New band/artist - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does anyone remember hearing a song from a new band/ artist and thinking ‘ wow ’, and did the band become successful , was it a one hit wonder, or not even a hit at all ?  

I remember hearing  ‘Do you remember the first time’ by Pulp and absolutely loving it.  Pulp had been going since the late 70’s but it wasn't till this song became a hit in 94 that they became famous.
The album it was taken from, His N Hers , was brilliant too and my favourite,  although it was their next album A Different Class that probably shot  them to fame. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/25-years-of-his-and-hers-pulp-2479069/amp

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Does anyone remember hearing a song from a new band/ artist and thinking ‘ wow ’, and did the band become successful , was it a one hit wonder, or not even a hit at all ?  

I remember hearing  ‘Do you remember the first time’ by Pulp and absolutely loving it.  Pulp had been going since the late 70’s but it wasn't till this song became a hit in 94 that they became famous.
The album it was taken from, His N Hers , was brilliant too and my favourite,  although it was their next album A Different Class that probably shot  them to fame. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/25-years-of-his-and-hers-pulp-2479069/amp

A former workmate of mine always used to go on about how Pulp had supported his band at the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town, in fact Pulp were actually third on the bill.   This was the around the time that a DIfferent Class was out and he was working with me in IT.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

A former workmate of mine always used to go on about how Pulp had supported his band at the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town, in fact Pulp were actually third on the bill.   This was the around the time that a DIfferent Class was out and he was working with me in IT.

Thats a good story to have, much better than being on stage with Paul Daniels . 

That said,  if the guy has been in IT since the mid  90’s he is probably as rich as Jarvis Cocker 😁

Just now, TDYER63 said:

Thats a good story to have, much better than being on stage with Paul Daniels . 

That said,  if the guy has been in IT since the mid  90’s he is probably as rich as Jarvis Cocker 😁

I doubt it - not where we were working for sure.

Aye, the official Scotland ‘98 World Cup song. I mind thinking at the time, “Christ that group could go onto big things here.”

Unfortunately they faded away miserably. I think they are basically like a tribute act now playing to a paltry, but a still loyal fan group. 

7 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Aye, the official Scotland ‘98 World Cup song. I mind thinking at the time, “Christ that group could go onto big things here.”

Unfortunately they faded away miserably. I think they are basically like a tribute act now playing to a paltry, but a still loyal fan group. 

Del Amtri?

Not sure what happened to this lot (new band of the week september 2017).

OK I just checked

They are 'editor's pick for SONAR in this month's issue of Unsigned & Independent mag'...

and

ha ha this is a bit surreal, seems they supported the Foo Fighters and hit the buckfast!

Edited by exile

16 minutes ago, bonzo said:

In 1977 when I was 11 I heard a song on radio clyde it was in the city by the jam, it blew me away.

I am glad I am not a betting woman, I would have put my house on a song from 1982 . 

I saw them at the Apollo in 1977. They were totally wasted on me at that time. I went with a pal to help make up a foursome as she fancied a guy at school. I had to go with his pal 🙄 Only appreciated their music years later. 

24 minutes ago, exile said:

Not sure what happened to this lot (new band of the week september 2017).

OK I just checked

They are 'editor's pick for SONAR in this month's issue of Unsigned & Independent mag'...

and

ha ha this is a bit surreal, seems they supported the Foo Fighters and hit the buckfast!

Urgh, thats a bit of a Halloween video. Wish I hadnt enjoyed the song so much and I would have missed the gore  😊

Must find out what primer she uses, there’s no way my make up stays that perfect when I have been in a bath. 

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am glad I am not a betting woman, I would have put my house on a song from 1982 . 

I saw them at the Apollo in 1977. They were totally wasted on me at that time. I went with a pal to help make up a foursome as she fancied a guy at school. I had to go with his pal 🙄 Only appreciated their music years later. 

😂  didn't get to see them until 81 then 3 times in 82. Then through getting into the jam it got me into the scooter scene and pretty much took over my life the next 25 years😄. So I've always looked at hearing that song mapped out my weekends from my teens well into my 40s.

18 minutes ago, bonzo said:

😂  didn't get to see them until 81 then 3 times in 82. Then through getting into the jam it got me into the scooter scene and pretty much took over my life the next 25 years😄. So I've always looked at hearing that song mapped out my weekends from my teens well into my 40s.

You would have got on well with my pal. She also dragged me on a foursome to see The Who. That time I had to partner her brother . He played the bagpipes. That  was quite rare in a high flat in the 70’s. 

Anyway, I am away to make the dinner. It will need to be something with eggs. Mr Tidy is obsessed with  his ‘50p off ‘ eggs tokens he has for the Co-op. Every Sunday he gets a dozen. I now officially have more eggs than Old MacDonalds farm. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Urgh, thats a bit of a Halloween video. Wish I hadnt enjoyed the song so much and I would have missed the gore  😊

Must find out what primer she uses, there’s no way my make up stays that perfect when I have been in a bath. 

- I did think of putting a 'gore warning' on it but thought it would be too 'attention seeking' 

- Depends what you are bathing in?

Edited by exile

I saw Iron Maiden at Huddersfield Poly in Feb 1980. I think they got rid of Paul DiAnno not long after & hit the big time but they weren’t widely known outside Heavy Metal circuits at that time. 

Some 27 years later I took my son to see them in Newcastle. I realised that probably around 80% of the audience wouldn’t have even been born back then but did gain no end of kudos from anyone who made their pants available to be bored off them with my tales of having seen DiAnno & Harris ‘back in the day’. 

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

I saw Iron Maiden at Huddersfield Poly in Feb 1980. I think they got rid of Paul DiAnno not long after & hit the big time but they weren’t widely known outside Heavy Metal circuits at that time. 

Some 27 years later I took my son to see them in Newcastle. I realised that probably around 80% of the audience wouldn’t have even been born back then but did gain no end of kudos from anyone who made their pants available to be bored off them with my tales of having seen DiAnno & Harris ‘back in the day’. 

Also saw Iron Maiden with Paul di Anno around the same time but probably later on that year as it was at the Apollo in Glasgow, I think it was the tour for their first album, which I still have a copy of.  I sort of lost a bit of interest when he left as he had a bit more of a punky edge.

Got a mate now who's about 40 and is right into them and I can remember saying to him "now I'm going to tell you something that will really piss you off".  

Edit, the Internet tells me it was 13 June 1980. 

Edited by aaid

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

Also saw Iron Maiden with Paul di Anno around the same time but probably later on that year as it was at the Apollo in Glasgow, I think it was the tour for their first album, which I still have a copy of.  I sort of lost a bit of interest when he left as he had a bit more of a punky edge.

Got a mate now who's about 40 and is right into them and I can remember saying to him "now I'm going to tell you something that will really piss you off".  

Edit, the Internet tells me it was 13 June 1980. 

The time I saw them was part of what they called the Metal for Muthas tour - loads of different up & coming bands touring around, most of them never heard of since then. You're right though, they released their first album around that time so might have been promoting that at the same time. Like you, & although I could see why they got rid of DiAnno, they just became something I wasn't really into after that. They were supported by a band called Praying Mantis who I thought were better than Maiden!

Around that time, I used to go to a meeting of loony lefties. The room was also used by a band who kept their drum kit there & I spent more time trying to do the intro to Running Free than I ever did wondering about the Marxist analysis of whatever was going on in Guatemala

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Had the chance to see them in Dundee around that time but didn't bother going. My pals met them in the pub afterwards as well. :(  Always liked the Di'Anno stuff.  Got the first album within easy reach and give it a spin quite often.

Feather in cap: I did see AC/DC with Bon Scott (still refer to Brian Johnson as the new guy). That was the Highway to Hell tour at Glasgow Apollo.  They were supported by new up-and-comers Def Leppard.  The drummer was only 15 and needed a special permit to tour.  They played a great set and went down well.

Saw them again on a bill with Whitesnake 3 or 4 years back and they were fkin awful.  We left about 5 songs in.

9 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I seen the darkness in King Tuts before they got huge. It was awful 😂

😁 PIAK , only you could provide an example of a bad experience on a thread about music that you enjoy. Cmon, you  must have ‘seen the light’ with some song. 

I saw The Darkness at Transmt last year. I can take or leave their music but Justin Hawkins is very funny.  

14 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

The time I saw them was part of what they called the Metal for Muthas tour - loads of different up & coming bands touring around, most of them never heard of since then. You're right though, they released their first album around that time so might have been promoting that at the same time. Like you, & although I could see why they got rid of DiAnno, they just became something I wasn't really into after that. They were supported by a band called Praying Mantis who I thought were better than Maiden!

Around that time, I used to go to a meeting of loony lefties. The room was also used by a band who kept their drum kit there & I spent more time trying to do the intro to Running Free than I ever did wondering about the Marxist analysis of whatever was going on in Guatemala

The NWOBHM days! These were great times.

The only ones I can think of that made a career out of it were Maiden and Leppard, and Saxon to a lesser extent. I think Diamond Head are still on the go in some form. There were the Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Fist, Marseille (saw them support Whitesnake - brilliant), Samson, Dedringer, Tank, White Spirit, plus loads more I can't remember.  Sometimes wonder what these guys are doing now - if they just gave up their dreams or are still hacking it round the pubs.

By the way, check out "The Decline of Western Civilisation - the Metal Years" for a look at the LA 80's hair metal scene.  If you like cringeworthy watching with off-the-scale delusion then you won't be disappointed.  :lol:

(Apologies for going off-topic to the OP.)