So who we getting in play off currently - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So who we getting in play off currently

bonny78

As things stand we will face one of Bulgaria/Romania or Israel at Hampden. Finland who we would have been set to face have a great chance to qualify automatically, if they win their remaining 3 games, at home to Armenia and Liechtenstein and in Greece then they are there. Even 7pts from the games will be enough for them as long as Bosnia don't want their 3 games which includes a game v Italy. 

Assuming it ends up being Bulgaria/Romania or Israel they will have a draw to decide which plays us, the other 2 will go into the Nations League Group A play offs.

If we win that one off game at Hapmden we will then play the winner of the other semi final which looks increasingly likely to be between Norway and Serbia. There will be a draw next month to determine who hosts the final. That draw will be absolutely crucial to our chances as currency I can't see us beating either away from home even if we win the semi final.

14 minutes ago, magicTs said:

As things stand we will face one of Bulgaria/Romania or Israel at Hampden. Finland who we would have been set to face have a great chance to qualify automatically, if they win their remaining 3 games, at home to Armenia and Liechtenstein and in Greece then they are there. Even 7pts from the games will be enough for them as long as Bosnia don't want their 3 games which includes a game v Italy. 

Assuming it ends up being Bulgaria/Romania or Israel they will have a draw to decide which plays us, the other 2 will go into the Nations League Group A play offs.

If we win that one off game at Hapmden we will then play the winner of the other semi final which looks increasingly likely to be between Norway and Serbia. There will be a draw next month to determine who hosts the final. That draw will be absolutely crucial to our chances as currency I can't see us beating either away from home even if we win the semi final.

Can’t see us beating Serbia or Norway tbh. 

16 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Seriously, does anyone even care about the play-off?

Personally, I've not even registering it.

We have no chance of getting promoted via any route 

The play off to try and get to 2020??? 

Yea I care lol.  Who doesn't? 

18 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Seriously, does anyone even care about the play-off?

Personally, I've not even registering it.

We have no chance of getting promoted via any route 

Each to their own. It represents the best opportunity we've had in some time of making it to a major finals even though I believe we will need to win the draw for home advantage to have much of a prayer. 

For the record we have already been promoted to Nations League B  as a result of topping our group.

3 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

The play off to try and get to 2020??? 

Yea I care lol.  Who doesn't? 

I don't. The state we're in Scotland would embaress themselves.

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

Each to their own. It represents the best opportunity we've had in some time of making it to a major finals even though I believe we will need to win the draw for home advantage to have much of a prayer. 

For the record we have already been promoted to Nations League B  as a result of topping our group.

I get that, but i wouldn't bank on us qualifying via the play-offs.

I'm not even thinking about it, to be honest.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I don't. The state we're in Scotland would embaress themselves.

I get that, but i wouldn't bank on us qualifying via the play-offs.

I'm not even thinking about it, to be honest.

Probably pointless commenting on a thread in which people who do care and are thinking about it are discussing it then.

4 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Probably pointless commenting on a thread in which people who do care and are thinking about it are discussing it then.

The very nature of forums are 'opinions".

My opinion is that we have more important issues to attend to without being so presumptuous as to assume that we'd qualify via the play-offs.

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

The very nature of forums are 'opinions".

My opinion is that we have more important issues to attend to without being so presumptuous as to assume that we'd qualify via the play-offs.

Who presumed we'd qualify?  You also didn't say anything about "important issues" merely that you didn't care about the play off and that you weren't thinking about it. I'm all ears if you have opinions as to why we shouldn't care about it!

5 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Who presumed we'd qualify?  You also didn't say anything about "important issues" merely that you didn't care about the play off and that you weren't thinking about it. I'm all ears if you have opinions as to why we shouldn't care about it!

Read my "Sack the SFA" thread if you're all ears, as i outlined the problems and solutions.

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/14375-sack-the-sfa/

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Is this guy kidding.there aren,t half some strange characters claiming to be supporters these days.if you aren,t even thinking of the play offs,why bother starting a thread about the play offs in the first place.very odd indeed.

Are you talking about me?

I didn't start a thread about the play-offs.

The dross that's being lined up for the semi at home I think we'll winit

Can't see us getting past a Serbia home or away. Norway are bang average so maybe at home

However bar golovkin Russia are average and they've made mince meat of the also rans in our group

3 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Can't see us getting past a Serbia home or away. Norway are bang average so maybe at home

However bar golovkin Russia are average and they've made mince meat of the also rans in our group

Serbia aren’t that good or they wouldn’t have been in League C. Same with Norway although they did have a fantastic result against a poor Spanish team the other night. 

If we can win the first playoff match at Hampden and if we’re lucky enough to get a home tie in the final then we have a great chance. 

If the final playoff match is away then we’ll struggle but you never know what can happen in a one off match. 

Was looking at the play offs for Nations League A, B and D and of course the irony is that due to us now having been promoted the play off scenario for any future campaign will be harder on the back of it. For example Group B is currently Bosnia, Wales, Slovakia and Norther Ireland. 

Path A: Switzerland, Iceland, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*
Path B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Wales, Slovakia, Northern Ireland
Path C: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*
Path D: Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus

*In the current scenario, a draw would decide which of Bulgaria, Israel or Romania would fill the empty slot in Path C, and which two would go into Path A.

3 hours ago, Bino's said:

I see us losing to Serbia or Norway in the final (Home or away).

Golovin, Dzyuba, Fernandes, Cheryshev, (Didn't play in the two matches with us) are all class. 

Get to the final. Playoff game and the occasion should see us turn up with determination, and we are not good enough then we cant go home knowing we gave it our best, its 11 v 11. We can go into a run of three wins come March and winning breeds confidence. 

Edited by romanticscot