What is our best starting 11? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is our best starting 11?

Rohan

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

At a time of crisis this team is physically too weak. We need to ditch the two wingers tactic and put in players who will contest the ball, close down space and all the other boring stuff. We need to get in teams faces carve out two or three chances per game and hope we take one. It’s the sad reality for the moment. We need to prioritise what we’re doing when we don’t have the ball. 

I disagree with this, the wingers we have are still capable of closing down space and all the other boring stuff. Fraser for example works as hard as anyone in the team. Plus we can't just defend for 90 minutes we still need a threat on the break, an out ball and pace on the counter. The major thing is protecting our central Defenders as they are by far the poorest area of our team. We have to play defensively narrow and force teams out wide so that hopefully the likes of McKenna and whoever can deal with crosses when they come in or Tierney and Robertson can stop the crosses coming in at all. If teams do try and play through the middle we don't need cute ball players in there like McGregor or Christie, we need ball winners in Midfield that can break up play like McGinn and McTominay who can then quickly transition the ball to quick wide players. The wide players have to defend in the unit as well though they can't just hang about in the final 3rd, but every wide player in the greatest teams in the world have to defend as well as attack just by doing exactly what u say tracking back and closing down space. 

4 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I disagree with this, the wingers we have are still capable of closing down space and all the other boring stuff. Fraser for example works as hard as anyone in the team. Plus we can't just defend for 90 minutes we still need a threat on the break, an out ball and pace on the counter. The major thing is protecting our central Defenders as they are by far the poorest area of our team. We have to play defensively narrow and force teams out wide so that hopefully the likes of McKenna and whoever can deal with crosses when they come in or Tierney and Robertson can stop the crosses coming in at all. If teams do try and play through the middle we don't need cute ball players in there like McGregor or Christie, we need ball winners in Midfield that can break up play like McGinn and McTominay who can then quickly transition the ball to quick wide players. The wide players have to defend in the unit as well though they can't just hang about in the final 3rd, but every wide player in the greatest teams in the world have to defend as well as attack just by doing exactly what u say tracking back and closing down space. 

Snodgrass and Fraser did nothing whatsoever defensively against Russia. Zero. It’s one of the reasons we got humped.

37 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Snodgrass and Fraser did nothing whatsoever defensively against Russia. Zero. It’s one of the reasons we got humped.

Snodgrass and Fraser, the team shape, and our organisation is not how we were beaten in Russia. Individual errors from centre backs, a wonder goal and then a defensive capitulation that again stemmed from an abysmal central defence cost us that game. Snodgrass is not what we need agreed, but I say that in an attacking sense as he has no pace on the counter. Who do you suggest we bring into the wide positions to strengthen things defensively because we will never get up the pitch if we stick 4 central Midfielders along midfield

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Exactly. Griffiths isn't in the right mindset or is injured, mckenna is off the boil, fletcher clearly doesn't give a flick feck and its also up for debate if Tierney is committed, some even touted him for captain.

Oh and Forrest is great for celtic but he goes through the motions with scotland, he shouldnt be there 

Your an Aberdeen fan? and you reckon McKenna is off the boil. He's in nearly every ones best eleven.

Was he playing badly before the injury?

Imo Tierneys got all the attributes to play left wing, he's a good dribbler and has the pace to go past players. He's very positive going forward and likes to take players on and has an excellent cross. His recent performances for arsenal show this. I would be happy to try him out at left wing and put fraser over to the right wing. Allows us to put fit Tierney and Robertson in our team.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Imo Tierneys got all the attributes to play left wing, he's a good dribbler and has the pace to go past players. He's very positive going forward and likes to take players on and has an excellent cross. His recent performances for arsenal show this. I would be happy to try him out at left wing and put fraser over to the right wing. Allows us to put fit Tierney and Robertson in our team.

Would also like to see this tried also offers a bit more defensive cover that some have been asking for

49 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Snodgrass and Fraser, the team shape, and our organisation is not how we were beaten in Russia. Individual errors from centre backs, a wonder goal and then a defensive capitulation that again stemmed from an abysmal central defence cost us that game. Snodgrass is not what we need agreed, but I say that in an attacking sense as he has no pace on the counter. Who do you suggest we bring into the wide positions to strengthen things defensively because we will never get up the pitch if we stick 4 central Midfielders along midfield

Armstrong on the right and Christie (maybe Middleton) on the left. These players have pace, work hard off the ball, and have stamina to get up and down, can deliver a pass or cross, and will still be effective even if they’re not on form (and won’t have a wee greet if the game’s on astroturf). 

9 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Would also like to see this tried also offers a bit more defensive cover that some have been asking for

I’d go for this. Potentially Tierney is our best footballer in any position, but we’ve all seen him be very effective for Celtic in an advanced position on the left. It would suit Robertson as well, having that quality of player ahead of him. Left mid for Tierney, covering for Robertson on the overlap.

It annoys me that some were stating that the team playing on Thursday was almost our best 11. 

I’d say only Marshall, Robertson, McGinn and Fraser would be in our best fully fit starting 11 at the moment. And even then Clarke played Fraser as RW rather than his preferred LW position. 

The centre back pairing is way way down in the pecking order. 

McKenna and Bates did well for us in the nations league and would be my starting 2 and if not Soutter or Hanley or Cooper are ahead of the two that started. No wonder we’re conceding. 

Tierney’s level is massively above SOD or Palmer even as a right back. He’d improve us massively. 

McTominay is also an obvious choice to replace Fleck or McGregor. Christie also is clearly in our strongest 11...I have no idea why Clarke omitted him. 

Snodgrass is not good enough anymore, I have no idea why he played as a left winger over Fraser.

Forrest is our best right winger, simple as that. He’s doing it for Celtic, impressing in Europe and has played some brilliant football for us recently. He’s obviously our best right winger. 

McBurnie is miles ahead of any of our other strikers. Premier league quality, those who say he isn’t good enough for Scotland have no idea. 

Clarke’s biggest challenge is getting all our best players onto the pitch. And having a settled 13/14 players that know their job. Our strongest 11 is good enough to qualify but we’re a B team each time we play at the moment and it’s not even a consistent B team in term of personel.

17 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Armstrong on the right and Christie (maybe Middleton) on the left. These players have pace, work hard off the ball, and have stamina to get up and down, can deliver a pass or cross, and will still be effective even if they’re not on form (and won’t have a wee greet if the game’s on astroturf). 

Jesus man you really don't like Ryan Fraser do you. He is superior to all those players at all those things. 

6 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Jesus man you really don't like Ryan Fraser do you. He is superior to all those players at all those things. 

I do like him when he's playing well. I just think this a time to roll the sleeves up. Bring him on as a sub by all means if the circumstances are right, but we need to fight at the moment and he won’t do it.

Fraser is quick over ten yards but I don’t think he has the endurance to go up and down the park for 90 minutes and still produce a burst of pace. At least  not at the moment for whatever reason. He’s also not superior at getting stuck into opponents and winning 50/50s. 

The San Marino game does not apply, by all means play him in that one. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

David Marshall has let 14 goals in over the  last five games.

Sorry, but no bad his central defenders are or how good the opposition has been that is not good enough.

If Jon McGlaughlin was still at Hearts the board would be in uproar, but because he is in the English first division he cant be good enough. By all accounts he was the main reason Sunderland even made it to the play offs last season

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Your an Aberdeen fan? and you reckon McKenna is off the boil. He's in nearly every ones best eleven.

Was he playing badly before the injury?

He was in a slump and off form. He can get back to the player he was, he will eventually need to move south to become a better player

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I do like him when he's playing well. I just think this a time to roll the sleeves up. Bring him on as a sub by all means if the circumstances are right, but we need to fight at the moment and he won’t do it.

Fraser is quick over ten yards but I don’t think he has the endurance to go up and down the park for 90 minutes and still produce a burst of pace. At least  not at the moment for whatever reason. He’s also not superior at getting stuck into opponents and winning 50/50s. 

The San Marino game does not apply, by all means play him in that one. 

Hes been going up and down the park for 90 minutes with plenty bursts of pace for Bournemouth until recently when he was benched for some reason.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Hes been going up and down the park for 90 minutes with plenty bursts of pace for Bournemouth until recently when he was benched for some reason.

Of course an on form Fraser is good for us. The idea of having two wingers is just a risk we can’t afford - at least if it’s apparent they’re not on it. I couldn’t understand how Snodgrass came out after half time. He was blowing out his arse after 20 minutes. That combined with an off form Fraser and you’ve got wave after wave of attack from both flanks. Centre halves will eventually make a mistake under those circumstances. 

37 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Of course an on form Fraser is good for us. The idea of having two wingers is just a risk we can’t afford - at least if it’s apparent they’re not on it. I couldn’t understand how Snodgrass came out after half time. He was blowing out his arse after 20 minutes. That combined with an off form Fraser and you’ve got wave after wave of attack from both flanks. Centre halves will eventually make a mistake under those circumstances. 

I do like the idea of Tierney on the left wing, he could turn out to be our version of Gareth bale only not such an unsociable cunt 

Fraser moves to the right, forrest moves to the moon and we are set 😜

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I do like the idea of Tierney on the left wing, he could turn out to be our version of Gareth bale only not such an unsociable cunt 

Tbf if it wasn't for forrest we wouldn't have the play off but it would be good to have an extra option for the wings because we haven't got loads of wingers playing at a good level plus it allows us to have tierney and Robertson in the same team.

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Mibbes aye. At the risk of talking Chripperish I would like to see Tierney centre midfield.