So who we getting in play off currently - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So who we getting in play off currently

bonny78

22 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

We used it once against Israel. No one mentions when we used it when we drew with England 2-2.

When did I mention that it's a wagic wand? I suggest you read my "Sack the SFA" thread if you think I like three at the back. I don't like three at the back. I've never once said otherwise. I prefer four at the back. However, there's 17 years of evidence that says that our central defenders can't play at the top level in a four.

You say that we've played with a three. Over the past 17 years, in competitive matches, we've played with four at the back 99% of the matches. That isn't a fair representation of three.

I'm not saying that our fortunes would improve with a back three, but i'd like to find out.

Off the park, Scottish football is a mess and it needs a change, right up to SFA level. No amount of system changing will fix that mess.

It's accurate and it's appalling. I can actually see the same people doing it again and again, if new people dare agree with me. Ignoring the supreme paranoia, as you say, we need new people in this place, so to run them off the board is madness.. Unless they want the TAMB to close. (No idea if they exist)

I’m really not in the mood to debate the whole back line of defence issue. I know you love it and love disparaging the SFA (who doesn’t?) but give it a rest for tonight eh?

What’s your thoughts on the playoffs? I know you don’t think we’ll get through them but do you agree with the the format?

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’re the second person to say that to me tonight. 

@Chripper/ @The_Dark_Knight, whilst being a bit of a bawbag (sorry man but you are) contributes to the board and helps keep it going.

The place would be far quieter without him. It’s like @bonny78. He is a troll and a bit of a scrotum but this place would a hell of a lot quieter without him. 

Live and let live and all that. 

Oh gee, damned with... No praise.

As I said, people can say whatever they want about me, I'm like Teflon, nothing marks me.

After seeing Scotland use a four at the back, and be constantly beat-up, i think it's time for us to try something new. If people don't agree? Fair enough. As i said, there is severe lack of footballing knowledge in this place.

I mean, the first time that i mentioned Robertson playing as an anchorman it was like i was declaring that I'm the true son of God. :lol: Cut to a few months later, a lot of people are on board. (With Robertson as anchorman, not me being the son of God.... Yet)

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m really not in the mood to debate the whole back line of defence issue. I know you love it and love disparaging the SFA (who doesn’t?) but give it a rest for tonight eh?

What’s your thoughts on the playoffs? I know you don’t think we’ll get through them but do you agree with the the format?

Sure.

Honestly, mate, i couldn't tell you. What is the format? A semi final and then a one-off final?

I think any way of a team making it through the backdoor is a positive.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Oh gee, damned with... No praise.

As I said, people can say whatever they want about me, I'm like Teflon, nothing marks me.

After seeing Scotland use a four at the back, and be constantly beat-up, i think it's time for us to try something new. If people don't agree? Fair enough. As i said, there is severe lack of footballing knowledge in this place.

I mean, the first time that i mentioned Robertson playing as an anchorman it was like i was declaring that I'm the true son of God. :lol: Cut to a few months later, a lot of people are on board. (With Robertson as anchorman, not me being the son of God.... Yet)

I wasn’t attempting to give you praise. Why would I praise a pain in the arse? 😂

I do value anyone who wants to contribute in here though. To an extent. 😋

The operative word is "might".

Well exactly.

You bleat on about a back 3 but even if you convince everyone in here that a 3-5-2 (1-1) is the best formation it wouldn’t matter. You’d need to convince Steve Clarke. Good luck with that. 

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Sure.

Honestly, mate, i couldn't tell you. What is the format? A semi final and then a one-off final?

I think any way of a team making it through the backdoor is a positive.

Well why don’t you find out?

Are you a genuine Scotland supporter?

Or are you just an utter wank that most on here think you are?

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wasn’t attempting to give you praise. Why would I praise a pain in the arse? 😂

I do value anyone who wants to contribute in here though. To an extent. 😋

Ummmmmmm.... Reverse psychology? :P

Same. It would cease to be a discussion board it no one discussed things. And oh please! You love my three at the back mantra. Everyone does. ;)

Honestly, though, in an ideal world we would have two world class central defenders... And i would never have to mention the words "three", "at", "the" and "back" ever again.

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Well exactly.

You bleat on about a back 3 but even if you convince everyone in here that a 3-5-2 (1-1) is the best formation it wouldn’t matter. You’d need to convince Steve Clarke. Good luck with that. 

I know. But that's what annoys me, why am i the only one who actually sees that our central defenders can't play in a four?

Even if McKenna and Souttar are both fit, those two are English Championship level players.

Both Strachan and McLeish got the point were they tried a three (strangely enough, only for one competitive match each). Strachan almost beat England with it and McLeish lost to Israel.

But you're right, Clarke will never deviate from a four.

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Ummmmmmm.... Reverse psychology? :P

Same. It would cease to be a discussion board it no one discussed things. And oh please! You love my three at the back mantra. Everyone does. ;)

Honestly, though, in an ideal world we would have two world class central defenders... And i would never have to mention the words "three", "at", "the" and "back" ever again.

Reverse psychology? Eh, no. 

Nobody loves your 3 at the back obsession. Absolutely nobody. I do respect your passion for it though. Is there a need to bring it up every 5 minutes though? I would say not. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Reverse psychology? Eh, no. 

Nobody loves your 3 at the back obsession. Absolutely nobody. I do respect your passion for it though. Is there a need to bring it up every 5 minutes though? I would say not. 

I mention it every five minutes? Search my posts, you'll see that that's a misconception.

Also, you're the one who brought it up. Just go back one page. You said that i look down on people who want to play four at the back.

That's actually the way that it goes, quite regularly. It's a misconception that i bring it up, in reality i rarely do.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

19 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I know. But that's what annoys me, why am i the only one who actually sees that our central defenders can't play in a four?

Even if McKenna and Souttar are both fit, those two are English Championship level players.

Both Strachan and McLeish got the point were they tried a three (strangely enough, only for one competitive match each). Strachan almost beat England with it and McLeish lost to Israel.

But you're right, Clarke will never deviate from a four.

You may not remember this but we have discussed this at length. The reason I don’t think a back 3 would work is we have one (possibly two) of the best left backs in Europe.  

We don’t have any players that play as wing backs (left or right) for their clubs. Why would we play them there for Scotland?

If Robertson or Tierney start playing there then Clarke should consider a back 3. If they don’t then he shouldn’t. He has a couple of days to work with his squad. It would take weeks to change players who are used to paying in a back 4 to a back 3. 

Anyway, I said I couldn’t be bothered with this debate........

Edited by Texas Pete

7 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I mention it every five minutes? Search my posts, you'll see that that's a misconception.

Also, you're the one who brought it up. Just go back one page. You said that i look down on people who want to play four at the back.

That's actually the way that it goes, quite regularly. It's a misconception that i bring it up, in reality i rarely do.

I was using the art of exaggeration mate. 

I have seen other posters refer to you as ‘our 3 at the back friend’ or ‘that 3 at the back wanker’.  You mention it a lot. You’re famous for it. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You may not remember this but we have discussed this at length. The reason I don’t think a back 3 would work is we have one (possibly two) of the best left backs in Europe.  

We don’t have any players that play as wing backs (left or right) for their clubs. Why would we play them there for Scotland?

If Robertson or Tierney start playing there then Clarke should consider a back 3. If they don’t then he shouldn’t. He has a couple of days to work with his squad. It would take weeks to change players who are used to paying in a back 4 to a back 3. 

Anyway, I said I couldn’t be bothered with this debate........

I covered most of this: Here

There's really no point having amazing fullbacks if the middle is as soft as a bowl of porridge. Plus Robertson has been taking pelters from people in this place for months, so it's not like people are being blown away from having a world class fullback.

A football match is won and lost in the middle. We need to play all our best players where they can actually influence matches. 

If we play Robertson as anchorman and Tierney as a central defender we won't be losing their attacking influences, as they aren't able to attack for us anyway.

I covered most of this: Here

There's really no point having amazing fullbacks if the middle is as soft as a bowl of porridge. Plus Robertson has been taking pelters from people in this place for months, so it's not like people are being blown away from having a world class fullback.

A football match is won and lost in the middle. We need to play all our best players where they can actually influence matches. 

If we play Robertson as anchorman and Tierney as a central defender we won't be losing their attacking influences, as they aren't able to attack for us anyway.

We have discussed it at length over the last couple of years. You won’t change my mind and I won’t change yours. So why are we still still discussing it? 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I was using the art of exaggeration mate. 

I have seen other posters refer to you as ‘our 3 at the back friend’ or ‘that 3 at the back wanker’.  You mention it a lot. You’re famous for it. 

If person X (the TAMB) brings up a question, and person Y (Me) answers it x 100 times, it's silly to call person Y repetitive as person X is bringing it up just as much. :)

Besides, it just underlines how slow people are in this place that they actually think i like three at the back. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We have discussed it at length over the last couple of years. You won’t change my mind and I won’t change yours. So why are we still still discussing it? 

As per usual, person X (you) brought it up and person Y (me) is answering.

Honestly, that's always the pattern lol

God, why else do you think i wrote the q & a sheet? Bored of answering the same old questions time and time again.

9 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

As per usual, person X (you) brought it up and person Y (me) is answering.

Honestly, that's always the pattern lol

God, why else do you think i wrote the q & a sheet? Bored of answering the same old questions time and time again.

You sound like you’re making yourself out to be some sort of victim here. You’re really not. 

Do you live in Glasgow? Maybe we should meet up and have a pint and have a proper discussion? 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

You sound like you’re making yourself out to be some sort of victim here. You’re really not. 

Do you live in Glasgow? Maybe we should meet up and have a pint and have a proper discussion? 

Victim? Well, it's not exactly how I would describe it, but yes, I'd definitely say that there's a mass amount of miscommunication.

People think I wanna ditch a four because i prefer a three? That's not right at all. People bitch about me being repetitive about a three, but maybe that's actually because no one really gets it. And obviously they don't, if they think i like a three. :lol:  I'd try it as we've pretty much tried everything else

You think it's frustrating for everyone else? How bad do you think it is for me? We play two matches, ship eight goals, and people want to continue down the same route. It is actually quite insane.

I do live in Glasgow. Maybe. I'll think about it.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Victim? Well, it's not exactly how I would describe it, but yes, I'd definitely say that there's a mass amount of miscommunication.

People think I wanna ditch a four because i prefer a three? That's not right at all. People bitch about me being repetitive about a three, but maybe that's actually because no one really gets it. And obviously they don't, if they think i like a three. :lol:  I'd try it as we've pretty much tried everything else

You think it's frustrating for everyone else? How bad do you think it is for me? We play two matches, ship eight goals, and people want to continue down the same route. It is actually quite insane.

I do live in Glasgow. Maybe. I'll think about it.

That’s because no one really gets it? That’s where my pretentious comment came from earlier.

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s because no one really gets it? That’s where my pretentious comment came from earlier.

Obviously they don't if they actually think I like three at the back. I'd play it as a last resort.

You know what I think it is? I think I'm more tolerant than most people here. I mean, we have a guy who has Paul Dickov Tourettes and mentions Dickov many times a day. A guy who says, like clockwork "James Forrest - What a player", every time he scores and we have a lad who quotes Whoscored.com every single time a Scottish player steps onto a pitch.

I notice all those things, but I've never lost my temper over it or said anything. People are free to say or to do what they want. 

9 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Obviously they don't if they actually think I like three at the back. I'd play it as a last resort.

You know what I think it is? I think I'm more tolerant than most people here. I mean, we have a guy who has Paul Dickov Tourettes and mentions Dickov many times a day. A guy who says, like clockwork "James Forrest - What a player", every time he scores and we have a lad who quotes Whoscored.com every single time a Scottish player steps onto a pitch.

I notice all those things, but I've never lost my temper over it or said anything. People are free to say or to do what they want. 

😂😂😂 leave @bonny78 out of this. He’s obviously got something wrong with him (sorry Bonny). 

Not sure who the Forrest guy you’re referring to is but I know who the other guy is. Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone lose their temper though. 

We are all free to say what we want but as I mentioned earlier, if you’re going to act like a walloper then people will call you on it. Same goes for me. 

Edited by Texas Pete