So who we getting in play off currently - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So who we getting in play off currently

bonny78

Does anyone seriously think we'll get past Serbia away in a play off final? That is the nightmare senario for me. Im still excited by it all and im excited by our team and feel there is something there once we get some players back. We simply must have the final at Hampden i feel, thats are best chance.

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

Does anyone seriously think we'll get past Serbia away in a play off final? That is the nightmare senario for me. Im still excited by it all and im excited by our team and feel there is something there once we get some players back. We simply must have the final at Hampden i feel, thats are best chance.

No.

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

We would lose 5 or 6-0 out there 

I was sure I read a while ago the actual final for these were supposed to be taking place at neutral venue e.g. you play the first one at Hampden and if you win that you then play at a stadium in Germany, Holland or France.

That would be far more logical as then TA would actually know the venue rather than this ridiculous last minute dash.

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Guys, I think there is a good chance we wont get Bulgaria in the first play off, league B and C teams are likely going to get called up in A and B play off games.   

If Finland qualify directly, they will do a draw to decide which League C team plays against us and which ones move up to the League A and B playoffs. 

33 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I was sure I read a while ago the actual final for these were supposed to be taking place at neutral venue e.g. you play the first one at Hampden and if you win that you then play at a stadium in Germany, Holland or France.

That would be far more logical as then TA would actually know the venue rather than this ridiculous last minute dash.

No. One of the League C teams will be at home in the final. Even if it was a neutral venue you still wouldn't know if we had qualified or not.

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Guys, I think there is a good chance we wont get Bulgaria in the first play off, league B and C teams are likely going to get called up in A and B play off games.   

Yeah, there’s a draw to determine who moves to Path A. We might get Romania, Israel or Hungary instead. 

Bulgaria and Israel seem we weakest. 

Norway were all but ruled out of the qualifiers tonight. They’ll probably play Serbia unless Luxembourg/Lithuania can take some points from Portugal in November. 

10 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Yeah, there’s a draw to determine who moves to Path A. We might get Romania, Israel or Hungary instead. 

Bulgaria and Israel seem we weakest. 

Norway were all but ruled out of the qualifiers tonight. They’ll probably play Serbia unless Luxembourg/Lithuania can take some points from Portugal in November. 

Aye, it looks like Sweden have sealed 2nd place with taking that point off Spain. Even if Romania beat Sweden in November, it won't be enough, as Sweden still have to play Faroes in the last game whilst Romania travel to Spain. Romania needed to win last night to give themselves a decent chance. That draw with Norway last night was one of those games where the point wasn't much good to either them. Norway will probably pick up another 6 points from their last 2 games but it won't be enough to catch Sweden.

So, it looks like we will get Bulgaria, Israel, Romania or Hungary in the semi final and if we can beat them it's Norway or Serbia in the final. Norway have home advantage in that semi so I would make them slight favorites.

Edited by Orraloon

48 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, it looks like Sweden have sealed 2nd place with taking that point off Spain. Even if Romania beat Sweden in November, it won't be enough, as Sweden still have to play Faroes in the last game whilst Romania travel to Spain. Romania needed to win last night to give themselves a decent chance. That draw with Norway last night was one of those games where the point wasn't much good to either them. Norway will probably pick up another 6 points from their last 2 games but it won't be enough to catch Sweden.

So, it looks like we will get Bulgaria, Israel, Romania or Hungary in the semi final and if we can beat them it's Norway or Serbia in the final. Norway have home advantage in that semi so I would make them slight favorites.

Despite our terrible record against Norway, I would rather play them in a final than Serbia. 

Just get the feeling that there's much more likelihood that we would fold away to a decent Eastern European team. 

28 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Despite our terrible record against Norway, I would rather play them in a final than Serbia. 

Just get the feeling that there's much more likelihood that we would fold away to a decent Eastern European team. 

You say ‘away’. I am sure I read somewhere that there was a draw next month to determine where the final would be and if so, 50:50 it could be a home game?

56 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

One game at a time, we've got to beat another diddy team first.:lol:

But for me it's hard to say which potential finalist is better. I'm not sure Serbia are that good at the moment. They got a draw against Portugal but, to me anyway, that's starting to look like a bit of a freak result ? The only teams they have beaten are Lux and Lith and got absolutely humped by Ukraine. I think Norway's recent record looks a wee bit better than Serbia's.

Home advantage will be crucial for the final, IMO. I think they are both better than us but if we can get to the final and get home advantage I think that would level things up a bit. 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Didn't realise Norway have home advantage for that game - interesting somewhat. A nice bit of extra time in that game wouldn't go amiss to. 

8 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'd be willing to bet on it. It was one month the last time, but I'd multiple it by 12 this time around.

There's a reason why I have zero interest in the play-off and haven't given it a passing thought.

You're posting in a thread about the playoffs without giving them a passing thought? 

9 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'd be willing to bet on it. It was one month the last time, but I'd multiple it by 12 this time around.

There's a reason why I have zero interest in the play-off and haven't given it a passing thought.

Must be great to know everything and be able to see into the future. 

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

That would be a logistical nightmare with near empty stadiums for most of the matches. 

Why would it be a logistical nightmare. Also what's the problem with a half full stadium. It's much more fair than giving a team a home advantage. Also why didn't they just go for a two legged play off.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Why would it be a logistical nightmare. Also what's the problem with a half full stadium. It's much more fair than giving a team a home advantage. Also why didn't they just go for a two legged play off.

Firstly, you can’t force countries to host matches so who would decide on these neutral venues?

Two sets of fans would need to arrange accommodation and travel to one venue instead of just one. 

UEFA don’t want half empty stadiums as it looks bad on TV. Not to mention the millions of pounds in revenue that would be lost. 

They couldn’t have two legged playoffs as they wanted all Nations League group winners to be guaranteed a playoff. There is only space in the calendar for two matches so it was the only way they could work it. They could have made it so only the top 2 teams in each league got a playoff but we probably wouldn't have been happy about that at the time (although we’d have been delighted after the end of the Nations League).