What is our best starting 11? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is our best starting 11?

Rohan

Guest ElChris04

4-2-3-1 

Bain

Tierney-Soutter-Cooper-Robertson

McTominay-McGregor 

Forrest-Christie-Fraser 

Griffiths

Bain got a lot of stick for the Kazakhstan game but to be fair to him he was caught off guard due to the poor marking of the defence. I thought His first call up against Mexico he looked really comfortable. I hope he can bounce back to his best after injury with us at Celtic. 

Guest ElChris04
27 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Forgot about Tierney.

6 played last night.

I mean, if they can carry there club form and alliance together it’s a win / win especially if they are better than what we have 🤷🏼‍♂️

edit : that was meant for you @vanderark14 lol 

Edited by ElChris04

6 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

I mean, if they can carry there club form and alliance together it’s a win / win especially if they are better than what we have 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's the thing, though, how many of our players win trophies?

Excluding the Celtic players, as they could put Charlie Nicholas in their team and he'd collect an SPL winner's medal at the end of the season.

Marshall;

Tierney, McKenna, Souttar, Robertson;

McTominay; McGregor

Fraser, Armstrong, Forrest.

Griffiths

If fit and playing regularly.  Throw in Bates, Jack, Snodgrass, Naismith, McGinn and things look better.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Presumably it's a 4-3-3

Marshall; Robertson, McKenna, Souttar, Palmer; McGinn, Fleck, McTominay; Fraser, McBurnie, Burke.

Seven of them played last night.

Depending on who we play it should be a 4141 or a 4411. I think McTominay and McGinn should be a constant partnership in Midfield as they are the best ball winners we have, can play box to box and can both be creative in attack and disciplined in defence if they dovetail each other. Against better sides I would add in another defensive Midfielder, probably Fleck or McLean just to help shield the defence. We should play as narrow as possible to protect the defence. With Tierney and Robertson as full backs but instructed to prioritise defending over attacking force the opposition out wide and have Hanley and McKenna in Central defence who are just responsible for defending and that is it anything that comes their way. We should play with Fraser and Burke out wide to utilise their pace on the counter with McGinn and McTominay taking turns to support and hope to god Griffiths gets fit. Against smaller sides bring in a more creative midfielder probably McGregor for Fleck and Forrest for Burke who is better at playing in tight positions and instruct the full backs to get forward more. At the minute we don't seem to have an identity the players play as individuals theywant to  play the way they do for their clubs but they need to stick to a system that suits our qualities. Burke up front on his own is no good can't hold the ball up he needs space to drive into we aren't utilising his skills properly. We need pace on the counter Snodgrass is no good for this far too slow. We need ball winners McGinn and McTominay only two we have. We have basic central Defenders so just find a system that asks them to do the basics and hope they do it well. When we press we leave our defence far too open. When our full backs go forward we leave our defence far too open. Just stick to a system that utilises our players best qualities. McGregor and Christie etc are fine against smaller sides but against better opposition they are found out

34 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Depending on who we play it should be a 4141 or a 4411. I think McTominay and McGinn should be a constant partnership in Midfield as they are the best ball winners we have, can play box to box and can both be creative in attack and disciplined in defence if they dovetail each other. Against better sides I would add in another defensive Midfielder, probably Fleck or McLean just to help shield the defence. We should play as narrow as possible to protect the defence. With Tierney and Robertson as full backs but instructed to prioritise defending over attacking force the opposition out wide and have Hanley and McKenna in Central defence who are just responsible for defending and that is it anything that comes their way. We should play with Fraser and Burke out wide to utilise their pace on the counter with McGinn and McTominay taking turns to support and hope to god Griffiths gets fit. Against smaller sides bring in a more creative midfielder probably McGregor for Fleck and Forrest for Burke who is better at playing in tight positions and instruct the full backs to get forward more. At the minute we don't seem to have an identity the players play as individuals theywant to  play the way they do for their clubs but they need to stick to a system that suits our qualities. Burke up front on his own is no good can't hold the ball up he needs space to drive into we aren't utilising his skills properly. We need pace on the counter Snodgrass is no good for this far too slow. We need ball winners McGinn and McTominay only two we have. We have basic central Defenders so just find a system that asks them to do the basics and hope they do it well. When we press we leave our defence far too open. When our full backs go forward we leave our defence far too open. Just stick to a system that utilises our players best qualities. McGregor and Christie etc are fine against smaller sides but against better opposition they are found out

Honestly, mate, it's come to the point where i only really trust four players: Robertson, Fraser, Tierney and McTominay

The rest of our players simply don't belong at international level. They've proven that they can't compete even against average team's. We're now a pot away from San Marino and the Faroe Islands.

Had a rethink:

3-5-2

Marshall

Souttar McKenna Tierney

Phillips                                              Taylor

Robertson

McGinn                    McTominay

Griffiths                    McBurnie

---

With all the abuse Robertson is receiving i doubt anyone will mock the concept of "playing him out of position" now. Our best players (Robertson, Tierney, McTominay) have to be in the middle.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

Not our best xi but truthfully, we need to start thinking of the future. We are getting pumped with our best team, so in reality it won't make much difference in getting guys like Gilmour, Hickey and Johnston in early, you know before their 25/26th birthday.

Marshall (literally no one else ATM)

Hickey McKenna Porteous Robertson/Tierney

Johnston Mcginn Gilmour Mctominay Fraser

Mcburnie

Sadly McBurnie is the closest thing we have to a decent striker, Burke has woeful decision making and seems better outwide, shankland hopefully gets a decent move and continues his fantastic form at a higher level, Hornby seems roughy around the edges and like it will take quite a few years before he becomes the player we hope, Griff is sadly finished at this level.

Hopefully in midfield Turnbull kicks on when he returns and adds a great goalscoring option to midfield.

Goalkeeping wise Mccrorie has been getting rave reviews in the championship and is seen as the natural successor to Shagger when he retires. Another at Ibrox who is considered one of if, not thee most promising since Gilmour, is 15yr old CB Leon King. Obviously won't be near even the u21s for years but has been playing well above his age groups. He is in the Scotland u17s and has played in the rangers u20s/u17s since 14. Definitely one to keep your eye on.

We really need to take the Wales and n.ireland approach and call up decent youngsters and get them used to the team and formation, some will fail, some will succeed, but where we are right now, we need to take that chance and build for the next euro campaign. Hell even Ireland did it with Connelly this week.

12 hours ago, Rohan said:

Should Griffiths be starting up front? Is Forrest is as good as the Celtic fans think? Same with McKenna? Has Steven Fletcher jacked in international fitba?

Exactly. Griffiths isn't in the right mindset or is injured, mckenna is off the boil, fletcher clearly doesn't give a flick feck and its also up for debate if Tierney is committed, some even touted him for captain.

Oh and Forrest is great for celtic but he goes through the motions with scotland, he shouldnt be there 

To stop the rot I want players who compete. McRorie right back. Tierney centre mid with McTominay and McGinn. Armstrong on the right, Christie or Middleton on the left. Griffiths up front or Hornby for physical presence. Centre halves would be whoever can be bothered to turn up. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

Ideally:

Marshall

Tierney McKenna Souttar Robertson

McTominay Jack

Fraser Cairney McGinn

Griffiths

Unfortunately a lot relies on players being fit, I do feel Clarke has been unlucky with injuries in key positions, notably centre halves. Theoretically there's no reason if we get a settled pair (or three) with one (or two) decent defensive midfielder that we can't be solid at the back. We do have the personnel just need them playing together. Upfront is a bigger concern as we just don't have a proven goalscorer. Griffiths would be my first choice but who knows whether he'll ever get back to being the player he was. Fletcher would be second choice but he's said that he's not currently available. Realistically were looking for the midfield to weigh in with the goals but at the minute they're probably preoccupied trying to cover up for our defensive weaknesses, so we're back to where we began, solidity at the back.

Edited by Hertsscot

If everyone is fit and I'm playing 4-2-3-1: Marshall; Tierney, Souttar, McKenna, Robertson; McTominay, Fleck; Fraser, Armstrong, Christie; Griffiths.

If I play 3-5-1-1: Marshall; Souttar, McKenna, Tierney; Fraser, McTominay, Fleck, Armstrong, Robertson; Christie; Griffiths.

So basically the same personnel but different shapes. Ultimately I'm minded to head towards 3/5 at the back just now, to try to stem the tide of goals against us. However the one thing putting me off it is the performance in Israel, which is by far the worst I've ever witnessed as a Scotland fan. Mind you, 4 at the back hasn't been working either!

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Not our best xi but truthfully, we need to start thinking of the future. We are getting pumped with our best team, so in reality it won't make much difference in getting guys like Gilmour, Hickey and Johnston in early, you know before their 25/26th birthday.

Marshall (literally no one else ATM)

Hickey McKenna Porteous Robertson/Tierney

Johnston Mcginn Gilmour Mctominay Fraser

Mcburnie

Sadly McBurnie is the closest thing we have to a decent striker, Burke has woeful decision making and seems better outwide, shankland hopefully gets a decent move and continues his fantastic form at a higher level, Hornby seems roughy around the edges and like it will take quite a few years before he becomes the player we hope, Griff is sadly finished at this level.

Hopefully in midfield Turnbull kicks on when he returns and adds a great goalscoring option to midfield.

Goalkeeping wise Mccrorie has been getting rave reviews in the championship and is seen as the natural successor to Shagger when he retires. Another at Ibrox who is considered one of if, not thee most promising since Gilmour, is 15yr old CB Leon King. Obviously won't be near even the u21s for years but has been playing well above his age groups. He is in the Scotland u17s and has played in the rangers u20s/u17s since 14. Definitely one to keep your eye on.

We really need to take the Wales and n.ireland approach and call up decent youngsters and get them used to the team and formation, some will fail, some will succeed, but where we are right now, we need to take that chance and build for the next euro campaign. Hell even Ireland did it with Connelly this week.

Btw this is probably exactly the team we will have in the very near future. It has a good balance to it as well. Gilmour sitting just behind McGinn and McTominay starting the play. I also think Hornby will be the number 9 before too long. 

17 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Marshall

Tierney McKenna Cooper Robertson

McTominay Mcginn

Forrest Christie fraser

Griffiths

I'm hopeful mckenna and cooper can form a solid partnership during the play offs then at the euro's 🙈

At a time of crisis this team is physically too weak. We need to ditch the two wingers tactic and put in players who will contest the ball, close down space and all the other boring stuff. We need to get in teams faces carve out two or three chances per game and hope we take one. It’s the sad reality for the moment. We need to prioritise what we’re doing when we don’t have the ball.