Stephen O'Donnell - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stephen O'Donnell

Barney Rubble

34 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Palmer shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland team, ever.

He was a disgrace in Kazakhstan (by no means the only one though - Shinnie??).

O'Donnell takes an unfair amount of shit on here, and yet when he is out of the team we are demonstrably worse.

He did play when we lost in Israel, but looking back at it now 2-1 away from home was decent result.

The problem is that O'Donnell, the 2 centre halves and the striker have not been good enough to compete with Russia and Belgium. All 4 in theirs positions have been miles away from what's needed. Where's mulgrew these days? Wasn't he in English league 1 the other season? Says it all. What are we expecting? Same applies to O'Donnell/Palmer. If they are deemed the best in their positions then you have to accept that. It's the stick that Robertson is getting is more the issue here, he's being dragged down because of the 3 inferior players next to him. 

1 hour ago, Alan said:

For me Robertson is the worst performer.  He is not defending, talking the back 4 through the game or leading. 

While I'm not enamoured with him being captain I wouldn't expect him to be talking the rest of the defence through the game. Anyone who's played football knows that's predominantly led from the centre halves. If he was the worst performer I don't know what the fk mulgrew and devlin were.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

O’Donnell isn’t a great player but he’s about the best we’ve got in that position at the moment. I would rather see him play than Palmer who is an utter bomb scare of a full back.

This sums it up.

Palmer isn't even a footballer.

SoD was probably one of the only “success“ stories of the Peru/Mexico tour.... he came in and has done not to bad.

Against the likes of Cyprus or Albania, he can put in a really good shift (just not to the same degree as Robertson down the opposite flank).... it was frustrating to watch v Cyprus Robertson-Fraser linking up fantastically down left wing, and SoD-Forrest struggling to link up down the right (SoD seems to have an annoying habit of playing the easy ball rather than press... ie Forrest screaming for the pass, only for SoD to make the sideways pass back to the keeper or Mulgrew, and kill any momentum).

Problem is put him against a good standard opponent and he looks exposed.

solid enough squad player, but not someone you can say would hold down the shirt long term (once we get Patterson back, or anything comes of the Fredericks or Kane stories he will struggle to get his place back in the team... and it’s no secret that Clarke is on the hunt for a RB).

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

SoD was probably one of the only “success“ stories of the Peru/Mexico tour.... he came in and has done not to bad.

Against the likes of Cyprus or Albania, he can put in a really good shift (just not to the same degree as Robertson down the opposite flank).... it was frustrating to watch v Cyprus Robertson-Fraser linking up fantastically down left wing, and SoD-Forrest struggling to link up down the right (SoD seems to have an annoying habit of playing the easy ball rather than press... ie Forrest screaming for the pass, only for SoD to make the sideways pass back to the keeper or Mulgrew, and kill any momentum).

Problem is put him against a good standard opponent and he looks exposed.

solid enough squad player, but not someone you can say would hold down the shirt long term (once we get Patterson back, or anything comes of the Fredericks or Kane stories he will struggle to get his place back in the team... and it’s no secret that Clarke is on the hunt for a RB).

That's probably the most reasoned and rational assessment of SOD I've ever seen on here, so thanks for articulating your thoughts Wanderer.

SOD is an order of magnitude better than Liam Palmer though.

That's reality.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

That's probably the most reasoned and rational assessment of SOD I've ever seen on here, so thanks for articulating your thoughts Wanderer.

SOD is an order of magnitude better than Liam Palmer though.

That's reality.

Are you off your rocker?

in my near 30 years watching Scotland he’s definitely the worst player who’s ever played more than one game.