San Marino. 2nd half match thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

San Marino. 2nd half match thread

Big Ramy 1314

10 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

totally disagree. christie is our best player easily. we also do not have a player with no rough edges in their game.

Christie is not good enough - or disciplined enough - for international football right now.

Just like two years ago he was not good enough to be trusted for Celtic.

Ryan Christie has the potential - if he is properly managed - to be as good as Kernny Dalglish for Scotland.

Ultimately we have to be happy with today. Six goals and an enjoyable enough performance against a dreadful outfit. Good to see McGinn grab a few goals, Shankland and Findlay grab their first goals and for Armstrong to remind everyone of his quality. Very little more we could ask. McGregor really should have been rested but that is my only gripe

While easy to say “it’s only San Marino” today showed that what our midfield is capable of not having look after the defence and play with a degree of freedom (easily McTormany and McGinns best game in a Scotland shirt), with Forest taking part in every play and Robertson not looking exposed.

Do not think we have found the answer to our defensive woes as it was one of those games where they were not going to be tested (thought Palmer looked hungry to impress, and linked up much better than O’Donnell does going down the wing).

conditions where poor, but main thing was there was a bit of hunger about the team that’s been missing since last year (to often in the past when we play teams like this we have a habit of just turning off by the time the 3rd goal has went in).

hopefully the first of three wins on the trot to build moral ahead of the games in March.

Edited by wanderer

Cant argue with a 6-0 win v San Marino given the horrendous conditions today. So after that performance, what have we learned about the team? Armstrong needs to be playing 1st team football, Shankland can do a job for us, Laim Palmer looks to have nailed the rb position as his own. Easiest game for the defence, where it allowed the midfielders to push higher up. The next 2 games are crucial to keep building momentum going into the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Rohan said:

Cant argue with a 6-0 win v San Marino given the horrendous conditions today. So after that performance, what have we learned about the team? Armstrong needs to be playing 1st team football, Shankland can do a job for us, Laim Palmer looks to have nailed the rb position as his own. Easiest game for the defence, where it allowed the midfielders to push higher up. The next 2 games are crucial to keep building momentum going into the playoffs. 

Only thing we learned is San Marino are simply terrible in the worst possible way. If a team can lose to us 6 nil then they have to be especially bad. Other than that it was a good win for us.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

While easy to say “it’s only San Marino” today showed that what our midfield is capable of not having look after the defence and play with a degree of freedom (easily McTormany and McGinns best game in a Scotland shirt), with Forest taking part in every play and Robertson not looking exposed.

Do not think we have found the answer to our defensive woes as it was one of those games where they were not going to be tested (thought Palmer looked hungry to impress, and linked up much better than O’Donnell does going down the wing).

conditions where poor, but main thing was there was a bit of hunger about the team that’s been missing since last year (to often in the past when we play teams like this we have a habit of just turning off by the time the 3rd goal has went in).

hopefully the first of three wins on the trot to build moral ahead of the games in March.

It was good to build moral and confidence but I wouldn't look to much into the result. We did well but the manner in which we lost to Russia is still in my mind and we won't qualify through the play offs if we play like we did against russia in both games. 

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Good game for the stattos anyway. 

A 1st half hat-trick, first since 1952.

A Killie scorer, first since 1970.

A lower league scorer, first since ????

And a future "what happened next" with the free kick award for the 6th :lol:

First Killie player ever to score for Scotland at Hampden.

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Christie is not good enough - or disciplined enough - for international football right now.

Just like two years ago he was not good enough to be trusted for Celtic.

Ryan Christie has the potential - if he is properly managed - to be as good as Kernny Dalglish for Scotland.

That's a bold statement.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Christie is more than ready for the Scotland side.

I would start Christie every game for Celtic and Scotland. He a player, much like Armstong who unfortunately hasn't been playing much of late, who runs at defences and breaks the lines teams set up. Opponents don't like that sort of player. 

As for the "not disciplined enough"......30 league games for Celtic, 2 yellows, 1 red. The red obviously stuck in someone's head a bit too much.

15 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would start Christie every game for Celtic and Scotland. He a player, much like Armstong who unfortunately hasn't been playing much of late, who runs at defences and breaks the lines teams set up. Opponents don't like that sort of player. 

As for the "not disciplined enough"......30 league games for Celtic, 2 yellows, 1 red. The red obviously stuck in someone's head a bit too much.

He's had 4 reds in his career which is a lot for somebody his age TBF.

Stuart Armstrong should’ve probably kicked the ball back to Halfway or just put it out for a throw in rather than score.

It ultimately doesn’t man much in the context of the game, but 5-0 up with a few minutes to go I didn’t think it was great sportsmanship.

45 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I agree with this.

Armstrong needs a move away from Southampton asap, him playing regularly would be even better for scotland

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Stuart Armstrong should’ve probably kicked the ball back to Halfway or just put it out for a throw in rather than score.

It ultimately doesn’t man much in the context of the game, but 5-0 up with a few minutes to go I didn’t think it was great sportsmanship.

Awa tae fuk. If you get a chance to score a goal you take it. It's not Armstrong's fault that the goalie is a dafty.

McTominay booked again though. I think if he gets another one he is suspended again? That needs to be managed properly with the play off in mind.

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Awa tae fuk. If you get a chance to score a goal you take it. It's not Armstrong's fault that the goalie is a dafty.

McTominay booked again though. I think if he gets another one he is suspended again? That needs to be managed properly with the play off in mind.

His yellow was soft as fuck. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us. Clearly won the header by jumping about two feet higher than his opponent who got caught by his leading arm. No malice, no elbow, totally natural body position. Only reason the San Marino lad got caught was because he was physically incapable of challenging for the ball. 

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

His yellow was soft as fuck. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us. Clearly won the header by jumping about two feet higher than his opponent who got caught by his leading arm. No malice, no elbow, totally natural body position. Only reason the San Marino lad got caught was because he was physically incapable of challenging for the ball. 

So, in your opinion, wee guys shouldn't be allowed to go for headers and if they do they should expect to get an elbow in the pus? Seems fair enough to me.;)

Just now, Orraloon said:

So, in your opinion, wee guys shouldn't be allowed to go for headers and if they do they should expect to get an elbow in the pus? Seems fair enough to me.;)

No, I'm saying players shouldn't be punished for winning a ball fairly haha. Watch the replay and tell me where McTominay should have hid his appendage while jumping to head the ball. Free kick was soft but understandable in this modern climate where having arms is a huge disadvantage to a footballer, however I felt a yellow was completely unwarranted. 

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just found this bit so no need to worry too much about it.

"Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the qualifying group stage. They are not carried forward to the play-offs nor the final tournament."

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

No, I'm saying players shouldn't be punished for winning a ball fairly haha. Watch the replay and tell me where McTominay should have hid his appendage while jumping to head the ball. Free kick was soft but understandable in this modern climate where having arms is a huge disadvantage to a footballer, however I felt a yellow was completely unwarranted. 

Aye, I agree it was soft but the rules have turned it into a game for softies these days. Not much we can do about that, unfortunately.

33 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

James Scott likes this. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

What happened?  I was too busy swearing at the ref for missing the obvious last man foul on the halfway line.  Next thing I see we've got a free kick just outside the box!  

12 minutes ago, daviebee said:

What happened?  I was too busy swearing at the ref for missing the obvious last man foul on the halfway line.  Next thing I see we've got a free kick just outside the box!  

Their keeper agreed with you and picked the ball up outside his box.   Missed it myself at the time.

45 minutes ago, daviebee said:

31 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Their keeper agreed with you and picked the ball up outside his box.   Missed it myself at the time.

Aye, their keeper like everyone else in the ground thought it was a foul (and a textbook yellow card) in the centre circle, so picked the ball up 2 yards outside his box and rolled it back towards halfway.

Ref hadn’t blown, so free kick was for handball.

Should have been a Scotland free kick, but on halfway.

I’d have been raging if that happened against us. Could’ve handled it better, presume that was why Armstrong was a bit sheepish afterwards?

Edited by sbcmfc