Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your 23 Man Scotland Team for the next set of games?

Guest ElChris04

Vis a vis Tierney; Arsenal 'asked that he not be selected'. 

Why we aren't telling Arsenal to do wan, I'm not sure. Nobody had the baws to ask him that, or anything of value. Standard pish from the scottish media. 

51 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Looks like Naismith replacing Russell. I don't particularly rate either Russell or Phillips but they do give us something a bit different than Naismith who's a pretty standard centre forward (past his best).

Elsewhere in the striker debate, I still struggle to see what McBurnie has done at any juncture whether domestically or internationally to warrant the call ups.I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first striking option always selected. It's going to take some serious bottle to leave out someone playing (off the bench) in the Premier League who cost £20m, but let's be frank the consensus is that he's absolutely woeful.

To be fair he scored 20 odd goals in the English Championship last season and he's our top scoring striker in the EPL this season (with one goal).

Ideally we'd be able to call a striker up who's scored more than once in a top European league instead but we are where we are. The bottom line is we are short of alternatives in his position.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Yep.

Leaving him out last time made sense but he's a few games for Arsenal under his belt now. I accept he's not 100% yet but he's surely still a better option than O'Donnell or Palmer.

Maybe he's not 100%, but neither are McKenna or Naismith, and they have been included. 

These games should be prep for the playoffs. That's not going to be the case if we aren't playing the best available players. Or should we assume Tierney will find a way to not be selected for the playoffs as well...

Just now, Tartan blood said:

Maybe he's not 100%, but neither are McKenna or Naismith, and they have been included. 

These games should be prep for the playoffs. That's not going to be the case if we aren't playing the best available players. Or should we assume Tierney will find a way to not be selected for the playoffs as well...

I agree, it's disappointing.

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Maybe he asked Arsenal to say they don't want him to be released. Could have been a good couple of games to get his fitness up. Said it before, I still think he'll retire from international duty quite early

18 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Presumably Aberdeen and Hearts did not have a problem with their being selected. 

Why is everyone up in arms about Tierney? 

The guy has just moved clubs, has clear injury issues that he is trying to overcome and his own club haven't even deemed him ready to be a regular starter.

I don't see what there is to read into there. Why is his commitment is being questioned or even stating that he doesn't want to play RB? 

3 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

The guy has just moved clubs, has clear injury issues that he is trying to overcome and his own club haven't even deemed him ready to be a regular starter.

I don't see what there is to read into there. Why is his commitment is being questioned or even stating that he doesn't want to play RB? 

he's played the last few games so is by definition fit.  if there was a prem game next week he'd be playing. If he's fit for Arsenal, he's fit for Scotland.  unless he's been injured meantime which is not what is being suggested.

all in all, a lot of people pay good money to follow Scotland and I think a bit of transparency would be welcome.

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

he's played the last few games so is by definition fit.  if there was a prem game next week he'd be playing. If he's fit for Arsenal, he's fit for Scotland.  unless he's been injured meantime which is not what is being suggested.

all in all, a lot of people pay good money to follow Scotland and I think a bit of transparency would be welcome.

Add to that the inclusion of McKenna and Naismith after long term injuries, the Tierney thing stinks... 

18 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I made same arguments as you for the last set of fixtures as he had hardly played back in early October. I felt it was right to leave him out.

Not now though, he is playing for Arsenal, he should be in the squad. no excuses. If likes of Naismith are called up and deemed ready then should so KT.

52 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I just don't think Tierney gives a shit about playing for us.

I haven't been able to find the video, but when he pulled out of one of the squads last season (then made a recovery for Celtic's next game), he was asked in s Celtic press conference about his recovery after pulling out and he gave this wry smile, that the Celtic faithful lapped up on social media (and TBF, I don't blame them)

8 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I made same arguments as you for the last set of fixtures as he had hardly played back in early October. I felt it was right to leave him out.

Not now though, he is playing for Arsenal, he should be in the squad. no excuses. If likes of Naismith are called up and deemed ready then should so KT.

Agree with this. If he continues to play for arsenal before and after these fixtures then looks like the beginning of the end for him and Scotland. I'd much rather players just say from the offset they do not wish to be considered for selection.

38 minutes ago, JECK said:

Agree with this. If he continues to play for arsenal before and after these fixtures then looks like the beginning of the end for him and Scotland. I'd much rather players just say from the offset they do not wish to be considered for selection.

Totally agree about this and it should be made public. A little bit of honesty is all fans want from players. I'd sooner a player comes out and states they have retired or no longer wish to be considered for selection than hide behind a clearly flimsy excuse and one that exhonerates him from blame.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Maybe he asked Arsenal to say they don't want him to be released. Could have been a good couple of games to get his fitness up. Said it before, I still think he'll retire from international duty quite early

I've given him the benefit of the doubt in the past, but it's getting a little bit too frequent to be a coincidence. 

Clarke can call up anyone he wants. You could have a broken leg and still be selected. Scotland's medical staff are the ones that should be assessing his ability to play. 

Even if it transpired he wasn't fit enough, it would still be valuable getting the future elite of the national team together and gel.