New band/artist - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A pal of mine went to see a band at a pub in Southampton named The Joiners many years ago...

There was a bit of a queue to get in and it was pissing down, so he wandered over the road to another pub and that was him there for the night; he never went back for gig.

The band?

Radiohead.

I went to see Blondie at The Barras in 2000

I very rarely watch the support act so sauntered up from the bar just in time to see approx last 10 seconds of their set

Asked a guy standing next to me who the support were as they were leaving the stage

"Some unknown welsh mob called The Stereophonics mate".....

On 10/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, TDYER63 said:

😁 PIAK , only you could provide an example of a bad experience on a thread about music that you enjoy. Cmon, you  must have ‘seen the light’ with some song. 

I saw The Darkness at Transmt last year. I can take or leave their music but Justin Hawkins is very funny.  

I was duped into going by a girl I met in a night club on the agreement she’d come to a metal gig at the QMU the next night, which she left early from.

To be fair Hawkins was entertaining and worth the ticket price alone. 

As far as seeing anyone live, there won't be many for me that were on their 1st album tours tbh.   I can think of Alter Bridge who were brilliant at the QMU in 2005.   Not sure if I had heard of them when they were at the Garage a few months earlier.   They got bigger and follow-up gigs were good, but I drifted away as they reached Hydro status.

Was into 70's stuff (and probably an album or two behind the curve then too), but I struggled in the 80s.   So the biggest TV "wow" for me was probably Smells Like Teen Spirit (probably after '91).   Since it was not late-night MTV, I guess I wasn't among the first to see/hear Nirvana, but it certainly stirred me up again.

18 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

A pal of mine went to see a band at a pub in Southampton named The Joiners many years ago...

There was a bit of a queue to get in and it was pissing down, so he wandered over the road to another pub and that was him there for the night; he never went back for gig.

The band?

Radiohead.

I seen Radiohead supporting James at the Barras in 1993.  

4 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

I very rarely watch the support act so sauntered up from the bar just in time to see approx last 10 seconds of their set

Asked a guy standing next to me who the support were as they were leaving the stage

And Sterophonics supporting James at the SECC in 1998.

6 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

They were well known before 2000. 

Seen The Proclaimers when they supported the Housemartins in 86 I think? Housemartins were very late and the proclaimers played for ages taking pelters from the barras crowd really felt for them that night. 

Best 2 support acts I've seen were the Faith Brothers who I seen supporting the Alarm and rem and Ted Hawkins an amazing old blues man who supported Billy Bragg .

8 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I was duped into going by a girl I met in a night club on the agreement she’d come to a metal gig at the QMU the next night, which she left early from.

To be fair Hawkins was entertaining and worth the ticket price alone. 

Grrrr 😡 , so this girl is to blame for your cynicism ?   Did she bugger off with Hawkins ? 

PIAK I shall track her down and force her to listen to The Decline of Western Civilisation - the Metal Years" till she apologises. 

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Grrrr 😡 , so this girl is to blame for your cynicism ?   Did she bugger off with Hawkins ? 

PIAK I shall track her down and force her to listen to The Decline of Western Civilisation - the Metal Years" till she apologises. 

Cynicism? I’m as optimistic as they come ...

To be fair to her, the metal gig was just as bad, if not worse!