Foreign Stars - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Foreign Stars

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Most of the world cup finals in my lifetime haven't been spectacular. 90 was my first memory, I watch 86 but I was only 4

I always had you down as older than me too. I was 6 when that Mexico one was on.

Edited by WCTA

On 10/12/2019 at 3:55 PM, Huddersfield said:

By coincidence, I was also 6 during the Mexico World Cup. Sadly, I’m talking 1970 ☹️

Still younger than me.  :(

Pele was everybody's favourite am my primary school. Hagi is my all-time fave foreign player though, an absolute magician. I remember him beating some Arsenal player all ends up in some European final. Even in slow motion it was hard to see just what he'd actually done.  Mesmerising.

18 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Still younger than me.  :(

Pele was everybody's favourite am my primary school. Hagi is my all-time fave foreign player though, an absolute magician. I remember him beating some Arsenal player all ends up in some European final. Even in slow motion it was hard to see just what he'd actually done.  Mesmerising.

I think the lack of football on TV in those days made a lot of those players feel a bit remote...I kind of remember teams rather than individuals apart from the odd one or two.

For reasons that I suspect many on here will appreciate, one of the early characters that sticks in my mind was Jan Tomaszewski :(. In one of many acts of cruelty inflicted on me as a child, my dad let me stay up to watch that one.

1 minute ago, Huddersfield said:

I think the lack of football on TV in those days made a lot of those players feel a bit remote...I kind of remember teams rather than individuals apart from the odd one or two.

For reasons that I suspect many on here will appreciate, one of the early characters that sticks in my mind was Jan Tomaszewski :(. In one of many acts of cruelty inflicted on me as a child, my dad let me stay up to watch that one.

Aye, "the Clown!"  I remember him with great affection.  :lol:  Some performance.

To me it was more exciting watching fitba on the telly back then.  Highlights programmes were always a big thing.  Even European games you could only get on the highlights.  Some bstrd always told you the score though!  :lol:

I even remember having to look at the paper in the morning to see if Celtic had gone through in the European Cup the night before.  Benfica they were playing - went to the toss of a coin I think.  Changed days!

10 hours ago, daviebee said:

Aye, "the Clown!"  I remember him with great affection.  :lol:  Some performance.

To me it was more exciting watching fitba on the telly back then.  Highlights programmes were always a big thing.  Even European games you could only get on the highlights.  Some bstrd always told you the score though!  :lol:

I even remember having to look at the paper in the morning to see if Celtic had gone through in the European Cup the night before.  Benfica they were playing - went to the toss of a coin I think.  Changed days!

Without Googling, was he the Polish keeper at Wembley who kept England at bay? It finished 0-0 or 1-1 and that result put England out?

On 10/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, Och Aye said:

Argentina 1978

Sepp Maier (first guy I remember wearing proper goalie gloves, made his hands look huge)

Arie Haan (could strike a ball)

Mario Kempes (star of that World Cup)

Shit I'm getting old.

Leopldo Luque always sticks in my mind from the 78 world cup, mainly because between him a Martin Buchan they were the only 2 stickers I never got to complete my panini album 😢

Edited by bonzo

Another vote from me for Schillachi and Roger Milla from Italia '90.

I remember Hagi's wonderful goal at USA '94 and the excitement of Romario and Bebeto but I don't think any of those really captured my imagination. 

The one that I really remember being blown away by was George Weah with the AC Milan team of the mid-90's on C4 on a Sunday afternoon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the admiration for Negrete’s goal in 86, I remember Soviet Union scoring a number ridiculously good goals in that World Cup, including a 6-0 routing of Hungary. Igor belanov and vasily rats (great name) amongst the scorers.

Can anyone remember an international team having anything on the front of their shirts before the soviets’ “CCCP”? I think wee numbers on the front came in for Euro 92 or WC94

8 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Following on from the admiration for Negrete’s goal in 86, I remember Soviet Union scoring a number ridiculously good goals in that World Cup, including a 6-0 routing of Hungary. Igor belanov and vasily rats (great name) amongst the scorers.

Can anyone remember an international team having anything on the front of their shirts before the soviets’ “CCCP”? I think wee numbers on the front came in for Euro 92 or WC94

1974. Zaire had a big fuck off leopard across the front 😂😂

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, Barney Rubble said:

Paolo Rossi

Paolo Maldini (absolutely the ugliest cunt I always wanted to look like).

Rui Costa (the player that rode England rotten in EURO 2000)

Our school had a state of the art AstroTurf pitch off of the lottery in 95 so Italy chose to train on it a couple of times in the run up to Euro 96.  I actually made eye contact with Maldini on his way down to the pitches and it made my knob quiver which confused me for a good few years afterward.  I made peace with it though and when I fill in surveys etc that include questions on sexual orientation I always caveat my ‘heterosexual’ response with ‘*unless Maldini’s asking’. 

Some right good looking bastards in that squad overall – Del Piero, Nesta, Di Matteo, and as a spotty bucktoothed awkward 16 year old whose favourite hobby was wanking into a sock I didn’t feel inadequate in any way!!  The main memory I have is not of the team though but of the female teachers who collectively had a face like when Kiara was looking dirty as f**k at Simba just before Disney cut to a waterfall.  It was weird seeing some teachers who we’d asexualised through our education because they were over 40 almost grinding on the fencing around the pitch – I remember hearing one of the geography teachers, who was commonly accepted to have cobwebs in her fanny, saying she ‘would defo shag that one!’.  There’ll have been husbands who got the absolute sh!t rode out of them that night and erroneously believing their sexual prowess was the cause of their partners climaxing like Tardelli celebrating in 82.   

In 1990 I was always Valderama or the mad bastard keeper –  Think it was just his mental hair really that I liked at the time though although Valderama was decent in a couple of the games.  Recently I saw a Youtube video of Columbia batter Argentina 5-0 and Valderama was unplayable.

In 1994 I was randomly Etcheverry from Bolivia.  I’d read about him in the build-up and told everyone at school he would have a big tournament.  Apart from an epic mullet he was pretty sh!t but I always bought him on Champo like him scoring 60 goals in a season with St Johnstone provided my point.   

In 1996 I remember trying to score the goal where Davor Suker dragged his foot over it v Denmark but the main difference was the keeper in our fives was left standing looking a bit confused as it was me who ended up falling on my arse after twisting my ankle.     

3 hours ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Was that when they ran out and booted the ball away as Brazil were preparing to take a free kick? I gather the Brazilians then fell about laughing at the stupidity of their leopard bearing opponents

We all laughed at the time, mainly cos we didn't know that both the players and their families had been threatened by the authorities with "repercussions" were they to lose heavily again. These guys were shitting themselves.

4 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Our school had a state of the art AstroTurf pitch off of the lottery in 95 so Italy chose to train on it a couple of times in the run up to Euro 96.  I actually made eye contact with Maldini on his way down to the pitches and it made my knob quiver which confused me for a good few years afterward.  I made peace with it though and when I fill in surveys etc that include questions on sexual orientation I always caveat my ‘heterosexual’ response with ‘*unless Maldini’s asking’. 

Some right good looking bastards in that squad overall – Del Piero, Nesta, Di Matteo, and as a spotty bucktoothed awkward 16 year old whose favourite hobby was wanking into a sock I didn’t feel inadequate in any way!!  The main memory I have is not of the team though but of the female teachers who collectively had a face like when Kiara was looking dirty as f**k at Simba just before Disney cut to a waterfall.  It was weird seeing some teachers who we’d asexualised through our education because they were over 40 almost grinding on the fencing around the pitch – I remember hearing one of the geography teachers, who was commonly accepted to have cobwebs in her fanny, saying she ‘would defo shag that one!’.  There’ll have been husbands who got the absolute sh!t rode out of them that night and erroneously believing their sexual prowess was the cause of their partners climaxing like Tardelli celebrating in 82.   

In 1990 I was always Valderama or the mad bastard keeper –  Think it was just his mental hair really that I liked at the time though although Valderama was decent in a couple of the games.  Recently I saw a Youtube video of Columbia batter Argentina 5-0 and Valderama was unplayable.

In 1994 I was randomly Etcheverry from Bolivia.  I’d read about him in the build-up and told everyone at school he would have a big tournament.  Apart from an epic mullet he was pretty sh!t but I always bought him on Champo like him scoring 60 goals in a season with St Johnstone provided my point.   

In 1996 I remember trying to score the goal where Davor Suker dragged his foot over it v Denmark but the main difference was the keeper in our fives was left standing looking a bit confused as it was me who ended up falling on my arse after twisting my ankle.     

This is how you execute a long post on the TAMB Dark Knight. 😂👍

On 10/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, Willie Miller's tache said:

The game v Belgium sticks in my memory. Ended up something like 4-3 and every goal was a 25 yard screamer, or that is how I remember it!