Scotland u19 v Germany u19 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland u19 v Germany u19

The_Dark_Knight

Excellent result and win.

Was fearing a bit of a dooing going on the back of the first two games and Germany humping Belarus 9 (YES, NINE) -2 ; but what a great win and fair dues to Stark and the coaching.

For the Elite round IIRC, the teams are now seeded by their performance in this campaign and put in to groups of four again with the winners going to the tournament next year. That could be blethers, but I'm sure it's that :)

Noticed its in Belfast next year! So if we do manage to get there, hopefully get a few fans will get over for it.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Very good win. 

Not sure what qualification for the Elite round actually means, but it sounds good. Was fun watching the Germans lose it a bit towards the end. 

We've made it to the Elite round regularly the last few years at u17 and u19 level, it is basically the final qualification hurdle before the finals but only the best teams are there, it is difficult to qualify as it is a small euros but this team look good

What was pleasing was that it wasn’t down to a significant degree of luck in the way that a 1-0 for the so-called underdog can often be. 

If the Germans had had a penalty or scored that free header, we could have had a penalty, not hit the bar and scored with some of our chances too.

Not time to get carried away or anything, but in the next few years we really should be above Germany in the world rankings...

A good few of those players have another year at that age group as well.... Kai Kennedy, Leonard, Jamie Hamilton, Maxwell. Ciaran Dickson is a very talented player as well.

Add to that the players that could still play in that age group as well... Cochrane, Anthony McDonald, Hickey and Gilmour namely. Very promising.

I never caught the game. How did Archie Mair play?

Recently I've been enjoying watching the Under 19s more than the Under 21s.

It was a good performance, both skill wise and mentality wise. Defensively, it looks like they actually ENJOY defending. Leonard, Mebude, McPake and Kennedy look promising, also.

I was watching the NFL last night/this morning, Mair has some kick on him! He could be a kicker in the NFL. He's the opposite of Craig Gordon who can barely kick it past the halfway line.

Only saw the first half but the boys looked really good and obviously a phenomenal result. 

Mair looked a decent keeper and the boys up front were really sharp. 

Pleased that the 4 boys from Rangers started and made a difference. Hopefully the entire team can make it onto the next stage. 

Just now, RenfrewBlue said:

Only saw the first half but the boys looked really good and obviously a phenomenal result. 

Mair looked a decent keeper and the boys up front were really sharp. 

Pleased that the 4 boys from Rangers started and made a difference. Hopefully the entire team can make it onto the next stage. 

They came out their shell in the 2nd half and started to play some proper football, which was not a surprise. 

48 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Normally in the youth teams there are two or three who look like they’re there to add a bit of brawn without looking up to much. Every player tonight looked like they had a chance to have a career it a pretty good level. 

Remember it’s 19 and under who are the Performance School group. 

Yeah you are right there actually they are the first performance school group, puts the schools in a good light. 

12 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Wonder how many actually came through the performance schools played tonight

Good question.

I was actually thinking of that during the match.

Just from memory: Mair, Mebude, Campbell. No idea who else.

Other notable players from the performance schools are Gilmour, Rudden, Cochrane, Mayo and Shiels.

We looked a lot better in the second half, when we played the ball more into feet. Having watched the youth teams this last week, I honestly feel like these lads want to get the ball down and play but are being told to play it long. We have midfielders in the u21s/U19s who are great on the ball and have an eye for a pass but our defender's keep going long in both age groups, and that style especially doesn't suit the U19s, we have no physical presence, especially against a gigantic German team.

I know it sounds hypercritical after a win, but it is just something I have noticed. That aside it was a fantastic performance and in the second half I felt we where the better team and should've had a penalty. On a side note how bad where the Germans for diving and going down at the slightest bit of contact

I'm not sure who my MOTM was but Dapo Mebude came onto an amazing game in the second half, his touch and skill where fantastic. That sequence where he just skipped past 3 players before being taking out by the 4th. When was the last time you saw a Scottish player doing that? McFadden probably. I really hope he gets some game time at Rangers this season. 

We have a lot of very exciting young prospects, I have a real hope for the future. Mebude, Campbell, Kennedy and McPake all have the potential to go very far in the game, let's just hope they and the rest of squad get some game time over the next year or 2.

7 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Good question.

I was actually thinking of that during the match.

Just from memory: Mair, Mebude, Campbell. No idea who else.

Other notable players from the performance schools are Gilmour, Rudden, Cochrane, Mayo and Shiels.

I know that Leonard, Mcpake and Ethan Ross came through the schools as well, all cracking players

10 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I was watching the NFL last night/this morning, Mair has some kick on him! He could be a kicker in the NFL. He's the opposite of Craig Gordon who can barely kick it past the halfway line.

Craig Samson couild kick it from one end of the park to the other, longest I 've every seen somebody kick a ball.

Unfortunately he couldn't catch a ball.

9 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Wonder how many actually came through the performance schools played tonight

From the squad the following are from the PS.

Archie Mair

Chris Hamilton

Nathan Patterson

Dean Campbell

Ciaran Dickson

Marc Leonard

Ethan Ross

Josh McPake

Dapo Medbude

Basically the spine of the team.

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

From the squad the following are from the PS.

Archie Mair

Chris Hamilton

Nathan Patterson

Dean Campbell

Ciaran Dickson

Marc Leonard

Ethan Ross

Josh McPake

Dapo Medbude

Basically the spine of the team.

Surely this must put to bed all this shite about closing them and leaving it to the clubs?

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Surely this must put to bed all this shite about closing them and leaving it to the clubs?

You would think so. On my view there is no logical basis for binning these schools. The performance schools are great for combining much more training during the week with a focus on education. This is something our footballers have severely lacked in recent years! 

19s were tremendous last night, especially second half. They deserved to win - it wasn't a lucky 1nil.

Rangers have some really exciting players on their hands, hopefully they use them! 

2 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

Rangers have some really exciting players on their hands, hopefully they use them! 

I really hope we do too. Fed up passing all our best players away to either richer clubs (Chelsea) or losing them because we don't play them. 

We should be trying to find games that these young lads can get blooded in and gain valuable 1st team experience.