Correct Poll: What players would you like to see called up for the next set of games? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Correct Poll: What players would you like to see called up for the next set of games?

Guest ElChris04

What players would you call up for the next set of games?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple Choices Allowed :

• Mikey Johnston
    • Billy Gilmour
    • Fraser Hornby
    • Ryan Porteous
    • Aaron Hickey
    • Allan Campbell
    • Lewis Ferguson
    • Ross McCrorie
    • Jack Hastie
    • Liam Henderson
    • Leigh Griffiths
    • Greg Stewart
    • Jack Harper
    • Lyndon Dykes
    • Tony Watt
    • Declan Gallagher
    • Craig Halklett
    • Ryan Gauld
    • Tom Cairney

Guest ElChris04

done a poll a few days ago with 19 players from the current 23 man squad who you would like to see dropped for the next set of games, so thought why not do a poll asking what players of the following I’ve included would you like to see called up? 

I've included some of the most sought after names in the U21’s aswell others who are doing decent at club level, added in Griff aswell for the simple reason, say come the next set of games he’s match fit but hasn’t played a game for Celtic, would you still him up? 

Edit : Please ignore the one I made a few minutes ago, forgot to pick the multiple choice option. Only comment on this.

I'd like to see a number of your list called up, not because they are necessarily ready right now but because they have potential to be very good players in the future. Gilmour, Johnston, Hornby and Porteous ld like involved against Kazakhstan and Cyprus. 

Don't see it happening as Clarke is only likely to be interested in the here and now which I can understand. 

I'll get pelters for this, no question, but I'm also considering the inclusion of Bannan.

Hasn't been capped in over 2 years, but he still stands out to me as having a range of passing that we no longer have in the squad. Much like at club level, he can create goals from absolutely nothing. If we're to have a midfield 3, with a holding player (McTominay) and a forward linking player ( McGinn/Christie) then Bannan does bring something else as the 3rd player in there.

When he was younger he was inconsistent for us, while at the same time being in and out of his club side and not really settled. And no, I haven't forgotten drawing with Lithuania. He wasn't exactly stellar in that game, but no one was.. the days of Hanley and Martin at centerback. *shudder* His last two outing were Strachan's final 2 games tho. Beating Slovakia and the draw in Solvenia. Good results, that we would be very happy to replicate now, and from what i remember he did a decent job in both games.

He's been settled at his club for a good few years now, has matured, knows himself better and is better rounded than he used to be, and his creativity is not something anyone else in the squad can provide.

And it feels like there's a gap in center mid now.
McTominay, McGinn and Armstrong seem like certs to call up.
Shinnie and McDonald are out of favour.
Jack and Cairney seem half-hearted about being involved.
McGregor has been the invisible man on the pitch for a while now.
Fleck's debut was about as poor as I've seen in a good while.
So.. in my eye's there's room for Bannan.

Just gonna go all in and name the squad:
McLaughlin, Marshall, Gordon.
Palmer, O'Donnell.
Robertson, Tierney.
McKenna, Devlin, Findlay, Mulgrew.
McTominay, Shinnie, Armstrong, Bannan, McGinn, Christie.
Fraser, Burke, Hastie, Johnston.
Fletch, Griffiths, Shankland.

I'd usually vote for several of the under 21 players; Hornby, Porteous, Johnston, McRorie

However, they are top of their group and their two hardest fixtures on paper are out the way, with four points taken. 

On that basis, let them continue, try to win their group and get that feeling as a group of qualifying together. The Under 21s have been in the doldrums for as long if not longer than the senior team. 

If we have McKenna and Cooper (and, i suppose, Hanley) back available i'd say we can therefore let Porteous continue. If Griffiths is back then Hornby can be left in situ unless he is scoring goals betwene now and then in Belgium. If he is consistently then he should be in and starting, frankly.  

If Johnstone might not be getting much celtic game time for a while anyway. Halkett is on your list but is out injured until January. Otherwise i'd have him in. I'd have had him in last year and every squad since, but hey ho. 

So griffiths if fit and Cairney as another midfielder option. 

21 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I'd usually vote for several of the under 21 players; Hornby, Porteous, Johnston, McRorie

However, they are top of their group and their two hardest fixtures on paper are out the way, with four points taken. 

On that basis, let them continue, try to win their group and get that feeling as a group of qualifying together. The Under 21s have been in the doldrums for as long if not longer than the senior team. 

If we have McKenna and Cooper (and, i suppose, Hanley) back available i'd say we can therefore let Porteous continue. If Griffiths is back then Hornby can be left in situ unless he is scoring goals betwene now and then in Belgium. If he is consistently then he should be in and starting, frankly.  

If Johnstone might not be getting much celtic game time for a while anyway. Halkett is on your list but is out injured until January. Otherwise i'd have him in. I'd have had him in last year and every squad since, but hey ho. 

So griffiths if fit and Cairney as another midfielder option. 

The under 21s aren't a priority 

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The under 21s aren't a priority 

Quite correct. I'd certainly not complain if some of them made their way into the squad. I don't see calling them in to the squad for these games as a priority, either. 

One or two exceptions aside (depending on circumstances), they are not likely to be in contention for the starting 11. 

Why decimate their squad just to have them train with the first team? 

They play one home match on 15th, against Greece. They don't have another game until March after that. 

I'd seriously consider calling a few of them in between Cyprus and the home match against Kazakhstan, so that Clarke et al can get a look at them in training and maybe give them some game time at Hampden as well. But if guys like Griffiths are back, the situation is a little less desperate. 

Just looking at the fixtures in November - 

• 15th - Under 21s at home against Greece
  • 16th - First team away against Cyprus
  • 19th - First team at home against Kazakhstan 

It would seem to me that unless Clarke wants to use any of the under 21 lads in Cyprus they should stay where they are and play against Greece.  They players he wants to take a closer look at could potentially join up with the main squad once they've returned from Cyprus, and if any spaces become available in the squad (injury or suspension) they could come in that way.

This would mean the under 21s aren't weakened for their important match, and if we do give them the chance to step up, it is at home against a slightly weaker team.  

Guest ElChris04
7 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

No Steven Calker?! 😱

Forgot to add him to the list, but honestly I wouldn’t call him up. Another player who views Scotland as second best because his England Career never worked out. 

Unlike McTominay and Cairney who where both approached with England and but turned them down and kept there loyalty to Scotland and have expressed that many a times.

I’m glad his mental health is doing well and he’s getting his career on track in turkey. But it’s simply a no for me. 

I'm in the camp for keeping the under 21's together and hoping they qualify for the 2021 finals.

As suggested, if possible add some to the senior squad after the Greece game. Don't know how the remaining full team and under 21 games clash but I would imagine it would still be possible to start bringing players into the senior set up at other times

The under 21 finals would provide those players experience of a properly structured finals tournament.

I really don't like the format for Euro 2020.

I voted for Tony Watt just to see the results, would the other two who voted for him please make their way to the nearest padded cell.