What Players Would You Drop Come The Next Set Of Games? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What Players Would You Drop Come The Next Set Of Games?

Guest ElChris04

What players would you drop from the squad for november?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple Choices are allowed :

• GK: David Marshall
    • DEF: Andy Robertson
    • DEF: Liam Palmer
    • DEF: Charlie Mulgrew
    • DEF: Mikey Devlin
    • DEF: Stephen O’Donnell
    • MID: Ryan Fraser
    • MID: James Forrest
    • MID: Robert Snodgrass
    • MID: John McGinn
    • MID: John Fleck
    • MID: Callum McGregor
    • MID: Ryan Christie
    • MID: Stuart Armstrong
    • MID: Scott McTominay
    • MID: Ryan Jack
    • MID: Kenny McLean
    • FWD: Johnny Russell
    • FWD: Oliver McBurnie

Guest ElChris04

May seem quite pointless, but had a good Discussion with a some of my mates today on who we feel’s time is up in a Scotland Jersey along with players who are needing dropped. Of course not all the fault can be at the players door. But this thread is purely out of interest on what players you would like to see dropped come the next set of games as the discussion is quite heavy on social media with fans calling for the heads of certain players. So who would you drop? Multiple choice thread, I’ve left out less significant players like back up keepers and uncapped defenders like Findlay and Gallagher, but again it can be as little or as many as you feel are needing dropped from the team come november. If I missed anyone feel free to mention, as I did add Oliver Burke but poll questions are capped at 19. 

Edited by ElChris04

I'd move out some players long term and I'd move aside players short term because they are apparently and according to Clarke have a fragile mindset. Robertson ,I'm taking the arm band from you.  McTominay is a leader on the park but not ready. McGregor,Fraser and Forrest are benched short term. I'm blooding a new keeper. Anyone who has been most of the last four games and lost, I'm questioning in they are toxic, their confidence is shot.

Maybe even Robertson , Tierney comes in. You have to be careful either to have, you wont always get a call up and not have a hussy fit, or who responds to not getting a call up and decides ok I need to get my act together.

Winning breeds confidence

2 minutes ago, WCTA said:

I honestly think we need to try something different with Robertson. Whether it’s removing the Captaincy from him or what, I’m not sure. Maybe give Tierney a chance there.

Robertson won't replicate his Liverpool form for Scotland. With them he plays for a high quality team who dominate games and who attack a lot. He has the freedom to get forward as often as he can. A lot of their game is based on getting their full backs forward. He also has VVD inside him to cover when he goes forward. Scotland is almost the opposite to Liverpool, we don't dominate, we don't attack a lot, we don't have the cover for him and he has to defend a lot more himself, something which isn't the best part of his game.

The captaincy is a different issue. He probably got it like Fletcher did, due to no other obvious candidates and playing for the highest profile club.

Given how hard a time we are having, and despite what I say above, its still a very hard ask to drop him from the starting line up.

Do we think he could play as a holding midfield player??

Just now, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Robertson won't replicate his Liverpool form for Scotland. With them he plays for a high quality team who dominate games and who attack a lot. He has the freedom to get forward as often as he can. A lot of their game is based on getting their full backs forward. He also has VVD inside him to cover when he goes forward. Scotland is almost the opposite to Liverpool, we don't dominate, we don't attack a lot, we don't have the cover for him and he has to defend a lot more himself, something which isn't the best part of his game.

The captaincy is a different issue. He probably got it like Fletcher did, due to no other obvious candidates and playing for the highest profile club.

Given how hard a time we are having, and despite what I say above, its still a very hard ask to drop him from the starting line up.

Do we think he could play as a holding midfield player??

I fully agree with the highlighted part. I’m not expecting Roy Of The Rovers stuff from him due to the above point. I do expect someone to stay focused and grab the game by the scruff of the neck though.

5 minutes ago, WCTA said:

I fully agree with the highlighted part. I’m not expecting Roy Of The Rovers stuff from him due to the above point. I do expect someone to stay focused and grab the game by the scruff of the neck though.

Neither am I. I maybe expect a bit more in terms of his actual performance but LB is probably not the easiest position to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Just now, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Neither am I. I maybe expect a bit more in terms of his actual performance but LB is probably not the easiest position to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Exactly why the armband should be handed elsewhere. Your captain is the man who should be getting a grip of the game regardless of where he plays.

12 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Maybe its due to the general malaise around the team but I can't think of one genuine inspirational leader in our squad.

Liam Cooper, but there are a lot of experts on here that think he can't even play football.

Next best option is to groom McTominay or even Gilmour for it although the latter would be extremely risky

He's never going to drop him , but Robertson has been hopeless in these past few games. He seems a very good, steady, solid pro ; but as someone on here said in another thread he's somewhat of a dog's body in that Liverpool side. He works his arse off, but in a team that has outstanding players playing beside him.

It would be incredibly harsh leaving the likes of Devlin out to dry, but that really is a bizarre squad inclusion considering his form at club level too.

From the wee bits of Shankland last night, he didn't have much of the ball, but he didn't too anything 'wrong' so I do hope he starts him against San Marino.

Mulgrew - another warrior who does give his 100%, always turns up and I ken you shouldn't cap players for turning up ; but him a bit like Stephen O'Donnell - another one who seems absolutely thrilled, committed and proud to play for his country are probably not good enough, although you'd love it to work out for him.

Guest ElChris04
54 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

He's never going to drop him , but Robertson has been hopeless in these past few games. He seems a very good, steady, solid pro ; but as someone on here said in another thread he's somewhat of a dog's body in that Liverpool side. He works his arse off, but in a team that has outstanding players playing beside him.

It would be incredibly harsh leaving the likes of Devlin out to dry, but that really is a bizarre squad inclusion considering his form at club level too.

From the wee bits of Shankland last night, he didn't have much of the ball, but he didn't too anything 'wrong' so I do hope he starts him against San Marino.

Mulgrew - another warrior who does give his 100%, always turns up and I ken you shouldn't cap players for turning up ; but him a bit like Stephen O'Donnell - another one who seems absolutely thrilled, committed and proud to play for his country are probably not good enough, although you'd love it to work out for him.

Sad reality for us really, the ones who actually care just aren’t good enough and the ones who are good enough and have ability just don’t use it.

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I'd move out some players long term and I'd move aside players short term because they are apparently and according to Clarke have a fragile mindset. Robertson ,I'm taking the arm band from you.  McTominay is a leader on the park but not ready. McGregor,Fraser and Forrest are benched short term. I'm blooding a new keeper. Anyone who has been most of the last four games and lost, I'm questioning in they are toxic, their confidence is shot.

Maybe even Robertson , Tierney comes in. You have to be careful either to have, you wont always get a call up and not have a hussy fit, or who responds to not getting a call up and decides ok I need to get my act together.

Winning breeds confidence

A very well said post there mate. I’d maybe disagree with Forrest as I fully believe he is a game changer when he isn’t burned out, but aye a very well spoken post. 👏🏻

Edited by ElChris04

2 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Mulgrew is certainly not warrrior. The head band,  the man bun,  being rag-dolled by anyone over 10 stone. His attributes are more personal shopper than warrior

☹️

6 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Mulgrew is certainly not warrrior. The head band,  the man bun,  being rag-dolled by anyone over 10 stone. His attributes are more personal shopper than warrior

☹️

Mind the promotional pics for the first free t-shirt we got(navy one) for signing up to the SSC? It was Mulgrew in the shot. Doing some cool pose he had the sleeve rolled up to show the wee tartan bit and all I could see was his fairy Rose tattoo slapped on his arm. 😂

Edited by WCTA

20 minutes ago, Farcity said:

I really can't wait to see this Gilmour. He is being lauded around here like the second coming of Jesus Christ. 

To be fair to Christ, he came back from a pretty bad injury but was never the same after his recovery. Hung up his boots shortly afterwards too. Hopefully Gilmour is better than that second coming.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

6 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

To be fair to Christ, he came back from a pretty bad injury but was never the same after his recovery. Hung up his boots shortly afterwards too. Hopefully Gilmour is better than that second coming.

0980D34B-6C19-46B9-AC27-FAE947CB84E0.jpeg

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

As long as we don't play him in goals. 

6 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Maybe its due to the general malaise around the team but I can't think of one genuine inspirational leader in our squad.

Absolutely agree. There's nobody at all and I think it makes a massive difference. Whether it's a strong personality or somebody who is vocal there's just nobody. 

We also miss not having a few units/bullies in our team. Every other team I see has a few but we don't really have anyone, maybe a few with potential. Again, i think it makes a difference, not only to the actual performance of the team but also mentally. 

Mulgrew has been our worst centre back for the past 4 or 5 games he is anything but inspirational and certainly not leading by example. He needs dropped instantly, clearly loves playing for his country but making far too many mistakes and you can see him visibly crumbling under the pressure of being the experienced centre half in there he isn't holding things together at all. It is very unfortunate Cooper is injured I'd like to give him the same run in the side Mulgrew has had see how things go as he is the captain of Leeds. Interested by some Aberdeen fans comments on McKenna, how has he been playing before his injury, is he capable of stepping up the levels? 

On 10/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, bigfingers said:

Make Tierney captain! Get McKenna back into centre of defence with Cooper, Mctominay back in midfield with Mcginn, Play Christie as number 10 and play one of Griffiths/Naismith/fletcher up top and we may get through the play offs. 

Make a guy that hardly plays for us captain? McKenna has been out injured recently and Cooper pulled out of the latest squad.

Griffiths is unlikely to be back in a Scotland jersey any time soon, Naismith is injured more often than not these days and Fletcher doesn’t want to play for us. Not regularly anyway.