Karamoko Dembele - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Karamoko Dembele

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Guest ElChris04

A let down? Absolutely, he’s a brilliant talent. But if he doesn’t want to play for us then so be it. We have tremendous players coming through the youth teams from the U21’s to U19’s who don’t get nearly as much hype but continue to progress well. 

The days of us begging players to play for us needs to be put in the bin, it should be a privilege playing for Scotland, not the other way around regardless of how shite we are right now, it comes back to we have some of the most promising youth we’ve had in 20 years. We move on.

Here's hoping he's another Ryan Christie/Islam Feruz, then. 

Entitled to make the call he has made, even though you'd like to think living here, growing up here and coming through a youth system in Scottish football would make him feel more affinity us. But hey ho, that's the way the mop flops. 

At least we can now end all future discussion about the guy 

11 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Here's hoping he's another Ryan Christie/Islam Feruz, then. 

Entitled to make the call he has made, even though you'd like to think living here, growing up here and coming through a youth system in Scottish football would make him feel more affinity us. But hey ho, that's the way the mop flops. 

At least we can now end all future discussion about the guy 

Seems a bit harsh to lump one of our best performing players in with Feruz. I'm assuming you meant Gauld hahaha? 

This is obviously a move that has been brought on by supposedly furthering his career (it'll be a joke to say he has a long burning ambition to represent England). I just hope we don't go crawling back to his representatives at 21-22, when they've realised the amount of competition he'll be up against and he doesn't make the grade.

We've heard about these wonderkids at 16 time and time and time again. He will be pushed to move to England now and I find it strange a few months back, some Celtic fans on Twitter were congratulating the initial switch, as he will be constantly be reminded the older he gets, the less likely he'll make it with the national team whilst playing in Scotland

22 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Seems a bit harsh to lump one of our best performing players in with Feruz. I'm assuming you meant Gauld hahaha? 

Hahaha aye sorry, Gauld is definitely who I mean. 

Hope Christie deleted his TAMB account along wi his twitter, wouldnae want him thinking I meant him! 

49 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

A let down? Absolutely, he’s a brilliant talent. But if he doesn’t want to play for us then so be it. We have tremendous players coming through the youth teams from the U21’s to U19’s who don’t get nearly as much hype but continue to progress well. 

The days of us begging players to play for us needs to be put in the bin, it should be a privilege playing for Scotland, not the other way around regardless of how shite we are right now, it comes back to we have some of the most promising youth we’ve had in 20 years. We move on.

We can call him up in 10 years if he’s not good enough like we might do with Caulker. 

If he’s got any ambition he’ll leave Scotland and never look back. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We can call him up in 10 years if he’s not good enough like we might do with Caulker. 

If he’s got any ambition he’ll leave Scotland and never look back. 

Difference is, Dembele is, for all purposes, Scottish. He has no memory of England and his family is not English. In fact, he is more Ivorian than English.

20 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

In your opinion. Saying he's more Ivorian than English may not represent him in the slightest.

It's just me guessing but I think his connection to ivory coast will be strong given his parents are from there. It's a shame he's picked England but he obviously doesn't feel Scottish.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's just me guessing but I think his connection to ivory coast will be strong given his parents are from there. It's a shame he's picked England but he obviously doesn't feel Scottish.

You would imagine that, it really looks like an agents idea.

He himself can in no way see himself as English unless a couple of trips to St Georges park for training convinced him. Not sure what the SFA version of St Georges Park is.

32 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

In your opinion. Saying he's more Ivorian than English may not represent him in the slightest

Maybe you're right, but at a guess, someone who has spent literally an unmemorable few weeks south of the border, then moving up with his Ivorian family, I cannot see where he would gain his 'Englishness'.

It would seem he has made a call based entirely on which route is likely to take him furthest in the game. 

Not only do England routinely qualify and often go deep into tournaments, but he will be right in the faces of epl scouts as part of the england youth set-up, more so than as part of the scotland youth set-up. 

The smart money is that he's not destined to be at celtic for long, either. 

It's a bit of a mercenary, cut-throat way to look at it, but I suppose you could argue it's a calculation based purely on pragmatism and the best interests of his career, shorn of any sentimentality, be it for the land of his birth, the land of his parents or the land that has mostly reared him. 

He's 16. He can get hitched, have weans, ditch fitba for a normal job etc etc, so he can decide for whom he wishes to play. And of the 3 choices he had, he has gone for the biggest and most successful. 

Oh well. Who knows how we will look at the guy in 10 years time. 

The very best of luck to him.

I've been ribbed for my backing of Scott McTominay, but he is a lad that chose Scotland over England. And he's every bit as good as Rice or Henderson of Longstaff so he's definitely good enough to be in the England squad.

He sacrificed playing in the World Cup and the European Championships and enhancing his wage potential to wear a Scotland shirt. The boy has immense integrity and we should be proud he's one of us.

I'm just waiting till United appoint a real manager so that McTominay develops.