Foreign Stars - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Foreign Stars

Guys you remember for a reason. Those who will forever stick in your head. The players who you would argue with your pals about when you wanted to be “him” when you were playing crossy shoot. I’ll start....

Jean Pierre Papin.

Marco Van Basten (Teeko will be along wae that pic shortly😄).

Franco Baresi.

Rudi Voller.

Toto Schillaci - Italia 90, seemed to come out of nowhere

Jorge Burruchaga - Mexico 86, Maradona took all the plaudits but I just seem to remember his naming sounding dead exotic!

Jorge Negrete - Mexico 86, I reckong I spent 80% of my life between the ages of 9-11 trying to recreate his goal against Bulgaria.  Never did.

41 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Paolo Rossi

Paolo Maldini (absolutely the ugliest cunt I always wanted to look like).

Rui Costa (the player that rode England rotten in EURO 2000)

I’ve met you before. I ken you wurnae running aboot at crossy shoot thinking you were Paolo Maldini ya auld shite. 😄

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Toto Schillaci - Italia 90, seemed to come out of nowhere

Apparently it was a rubbish World Cup, but the sound of Nesun Dorma instantly conjures images of schillaci celebrating, Gazza crying and makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

I’d add Rodger Millar to that too even if it was more for his celebrations than his goals.

Interesting aside (I thought anyway) Gary lineker had said in his podcast he came back from Italia ‘90 and hadn’t heard Nesun Dorma and doesn’t really associate it with the World Cup, as they never saw the BBC (?) coverage and didn’t really have much contact with home.

4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

El Buitre - Emilio Butragueno. Fantastic striker. Only got to see in glimpses back in those days but I'd have liked to be him. I played right wing but got further and further back and was a full back by the time I played for the Uni 😂

Jings, that’s a blast fae the past. I mind going to the swimmies when I was wee wae my pal’s Maw and Dad. My mate and I were away up and doon the flumes pissing around wae these Spanish exchange students. My pal kept on about Butragueno tae them as not one of us could communicate any other way. 😂

Did anybody else ever dae that as a bairn? When you came into contact with a foreigner you would just blurt out a fitba’ player you knew about from their country. 😄🙈

7 hours ago, WCTA said:

Guys you remember for a reason. Those who will forever stick in your head. The players who you would argue with your pals about when you wanted to be “him” when you were playing crossy shoot. I’ll start....

Jean Pierre Papin.

Marco Van Basten (Teeko will be along wae that pic shortly😄).

Franco Baresi.

Rudi Voller.

I dunno how to post pics 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ll send it to you and you can post it for me 👍🏼

As a kid I suppose the big international names were Pele, Cruyff, etc. But I was far too busy pretending I was Alan Gowling to take too much notice of them. 

The first overseas player I ever remember watching & thinking he was something really special was Dean Gorre. We signed him from Ajax in 1999 (a turn up in itself as we normally set our sights at Grimsby Reserves level). To this day he was one of the most talented players I ever saw pull on a Town shirt. I was at West Brom away in 2000 when he suffered an injury that I don’t think he ever really recovered from (as a player). He went on to suffer the utter tragedy of having to play for Barnsley, which of course makes Amsterdam look like Xanadu. 

16 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Apparently it was a rubbish World Cup, but the sound of Nesun Dorma instantly conjures images of schillaci celebrating, Gazza crying and makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

I’d add Rodger Millar to that too even if it was more for his celebrations than his goals.

Interesting aside (I thought anyway) Gary lineker had said in his podcast he came back from Italia ‘90 and hadn’t heard Nesun Dorma and doesn’t really associate it with the World Cup, as they never saw the BBC (?) coverage and didn’t really have much contact with home.

My favourite memory of Italia 90 is a betting one.

Owner of my local Chinese restaurant gave his new KP who’s just arrived from China £7000 to put on Argentina to win the opening game against Cameroon at odds of 1/7 thinking it was the easiest £1k he’d ever make.

The slightly confused employee put it all in Cameroon at 8/1, owner went racing back to bookies to cancel the bet but the cunt bookie refused.

Well we know how that turned out, I only wish I’d been in the bookies to see him collect his £63k, it was a local bookie not a chain and he was a total wanker of a bloke.

19 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Blasphemy to call Italian 90 a poor world cup.