Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games?

Guest ElChris04

32 minutes ago, JECK said:

Agree with this. If he continues to play for arsenal before and after these fixtures then looks like the beginning of the end for him and Scotland. I'd much rather players just say from the offset they do not wish to be considered for selection.

His social media always seems to me a clue about his feelings playing for us. Wall-to-wall Celtic when he was there (can't blame him for that, massive fan) and now a lot of arsenal. Never any mention of Scotland ever though, even when we reached the play off, no well done to the lads or anything.

I'm 99% certain he used to have 'footballer for Celtic & Scotland' on his Twitter bio, now just has 'Arsenal footballer'.

52 minutes ago, JECK said:

Agree with this. If he continues to play for arsenal before and after these fixtures then looks like the beginning of the end for him and Scotland. I'd much rather players just say from the offset they do not wish to be considered for selection.

Agreed, should be nowhere near a play off squad.

I know there is a tendency to think the worst, and I have it too. But let's remember he played for Scotland ten days after breaking his jaw with a plate in.

He has played, what, six games for his club? Having been signed when injured and for a lot of money.

Arsenal have only just got him involved in their squad and Clarke stated that there is an 'ongoing issue' they are hoping to clear up fully in the break.

Look, it is beyond frustrating not to have him yet again, especially now, when we see he is playing, but what we surely want, what I want in any case, is A Keiran Tierney at the top of his game for the playoffs. Ideally, yes,

that would mean him getting involved now to prep, but if him missing these two means he gets to nail down his place at arsenal and be a player full of confidence and in top form come March, then so, begrudgingly, be it. 

Had I posted this a couple of hours ago, though, the content would likely have been a good bit different. Very disappointed. 

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Yep.

Leaving him out last time made sense but he's a few games for Arsenal under his belt now. I accept he's not 100% yet but he's surely still a better option than O'Donnell or Palmer.

And presumably we can forget about Ryan Fredricks, eligible I believe but obviously doesn't want to play for us which is a shame as he is better than both the above at right back and would be an improvement.

Just seen the squad and a few things stand out;

1) We are pish 

2) Clarke is going to follow suit with previous managers who flog a dead horse, don’t play youth & repeatedly name unexciting and uninspiring squads

3) Kieran Tierney doesn’t care about Scotland. He’s been back playing for about 8 weeks yet isn’t fit for an international game

4) Stephen O’Donnell co-selects these squads along with Clarke 

5) We only have about 10-12 good players and nearly half of them don’t play for us for various reasons; Allan McGregor, Leigh Griffiths, James McArthur, Kieran Tierney (of late) etc

6) Our goalkeeping pool is close to abysmal 

7) Our defensive pool is abysmal 

8 ) We have virtually no striker barring a good one who doesn’t play for us and has barely played in a year

9) The above striker is unfortunately probably finished 

10) Whilst other countries cap young players and look to youth to fill squads, we know better and look to players barely good enough for our own domestic league & who bring nothing to the national set up whatsoever 

11) Michael Devlin also has a say in squad selections alongside Stephen O’Donnell

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

I know there is a tendency to think the worst, and I have it too. But let's remember he played for Scotland ten days after breaking his jaw with a plate in.

He has played, what, six games for his club? Having been signed when injured and for a lot of money.

Arsenal have only just got him involved in their squad and Clarke stated that there is an 'ongoing issue' they are hoping to clear up fully in the break.

Look, it is beyond frustrating not to have him yet again, especially now, when we see he is playing, but what we surely want, what I want in any case, is A Keiran Tierney at the top of his game for the playoffs. Ideally, yes,

that would mean him getting involved now to prep, but if him missing these two means he gets to nail down his place at arsenal and be a player full of confidence and in top form come March, then so, begrudgingly, be it. 

Had I posted this a couple of hours ago, though, the content would likely have been a good bit different. Very disappointed. 

it was the same excuse last time yet he is able to play 90 minutes in both the europa league and the EPL recently but playing for scotland isn't possible because of the ongoing issue. 

If Tierney was committed he would be there.

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd heard he said he didn't want to play RB.

He is much better at left-back but he seemed content to play right-back under Strachan. I reckon he could even play centre half, if he had the right partner.

Anyway, it's just really disappointing that one of our few genuinely top class players isn't there again.

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

As for Centre Half options, I'm hearing Findlay's going to be out until Easter by looks of it so that's him out any squads for foreseeable.

Shame as he's a cracking centre half, with plenty of pace which is something we don't have.

Aye seen that this morning, in the BBC gossip thing. That was quoting 3 months. A big blow for Killie, but a good option deprived of us. 

That same gossip column features a story that Stoke City are wanting Clarke. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50313480

7 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Aye seen that this morning, in the BBC gossip thing. That was quoting 3 months. A big blow for Killie, but a good option deprived of us. 

That same gossip column features a story that Stoke City are wanting Clarke. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50313480

Stoke can fuck off

I still believe Clarke will turn things around for Scotland

22 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

An ongoing issue which will hopefully be cleared up in the break and Tierney back fully match fit for the games that matter. Ok, fair enough, trust the medical people and our Manager. Steve Clarke is no shrinking violet so if he's cool, I'm cool 😎

I don't think Steve Clarke is "cool".

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

As for Centre Half options, I'm hearing Findlay's going to be out until Easter by looks of it so that's him out any squads for foreseeable.

Shame as he's a cracking centre half, with plenty of pace which is something we don't have.

I think he’s our best centre back now based on consistency & his various attributes.

Regards the Clarke to Stoke thing-

Aberdeen'sDerek McInnes has emerged as one of the leading candidates to take over the vacant manager's post at Stoke City along with Northern Ireland's Michael O'Neill, but Scotland head coach Steve Clarke did not make it on to the English Championship club's final shortlist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50328737

Hard luck ceudmilefailte

On 11/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, ProudScot said:

2) Clarke is going to follow suit with previous managers who flog a dead horse, don’t play youth & repeatedly name unexciting and uninspiring squads

I keep hearing this but it's just nonsense.  Which youth players should he be calling up?

Gilmour is the obvious answer but is he really getting ahead of players like McTominay, McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Fleck, McLean and Armstrong right now? Gilmour is in the right place with the under 21s, who have a very important match of their own.  His chance will come soon enough but this month is just a bit too soon.  

Hornby is the other one that is mentioned a lot but again, this is a player that has played less than 10 senior matches.  It would be crazy to play him, whilst again weakening the under 21s.

All but 3 players in the current squad are aged between 22 and 28.  I don't see the issue with this at all.