Two up front - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Two up front

Hertsscot

Scotland like lots of other teams have played one up front for years.  When I started watching and playing most teams had two. If we were bold enough to play two up front who should we go with.  In the past combos seemed to be a big target man and a wee nippy fella who would actually score the goals (Toshack and Keegan, Hateley and McCoist) or goalscorer and creative guy with quick feet (Rush and Beardsley).  Who would you go for because I'm struggling to think who would fill the vacancies.  At the minute I'm inclined to go for McBurnie and Forrest because I've never been convinced by him as a winger but I'm sure there are other pairs.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Scotland like lots of other teams have played one up front for years.  When I started watching and playing most teams had two. If we were bold enough to play two up front who should we go with.  In the past combos seemed to be a big target man and a wee nippy fella who would actually score the goals (Toshack and Keegan, Hateley and McCoist) or goalscorer and creative guy with quick feet (Rush and Beardsley).  Who would you go for because I'm struggling to think who would fill the vacancies.  At the minute I'm inclined to go for McBurnie and Forrest because I've never been convinced by him as a winger but I'm sure there are other pairs.

At the moment we are thin up top, a bit like me. I’d go with a 3/5/2. Of the  2 up front 1 would be either Lyndon Dykes ( if we can get him) or Ross Stewart, these are the only 2 forwards I know of that are suitable to play as a lone striker. The second centre forwards would depend on the opposition, you could go with another out and out forward like Shankland against teams like San Marino. Against better teams you could go with Naismith, Christie, Forrest, Russell, Fraser etc, lots of options, depending on opposition, how you want to play.

20 minutes ago, RabS said:

At the moment we are thin up top, a bit like me. I’d go with a 3/5/2. Of the  2 up front 1 would be either Lyndon Dykes ( if we can get him) or Ross Stewart, these are the only 2 forwards I know of that are suitable to play as a lone striker. The second centre forwards would depend on the opposition, you could go with another out and out forward like Shankland against teams like San Marino. Against better teams you could go with Naismith, Christie, Forrest, Russell, Fraser etc, lots of options, depending on opposition, how you want to play.

If you’re playing 2 up front why the need to choose one that is suitable to play the lone striker? 

Edited by er yir macaroon

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If you’re playing 2 up front why the need to choose one that is suitable to play the lone striker? 

Against the better opposition it’s probably more of a 3/5/1/1 formation as the second striker will be dropping back into midfield to hassle, win possession, link up with the midfield, wing backs and the other striker left up front. 
But Stewart and Dykes are the only two I know of that have the physical presence we need up front, that can hold up the ball, link up play, occupy 1 or 2 centre halves to create space etc.

Edited by RabS

8 minutes ago, RabS said:

Against the better opposition it’s probably more of a 3/5/1/1 formation as the second striker will be dropping back into midfield to hassle, win possession, link up with the midfield, wing backs and the other striker left up front. 
But Stewart and Dykes are the only two I know of that have the physical presence we need up front, that can hold up the ball, link up play, occupy 1 or 2 centre halves to create space etc.

I’m not sure either of those players are ready for international football, but I’ll admit we have few options.

I have no problem with a back 5, but as soon as it becomes a 3 we’re wide open. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not sure either of those players are ready for international football, but I’ll admit we have few options.

I think they’re worth a go, it can’t be any worse than we’ve been doing. Both of them are around 23/24, both are in form scoring for their clubs. But the point about having them is it gives our team a focal point for the rest of the team to play off, even if they don’t score, they will hopefully create space or assist on the 2nd striker or one of the midfielders scoring. 

10 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

As far as being wide open, if you look at my posts in the thread “What is our Best Starting Eleven”, I’ve addressed how we can be better defensively.

Edited by RabS