San Marino. 2nd half match thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

San Marino. 2nd half match thread

Big Ramy 1314

5 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

It's a start, and whilst the conditions haven't been great.

Let's see if we can end this group on a high with 6pts in November.

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Well said mate. We need momentum..

Despite what so many in our support think or may say, the games against Kazakhstan and Cyprus are must win. 

6-0, glad to see the clean sheet, would not have liked present team to face a jittery equaliser as per against Gibraltar. 

Looking back then, Steven Fletcher had grabbed a hat trick (first in 46 years) but today feels more like a day for strikers for the future?

Edited by exile

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

McGregor's been absolutely rank for Scotland in his appearances so far.

Armstrong's the much better option.

I've said before I don't get the McGregor hype either.

McTom-McGinn simply has to be the two infront of the defence and then you have more forward thinking midfielder with a goal and a forward pass in him. Whether that's Armstrong (really needs more minutes at club level so hopefully loan in January), Christie or recall for Tom Cairney.

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Think I've asked this before but does 3rd in group mean Pot 3 for World cup groups or is that done on the world ranking? Guess them looking to do a nations league for World cup qualfying maybe means it won't matter a huge amount and might make more sense to stay lower ranked.

Based on ranking. We are 29th in Europe which sneaks us into Pot 3 for now. Final two games will determine if we stay there. 

Not ideal conditions today, but fair dues, they won and convincingly so.

Yes, San Marino etc but the from about 30 minutes onward it was very difficult to play.

This was the ideal fixture for us. Got some goals, and we know can look forward - those awful Belgium and Russian games are behind us - but we have to beat Cyprus and Kazakhstan in November. After that it's the semi-final at Hampden in March.

I thought Shankland did well. Some nice wee flicks, got himself in to decent positions - yes albeit against San Marino - but delighted he got  goal too. Is he good enough? I don't know, possibly not ; but I hope he's at least in the squad for the double header in November.

Again, I'm trying to take the opponents into account ; but a clean sheet. Even previous campaigns against Gibraltar, Faroes etc we've tended to ship a goal to the minnows. So to keep a clean sheet surely is a tiny, tiny wee bonus.

No doubt we are a long way off the likes of Russia and Belgium, but with a bit of belief, right tactics, and commitment we can hopefully start climbing as a nation/team.

Russia hammered Cyprus 5-0 in Nicosia tonight, so it just shows you how decent a side they are. I think they might even beat Belgium in Moscow next month. They were a penalty kick away from the semi finals in the World Cup last year and came on leaps and bounds in the last eighteen months, it'll be interesting to see how good they are at the Euros.

Anyhoos, its a wee fraction of positivity  tonight after a terrible last four games.

Roll on November!

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

I've said before I don't get the McGregor hype either.

McTom-McGinn simply has to be the two infront of the defence and then you have more forward thinking midfielder with a goal and a forward pass in him. Whether that's Armstrong (really needs more minutes at club level so hopefully loan in January), Christie or recall for Tom Cairney.

Armstrong's a much more disciplined player than Christie, who in my opinion is still liable to total brain fucks (see Livingston last Sunday). At International level Armstrong is the more reliable player for a disciplined formation.

Christie - at this stage of his development - is good for the last 15 if you need to go for broke.

There's a reason he was sent out on loan to Aberdeen for a couple of seasons. Some rough edges are still evident in his game. 

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Armstrong's a much more disciplined player than Christie, who in my opinion is still liable to total brain fucks (see Livingston last Sunday). At International level Armstrong is the more reliable player for a disciplined formation.

Christie - at this stage of his development - is good for the last 15 if you need to go for broke.

There's a reason he was sent out on loan to Aberdeen for a couple of seasons. Some rough edges are still evident in his game. 

Agree with this. 

Can't understand the criticism of McGregor. He's an excellent player who is currently off form at his club. Why would he be different for Scotland? 

Lazy of the coach to pick him, he obviously needs a rest. 

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Good game for the stattos anyway. 

A 1st half hat-trick, first since 1952.

A Killie scorer, first since 1970.

A lower league scorer, first since ????

And a future "what happened next" with the free kick award for the 6th :lol:

My pal had on 5-0

Hes still raging 😂😂

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

totally disagree. christie is our best player easily. we also do not have a player with no rough edges in their game.