Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games?

Guest ElChris04

Guest ElChris04

I wanted to ask the question now giving the games are pretty much pre match play off games and who you would like to see implemented in the team by Clarke. Here’s the following players i would call up with plenty of new faces and notable admissions. 

Keepers : McLaughlin,Gordon,Bain

Defence : Robertson,Tierney, Porteous, Soutter,McKenna,Findlay,Hickey 

Midfielders : McGinn,McTominay, McGregor,Christie,Armstrong,Henderson 

Wingers: Forrest,Fraser,Johnston,Hastie 

Forwards: Griffiths,Shankland,Hornby 

New Call ups :

Porteous - Hibs ( outstanding performances for the U21’s and a breath of fresh air for hibs ) 

Hickey - Hearts ( gonna be a top top player. Outstanding performances at his age warrants a call up to play RB/RWB for us. 

Henderson - Verona - Playing at the highest level in Italy and the type of character we need in the team that can be relied apon if needed 

Johnston - Celtic - before injury he was flourishing, hopefully when He makes his comeback he’ll be back to his high potential self 

Hastie - Rotherham Probably the out of the blue inclusion, but when you see his form with Rotherham you’ll know why, been on fire for them and with another with high potential and on form i would call him in. 

Hornby - Kortrijk Showing his class with the U21’s and in Belgium. He’d get the call up for me. 

a lot of notable admissions, mainly McBurnie,Fleck,Jack.
McBurnie doesn’t need much explanation, a Complete waster who shouldn’t be near the team.

Fleck is a box to box player. We have Christie,Armstrong, McGregor,McGinn.  who are all Far better. And for me is a waste of a call up.

Jack is probably the most debatable, i would like to be proved wrong but I don’t feel his heart is in playing for Scotland, some would say the boos he received in that friendly against the Dutch in 2017 has knocked the passion out of him. I would like to be proved wrong like I said and he does get called up but personally i would rather hand Henderson who’s playing in Italy to play a deeper role. Again if he does get called up I wouldn’t have much problem and he does indeed make the step up and show his passion. 

feel free to comment your own 23 man team if it’s different To mine or what you think of mine and if you agree or not. I feel it’s a topic that’s worth discussing now.

4 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

I wanted to ask the question now giving the games are pretty much pre match play off games and who you would like to see implemented in the team by Clarke. Here’s the following players i would call up with plenty of new faces and notable admissions. 

New Call ups :

Porteous - Hibs ( outstanding performances for the U21’s and a breath of fresh air for hibs ) 

Hickey - Hearts ( gonna be a top top player. Outstanding performances at his age warrants a call up to play RB/RWB for us. 

Henderson - Verona - Playing at the highest level in Italy and the type of character we need in the team that can be relied apon if needed 

Johnston - Celtic - before injury he was flourishing, hopefully when He makes his comeback he’ll be back to his high potential self 

Hastie - Rotherham Probably the out of the blue inclusion, but when you see his form with Rotherham you’ll know why, been on fire for them and with another with high potential and on form i would call him in. 

Hornby - Kortrijk Showing his class with the U21’s and in Belgium. He’d get the call up for me. 

McBurnie doesn’t need much explanation, a Complete waster who shouldn’t be near the team.

Fleck is a box to box player. We have Christie,Armstrong, McGregor,McGinn.  who are all Far better. And for me is a waste of a call up.

Jack is probably the most debatable, i would like to be proved wrong but I don’t feel his heart is in playing for Scotland, some would say the boos he received in that friendly against the Dutch in 2017 has knocked the passion out of him. I would like to be proved wrong like I said and he does get called up but personally i would rather hand Henderson who’s playing in Italy to play a deeper role. Again if he does get called up I wouldn’t have much problem and he does indeed make the step up and show his passion. 

feel free to comment your own 23 man team if it’s different To mine or what you think of mine and if you agree or not. I feel it’s a topic that’s worth discussing now.

Harsh onJack who trained when injured. His desire to play for Scotland is well documented. Rangers were shite without him at the weekend. Hickey was poor as well. A bit early for him. 

57 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And a QPR one who has let in 10 goals in three games and only made one save.

Sounds like he's used to playing behind a terrible defense then? 

Also, it's only 7 goals in the last 3 games. 

Edited by mrniaboc

Guest ElChris04
15 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Harsh onJack who trained when injured. His desire to play for Scotland is well documented. Rangers were shite without him at the weekend. Hickey was poor as well. A bit early for him. 

It is harsh on Jack tbh, but i would rather test out Henderson first. Although like I said if he is called up again I’ll have no problem with it 

onto Hickey, probably his first game he’s put a foot wrong since he burst onto the scene. His ability is there for everyone to see, double footed, technically gifted on the ball for a winger, we are in no position to be turning down a good right back let alone a 17 year old versatile one who has the ability to become world class, some may disagree but Hickey would start both games at RWB for me in a 5-4-1 formation, or if Clarke sticks to a 4 at the back I would start him at RB with Porteous and Tierney as our CB’s. 

Just now, mrniaboc said:

Sounds like he's used to playing behind a terrible defense then? 

Ha Ha. He has made two saves already tonight though.

I know it's only stats but Craig MacGillivray seems to be playing very well over the last few games and with McLaughlin suddenly not getting a game for Sunderland it's probably reached the point he is worth keeping an eye on.

Guest ElChris04
12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

El Chris would be happy to pick people from the celtic canteen if he could. 

Absolutely spot on mate so my bad for forgetting to add Morgan and Hendry for good measure....  sorry I picked 2 keepers who are both superior to any we have. 🤣

Edited by ElChris04

14 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm amazed at the stick McBurnie gets on here

Not much point talking about it any more people have made their minds up and seem to have been reinforced by a bit of work place banter and his activities out side work.

It's comical how childish the responses are to his stupid behaviour.

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not much point talking about it any more people have made their minds up and seem to have been reinforced by a bit of work place banter and his activities out side work.

It's comical how childish the responses are to his stupid behaviour.

10 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The same folk that want us calling up a player that scores goals against Morton, don't want us calling up a 20million striker who scored 24 goals last season... Absolute maniacs

Yeh he's not as bad as ppl make out, he's defo a player who will feature in future squads so we should get behind him. Problem is he's not played very well in the games I have watched for club and country. I would much rather play Griffith's when hes back or even shankland. The slagging of Scotland didn't help either wether it was true or not. Alot of ppl have it in for him based on that.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh he's not as bad as ppl make out, he's defo a player who will feature in future squads so we should get behind him. Problem is he's not played very well in the games I have watched for club and country. I would much rather play Griffith's when hes back or even shankland. The slagging of Scotland didn't help either wether it was true or not. Alot of ppl have it in for him based on that.

'the slagging of Scotland' was clearly a bit of banter, no matter how pish that banter was. 

He's had a handful of Scotland appearances, where he's had zero service. He's playing at a level that Shankland will very likely never, ever get to. 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Prepare for a deluge of over inflated English transfer market comments.

If it was that simple though, why wouldn't an English Premier League team not just buy Shankland for 500,00k rather than burst a huge amount of money on a guy that's not as good?

The mind boggles with some of the stuff on here 😂

14 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

'the slagging of Scotland' was clearly a bit of banter, no matter how pish that banter was. 

He's had a handful of Scotland appearances, where he's had zero service. He's playing at a level that Shankland will very likely never, ever get to. 

Yeh I ain't basing my analysis on just the senior Scotland games. He was diabolical any time I watched him for the u21s and for Swansea in the epl. Granted he was chasing lost causes for a Swansea team who were destined for relegation so I will give him a pass on that. He's generally been really poor anytime I have watched him. He's looked uninterested and could barely control a ball. I am honestly gobsmacked that Sheffield United spent nearly 20m on him. 

I am willing to persevere a bit with him because he did score quite a few in the championship and we have little else upfront but as soon as Griffith's is fit he should be second or third choice. I would like to see us try and get karlan grant as he looks like a good striker and will probably be playing epl next season.

I genuinely have no beef with mcburnie regarding the comments about Scotland as I am unsure as what was being said and in what context it was said, plus he's always turned up for both youth and senior squads.

My main problem is he just genuinely isn't good enough for international football and we really can't afford to rely on him as our first choice striker if we want to qualify for tournaments in the future. I would much prefer Griffith's or karlan grant if possible. 

6 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

New Call ups :

I like your squad. Liam Kelly is a must and would have him over all 3 of your keepers but apart from that I like it. 

I would be loathe to call up to many u21 players whilst they are in such a great position to qualify for the euros in god knows how long and Clarkes point about allowing that team to grow is a good one. In saying that there are a couple of glaring positions needing filled in the seniors and there is undoubted quality in the u21s. Snodgrass retiring opens the door for Mikey Johnston if he can get fit before Cyprus. Ryan Porteous is better already than Gallagher, Findlay and Devlin with the potential to play at a much higher level. We don't have a right back and Ross McCrorie has just played his finest game yet there for Portsmouth tonight whilst also playing very well there for the u21s. Then there is also Fraser Hornby who is playing very well for his club right now in Belgium. These are probably the 4 at this moment in time I would consider promoting, all talented players and all playing positions in which the senior team needs filled. 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Only let in two tonight so that's a step in the right direction. Are you totally clueless?

Maybe Maybe not, but hardly a must based on his form so far.

After McGregor he was by far the best keeper in the SPL last season.

Hes also playing at a higher level than McLaughlin & also the two Celtic reserve keepers.