Scotland u19 v Germany u19 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland u19 v Germany u19

The_Dark_Knight

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I really hope we do too. Fed up passing all our best players away to either richer clubs (Chelsea) or losing them because we don't play them. 

We should be trying to find games that these young lads can get blooded in and gain valuable 1st team experience. 

It has been to Scotlands detriment the lack of youth / Scottish players coming through at Rangers. Hopefully that will change as clearly something is being done correctly at rangers now. 

In terms of the boys that played, Mcpake and Mebude look like they are ready for first team football now. Kennedy maybe needs a bit of growth and would need to see more of maxwell but he looked decent. 

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rangers had an ideal opportunity in the lower leagues to build a good young team but instead spunked their money on Kevin Kyle, John Daly and Fran Sandanza.

They did indeed and had players like Kal Naismith, Craig Halkett, Barrie Mckay and Lewis Macleod to name a few. 

Hopefully they and celtic start to see the performance and financial benefit that producing your own players provides. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rangers had an ideal opportunity in the lower leagues to build a good young team but instead spunked their money on Kevin Kyle, John Daly and Fran Sandanza.

Our youth system was in a shambles for years before our rebuild. Many young players where given a chance in the first few years and outside of McKay and MacLeod none where good enough. A lot of the players Given first team football back then, are in the lower leagues.

Warburton started a rebuild of our youth systems, then Allen came in and revamped then. Our current era of youngsters are miles ahead of what we had back then.

4 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Our youth system was in a shambles for years before our rebuild. Many young players where given a chance in the first few years and outside of McKay and MacLeod none where good enough. A lot of the players Given first team football back then, are in the lower leagues.

Warburton started a rebuild of our youth systems, then Allen came in and revamped then. Our current era of youngsters are miles ahead of what we had back then.

Wasn't as much the young players they had I was talking about, I meant they should have been signing good, young Scottish talent instead of over the hill shite.

3 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

They did indeed and had players like Kal Naismith, Craig Halkett, Barrie Mckay and Lewis Macleod to name a few. 

Hopefully they and celtic start to see the performance and financial benefit that producing your own players provides. 

I think Celtic are pretty good at bringing youth players through.  If you look at last season -

• Tierney (40 appearances), McGregor (59) and Forrest (56) were key players.
  • Ralston, Henderson and Johnston (23) had opportunities.  
  • Dembélé also made a few appearances.  
  • Whilst they didn't come from the Celtic youth teams, we also had Hendry, Christie, Morgan and Burke getting games.  

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Is it? I'd say the fact you've won nothing since going bust is the legacy of a flawed signing system.

Count me as neutral. Rangers are investing heavily in youth development and Scotland will benefit from that. The players on loan are being developed with the first team in mind. I’m not sure what else they’re supposed to do. 

37 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think Celtic are pretty good at bringing youth players through.  If you look at last season -

• Tierney (40 appearances), McGregor (59) and Forrest (56) were key players.
  • Ralston, Henderson and Johnston (23) had opportunities.  
  • Dembélé also made a few appearances.  
  • Whilst they didn't come from the Celtic youth teams, we also had Hendry, Christie, Morgan and Burke getting games.  

Celtic are quite good at signing Scottish players Armstrong, Christie etc but not sold on their developing of their own players.

Forrest is 28, macgregor is 26 so Tierney is the last regular to have come from their youth system. 

I think celtic could do better in producing their own but accept they have done quite well for the national team in the last few years. 

Rangers undoubtedly could have built a young Scottish side.

They also could sign and/or develop young Scottish players now and also dont.

Celtic also could have developed much more young Scottish talent during the years Rangers were out of the SPL & they had an unchallenged league, they brought through Tierney & Latterly McGregor and that was it though. 

Edited by ProudScot

On the other hand, during the years when Rangers were in the lower leagues, and out of their hair, Celtic could've dotted several youth performance type schools around Scotland and pretty much hoovered up the best young Scottish kids and turned them into superstars.

If they did then imagine how much more improved their production line would've been, which would've been good for Celtic (Selling the youngsters on, ala Ajax) and for Scotland.

Celtic missed a trick. (They could still do it, but the old firm would rather spend multi-millions on kids from foreign youth academies)

Edited by The_Dark_Knight