Still looking for a striker - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Still looking for a striker

0Neils40yarder

Guest ElChris04
53 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Least Shankland looks like he wants to be there.

His and Finlay’s reaction to scoring was great to see. 

This. 

Findlay tweeted aswell today was the proudest moment of his career. He’s got the old humble mentality. Him and Shankland get what it means to play for there country.

8 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

GiveN the fucking state some folk have got themselves in over the Shankland call up Im delighted he scored. Cunts like Kris Boyd and Scott Allan, both model pros of course, saying he wasn’t up for it. Thats as well as our own ever increasing dickhead fans that base talent on the size of a players  club and wage packet. 😂😂😂🙈

Shanklands reaction to his goal and also the boy Findlays was fucking great. Both absolutely buzzing. You think they give a fuck about who they were playing against ? Do they fuck.

👍

Monster Munch is a waste of space, as for poncy boy Allan, he should STFU and focus on his one pass per game career, Shankland will have a better international career than both of them put together.

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Least Shankland looks like he wants to be there.

His and Finlay’s reaction to scoring was great to see. 

Probably something they dreamed about doing when they were bairns. Fantastic reactions from both players.  👍 

Shankland will be in the next squad i imagine. He's probably the 3rd choice striker now.

For how he played, it was decent enough. Especially when you consider he's a young guy, making his debut and first start.

Against Russia he looked ok. Didn't have any chances, but did as much outside the box work as anyone else bar Fletch would have. Certainly didn't do anything wrong and didn't look out of place against that opposition.

Against San Marino, he was marginalised a bit by our completely unstructured attack. Midfielders just pouring forwards trying to get themselves a goal, meant he was back to goal, and everything was happening just behind him. No one really looked to play him in, then just shot from distance themselves. Hence his goal came as a rebound from a shot from distance. Still, when the ball did break to him or someone did get it to him with his back to goal, he held it up and laid it off well.

He was given an opportunity and scored. Can't ask much more of the lad.

25 minutes ago, andyD said:

Shankland will be in the next squad i imagine. He's probably the 3rd choice striker now.

For how he played, it was decent enough. Especially when you consider he's a young guy, making his debut and first start.

Against Russia he looked ok. Didn't have any chances, but did as much outside the box work as anyone else bar Fletch would have. Certainly didn't do anything wrong and didn't look out of place against that opposition.

Against San Marino, he was marginalised a bit by our completely unstructured attack. Midfielders just pouring forwards trying to get themselves a goal, meant he was back to goal, and everything was happening just behind him. No one really looked to play him in, then just shot from distance themselves. Hence his goal came as a rebound from a shot from distance. Still, when the ball did break to him or someone did get it to him with his back to goal, he held it up and laid it off well.

He was given an opportunity and scored. Can't ask much more of the lad.

Only 24. Will probably end up at a bigger club unless United get promoted. 

When did Griffiths make his Scotland debut? Probably older than 24. 

6 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Only 24. Will probably end up at a bigger club unless United get promoted. 

When did Griffiths make his Scotland debut? Probably older than 24. 

I think debut at 22. 1st start at 23 under Strachan. But didn't really get in the team properly until 27.

With Fletch at 32 and Griff soon to hit his 30s, then we're going to need options.

McBurnie at 23 has a bit of developing to do as he's contributed very little in his 8 caps so far.
Shankland, 24, looked decent against Russia and got a goal the other night.
Burke, 22, has potential tho seems to be playing wider again for his club.
Harper, 23, yet to score in La Liga2.. look like he's just not good enough.
Ryan Hardie, 22, sat on a League One bench most weeks.
Hornby, 20, making a bright start in Belgium.

So right now it feels like Burke, Shankland and Hornby might be the future.

I didn’t know Boyd had been bumping his gums about Shankland.

If Kris Boyd doesn’t like it, I’m delighted he played and scored. I’d like to see Shankland test himself at a higher level, which I’m sure he will next season if not sooner.

If there’s someone better fit, available and actually interested in playing for Scotland great.

Where was Matt Phillips? I think he’s as good as anything else we’ve got.

I would imagine that Naismith will be back in the squad when fit and hopefully Griffiths can get back to full fitness and either break back into the Celtic team or get a move elsewhere. Hopefully Fraser Hornby will also develop.

Naismith is hardly the striker everyone wants at the moment but he’s probably a better option than Shankland. At the moment anyway. 

McBurnie could also become a big player for us over the next couple of years. 

Everyone is complaining about our lack of strikers but whoever plays up front needs service. Kenny Dalglish in his prime wouldn’t have scored against Russia the other night as he’d barely have got a touch. 

Clarke has to find a way of playing against decent sides that makes us compact at the back and creative going forward. Good luck with that. 

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Sure it was said that he was having a small op to clear up an issue. That's going to become more and more the norm when players get the chance to have 10 day breaks mid-season.

Cheers. He normally tends to show up.

That’s probably not just a Scottish problem.

It makes sense from the clubs point of view to manage niggles and minor injuries this way.

Another nail in the coffin of international football though.

58 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Cheers. He normally tends to show up.

That’s probably not just a Scottish problem.

It makes sense from the clubs point of view to manage niggles and minor injuries this way.

Another nail in the coffin of international football though.

Think it was Klopp who dropped most of his internationals the week before an international break and the week after the break it was a cup weekend so gave them another weeks rest. Almost as big a break as some of the Scottish teams get with their early start in Euro competition.

5 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I was flicking through the scores the other day and noticed Alcocorn were 3 up at Sporting Gijon at half time. Is Jack Harper playing much there? Given lack of updates on him this season I assume he isn't.

He has played in their last 6 matches. Not sure if he's been any good though?