Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games?

Guest ElChris04

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I ain't basing my analysis on just the senior Scotland games. He was diabolical any time I watched him for the u21s and for Swansea in the epl. Granted he was chasing lost causes for a Swansea team who were destined for relegation so I will give him a pass on that. He's generally been really poor anytime I have watched him. He's looked uninterested and could barely control a ball. I am honestly gobsmacked that Sheffield United spent nearly 20m on him. 

I am willing to persevere a bit with him because he did score quite a few in the championship and we have little else upfront but as soon as Griffith's is fit he should be second or third choice. I would like to see us try and get karlan grant as he looks like a good striker and will probably be playing epl next season.

I genuinely have no beef with mcburnie regarding the comments about Scotland as I am unsure as what was being said and in what context it was said, plus he's always turned up for both youth and senior squads.

My main problem is he just genuinely isn't good enough for international football and we really can't afford to rely on him as our first choice striker if we want to qualify for tournaments in the future. I would much prefer Griffith's or karlan grant if possible. 

Agreed. He’s been shite anytime I’ve seen him and a potential purple patch in the championship isn’t something that I’m too excited about, regardless of his transfer fee. Unfortunately we’ve so little options up front I’d still call him up. 

I've watched McBurnie playing for the Under 21s as well as Swansea and Sheffield United. I've yet to be impressed with him.

The only thing about him that's caught my eye is his stupid samurai hairdo and now his large beard.

People should stop looking at his transfer fee. If Duncan Ferguson was playing now he'd go for £60m+

Hornby is far better than McBurnie and he's 3 years younger.

Guest ElChris04
18 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I've watched McBurnie playing for the Under 21s as well as Swansea and Sheffield United. I've yet to be impressed with him.

The only thing about him that's caught my eye is his stupid samurai hairdo and now his large beard.

People should stop looking at his transfer fee. If Duncan Ferguson was playing now he'd go for £60m+

This. 

22 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

This is your most sensible post ever.

Duncan Ferguson is nearly 50 years old, he’s surely more like a 50m player now

13 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm not so sure about this.  Hornby has a lot of potential but lets wait to see how he does at a higher level. 

My thoughts are we shouldn't be calling up players from League 1 in England and I'd leave the u21 players where they are unless they are going to come in and improve the first team...

Goalkeepers

• David Marshall
  • Liam Kelly
  • Scott Bain

Defenders

• Andrew Robertson
  • Callum Patterson
  • Greg Taylor
  • Kieran Tierney
  • Michael Devlin
  • Scott McKenna
  • Steven Caulker
  • Stuart Findlay

Midfielders

• Callum McGregor
  • John McGinn
  • Ryan Christie
  • Ryan Jack
  • Scott McTominay
  • Stuart Armstrong

Winger / Forwards

• James Forrest
  • Lawrence Shankland
  • Matt Phillips
  • Oliver Burke
  • Oliver McBurnie
  • Ryan Fraser

I would be working towards some of the u21 squad joining the first team squad after their match against Greece and the first team return from Cyprus.

Edited by PASTA Mick

I'm going to cheat and pick a 25 man squad, rather than 23. my justification is that the last squad was 25 men strong (a very liberal definition of the word) upon initial announcement so I'm going along with that. 

I'm also going to add that there are at least 3 league games between now and the international window so players could play their way in, or out. 

Goalkeepers

Marshall, Kelly, Mclaughlin. 

Marshall and Kelly are playing games at the moment, Mclaughlin has been in the last few squads and started the last match. If Gordon or Bain got themselves some game time I'd be delighted to welcome them back. 

Defenders

Mckenna, Findlay, Porteous, Mulgrew, Devlin, Tierney, Robbo, SOD, Palmer

I value Mulgrew's experience in the squad even if I'd not be starting with him now that Mckenna is back. I am one of those who is mostly content to leave the Under 21s where they are, but centre half is such a problem position and Souttar's injury mean's I'd look at Porteous. Hickey could be a prodigious talent in the making but he is 17 and has only played a small number of games at first team level. I'd not necessarily be against calling him up, but I don't want to rush his development. I’m not convinced, watching him and SOD in the same league, that he is currently better than him or Palmer. I am confident he will be, but he can continue to develop at club level and hopefully gets some gametime at under 21 level. Porteous getting called up to senior side should mean a move in for Mcrorie and a space for Hickey to start an under 21 game. Greg Taylor has not played a game of football since 17th August and unless he does so before the squad he really shouldn’t be included. If he does, you can drop SOD or Palmer as Ryan Jack can cover right back.

Midfielders

Christie, Fleck, Jack, McGinn, Mcgregor, Mclean, McTominay, Armstrong

Forwards

Forrest, Fraser, Shankland, Burke, Griffiths

Obviously if Griffiths still hasn’t been fit to play for celtic he’ll have to miss out again, and in those circumstances I’d call up Hornby from the Under 21s.

I would echo Pasta Mick’s suggestion of calling up some of the Under 21s ahead of the Home match, after they have played their solitary under 21 match at Tynecastle just ahead of Cyprus away.

These would include some of the likes of Mcrorie, Hornby, Johnston if he gets fit, Hickey, Campbell, Ferguson, with some of the senior squad free to go back to clubs early.

Guest ElChris04
22 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

I wanted to ask the question now giving the games are pretty much pre match play off games and who you would like to see implemented in the team by Clarke. Here’s the following players i would call up with plenty of new faces and notable admissions. 

Keepers : McLaughlin,Gordon,Bain

Defence : Robertson,Tierney, Porteous, Soutter,McKenna,Findlay,Hickey 

Midfielders : McGinn,McTominay, McGregor,Christie,Armstrong,Henderson 

Wingers: Forrest,Fraser,Johnston,Hastie 

Forwards: Griffiths,Shankland,Hornby 

New Call ups :

Porteous - Hibs ( outstanding performances for the U21’s and a breath of fresh air for hibs ) 

Hickey - Hearts ( gonna be a top top player. Outstanding performances at his age warrants a call up to play RB/RWB for us. 

Henderson - Verona - Playing at the highest level in Italy and the type of character we need in the team that can be relied apon if needed 

Johnston - Celtic - before injury he was flourishing, hopefully when He makes his comeback he’ll be back to his high potential self 

Hastie - Rotherham Probably the out of the blue inclusion, but when you see his form with Rotherham you’ll know why, been on fire for them and with another with high potential and on form i would call him in. 

Hornby - Kortrijk Showing his class with the U21’s and in Belgium. He’d get the call up for me. 

a lot of notable admissions, mainly McBurnie,Fleck,Jack.
McBurnie doesn’t need much explanation, a Complete waster who shouldn’t be near the team.

Fleck is a box to box player. We have Christie,Armstrong, McGregor,McGinn.  who are all Far better. And for me is a waste of a call up.

Jack is probably the most debatable, i would like to be proved wrong but I don’t feel his heart is in playing for Scotland, some would say the boos he received in that friendly against the Dutch in 2017 has knocked the passion out of him. I would like to be proved wrong like I said and he does get called up but personally i would rather hand Henderson who’s playing in Italy to play a deeper role. Again if he does get called up I wouldn’t have much problem and he does indeed make the step up and show his passion. 

feel free to comment your own 23 man team if it’s different To mine or what you think of mine and if you agree or not. I feel it’s a topic that’s worth discussing now.

If Souttar won’t be fit for the next set of games then I’d draft in - George Johnston, similar to what @The_Dark_Knight said, young quality player for his age and has the potential to one of our very best CB’s for years to come. 

I do not see us calling up a host of U21 players for the next squad (maybe Porteous, but I doubt Hornby, Johnston and Hickey will be there) and doubt Henderson will be also considered.

Will be pretty much as you were from last squad, with players who were injured recalled (Shankland might keep his place, but find himself down the pecking order).

Clarke did say he was looking at a couple of new faces for the next squad, with papers implying these were players who were eligible from England (so have to assume Kane at QPR and Caulker)

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

I do not see us calling up a host of U21 players for the next squad (maybe Porteous, but I doubt Hornby, Johnston and Hickey will be there) and doubt Henderson will be also considered.

Will be pretty much as you were from last squad, with players who were injured recalled (Shankland might keep his place, but find himself down the pecking order).

Clarke did say he was looking at a couple of new faces for the next squad, with papers implying these were players who were eligible from England (so have to assume Kane at QPR and Caulker)

Todd Kane? googled him. 18 years at Chelsea, must be good.

19 hours ago, wanderer said:

Pretty much as you were sounds incredibly despressing 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Cunts wanting Jake Hastie called up.

Jesus wept, boy can't even get in the fucking Rotherham team the now.

I don't want him called up, but i just wanted to mention he's started in 8 out of the last 10 games for them. I'd call that getting in the team. 

My 25:

Keepers: Marshall, McLaughlin, Kelly

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, Taylor, Palmer, McKenna, Souttar, Findlay, Devlin, SOD

Midfielders: Forrest, Fraser, McTominay, Armstrong, Christie, McGinn, McGregor, Fleck, McLean, Mikey Johnston (if fit)

Strikers: Griffiths (if fit), McBurnie, Shankland.

14 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

My 25:

Keepers: Marshall, McLaughlin, Kelly

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, Taylor, Palmer, McKenna, Souttar, Findlay, Devlin, SOD

Midfielders: Forrest, Fraser, McTominay, Armstrong, Christie, McGinn, McGregor, Fleck, McLean, Mikey Johnston (if fit)

Strikers: Griffiths (if fit), McBurnie, Shankland.

Sadly Souttar is injured and not expected back until the new year. 

49 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

In the short term. 

Its just the sad reality at the moment....

Next squad will effectively be the one that will go into the play off's in March, so no point calling up a load of U21's and such if they are not in the plans for the game(s) in March.

Good chance we will see Tierney and McKenna back, and hopefully Griffiths (but I am almost at the point I am losing hope on seeing him in a Scotland shirt again.....) and maybe a "surprise" like Caulker (depending on how talks between him and Clarke go, and if paper work goes through in time) and Todd Kane (papers seem to imply that this is a done deal and was only because he came to Clarke's attention at the 11th hour that he missed out being in the last squad).

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Its just the sad reality at the moment....

Next squad will effectively be the one that will go into the play off's in March, so no point calling up a load of U21's and such if they are not in the plans for the game(s) in March.

Good chance we will see Tierney and McKenna back, and hopefully Griffiths (but I am almost at the point I am losing hope on seeing him in a Scotland shirt again.....) and maybe a "surprise" like Caulker (depending on how talks between him and Clarke go, and if paper work goes through in time) and Todd Kane (papers seem to imply that this is a done deal and was only because he came to Clarke's attention at the 11th hour that he missed out being in the last squad).

Might point is there is plenty of reason for optimism even if you have two wait a couple of more years. By that I mean teams capable of qualifying for tournaments on a reasonably regular basis. 

5 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Ah sugar. Was hoping he would be back sooner. Ok, if Halkett is also still out then either Mulgrew or Gallagher although neither inspires me greatly

Aye, under normal circumstances i'd have both of them in as well. I'd have had Halkett in a number of games ago to be frank. Agreed, needs must.