters are starting to get to grips with tactical voting. So that will have a big impact as well. This election could throw up loads of interesting results north and south of the border. A lot depends on what the Farage party do. I've never liked opinion polls but I think that in this election it is even more important to ignore the opinion polls. With so many different factors involved I think the pollsters are guessing even more than normal.

In Mhairi Black's constituency, I can't find who the Tory candidate is. I can't imagine that they won't stand, but if they didn't, or decided to put in a token candidate, then Labour could win easily?

33 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Quite a lot of seats are in danger of being lost if the SNP don't get the vote out. The Tories will be hoping that the winter election will help them in that respect. 

Unionist voters are starting to get to grips with tactical voting. So that will have a big impact as well. This election could throw up loads of interesting results north and south of the border. A lot depends on what the Farage party do. I've never liked opinion polls but I think that in this election it is even more important to ignore the opinion polls. With so many different factors involved I think the pollsters are guessing even more than normal.

In Mhairi Black's constituency, I can't find who the Tory candidate is. I can't imagine that they won't stand, but if they didn't, or decided to put in a token candidate, then Labour could win easily?

No i don't think they would win easily as the labour party are polar different to the torys, tactical voters need to have a common goal, brexit is splitting the unionist vote. As you say there is so much at play this election, it would be interesting to hear a local take on it. 

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

No i don't think they would win easily as the labour party are polar different to the torys, tactical voters need to have a common goal, brexit is splitting the unionist vote. As you say there is so much at play this election, it would be interesting to hear a local take on it. 

I don't think they are.

I believe the Tories will have a candidate. I just don't know who it is yet.

I think it will be close. And so will lots of other seats.

44 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Yes and I could use my support on this forum to help with the campaign. 

OK, no problem. I'll sort it out. Don't contact them, they will contact you. Try not to get yourself banned again in the next 10 days. The folk at Brexit headquarters won't be smart enough to track you down if you have to change your name again.