‘Missing’ Players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

‘Missing’ Players

Manno

Probably been done to death but thought I’d compile a list of available players that weren’t called up or pulled out of the squad for whatever reason, plus guys that have been capped in the last few years. It’s as grim as you would expect. I’ve included players that are eligible to be selected but that doesn’t mean I want or expect them to be called up. Feel free to add anyone I’ve missed out. 

GK

Craig Gordon - Celtic

Scott Bain - Celtic

Liam Kelly - QPR

Zander Clark - St Johnstone

Full Back/Wing Back

Kieran Tierney - Arsenal

Chris Cadden - Oxford United

Jason Naismith - Hibs

Aaron Hickey - Hearts

Barry Douglas - Leeds United 

Murray Wallace - Millwall

Nicky Devlin - Livingston 

Jack Grimmer - Wycombe Wanderers

Centre Back

Christophe Berra - Hearts

John Souttar - Hearts

Scott McKenna - Aberdeen

Liam Cooper - Leeds United 

David Bates - Sheffield Wednesday 

Craig Halkett - Hearts

Liam Lindsay - Stoke City

Ross McCrorie - Portsmouth

Ryan Porteous - Hibs

Paul Hanlon - Hibs

Liam Gordon - St Johnstone

Jason Kerr - St Johnstone

Tom McIntyre - Reading

Jack Hendry - Celtic

Centre Midfield

Kenny McLean - Norwich City

Ryan Jack - Rangers 

Tom Cairney - Fulham

Kevin McDonald - Fulham

Barry Bannan - Sheffield Wednesday 

Graeme Shinnie - Derby County

Dylan McGeouch - Sunderland

Lewis Ferguson - Aberdeen

David Turnbull - Motherwell 

Scott Allan - Hibs

Stevie Mallan - Hibs

Liam Henderson - Verona

Billy Gilmour - Chelsea

Allan Campbell - Motherwell 

Jay Fulton - Swansea City

Lewis Macleod - Wigan

Wide Midfield

Matt Phillips - West Bromwich Albion

Callum Paterson - Cardiff City

Mikey Johnston - Celtic

Lewis Morgan - Celtic

Barrie McKay - Swansea City

Jake Hastie - Rotherham 

Jamie Murphy - Rangers

Greg Stewart - Rangers

Centre Forward

Leigh Griffiths - Celtic

Steven Naismith - Hearts 

Steven Fletcher - Sheffield Wednesday 

Oli McBurnie - Sheffield United

Jordan Rhodes - Sheffield Wednesday 

Marc McNulty - Sunderland

Eamonn Brophy - Kilmarnock 

Fraser Hornby - Kortrijk

Stevie May - St Johnstone

Jason Cummings - Shrewsbury

Edited by Manno

I like big Ross McCrorie but he's never a centre half in a million years.  His best position is in front of the back 4 and we've already got several better players in that position (including Ryan Jack which is the reason he's been shipped out of Ibrox).

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

I like big Ross McCrorie but he's never a centre half in a million years.  His best position is in front of the back 4 and we've already got several better players in that position (including Ryan Jack which is the reason he's been shipped out of Ibrox).

Can McCrorie play right back ?

30 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I like big Ross McCrorie but he's never a centre half in a million years. 

I think that was true a year ago but he’s filled out massively since then and is now 6’3”. I don’t see why he can’t play here. He’s also very quick so perhaps we wouldn’t spend 90 minutes camped in our six yard box. 

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Just looking at that list of centre backs: any coach should be able to select 2 who can be first choice even if they are all much of a muchness. FWIW I would go Souttar and McKenna to give balance. But Clarke doesn't seem to know his first pairing.

A little harsh on Clarke, as he's never had all of our eligible CBs available at the one time. But, I agree, McKenna and Souttar will likely be our long term pairing, unless some prodigy appears out of the ether (fingers crossed - Liam Morrison)

Looking at the list of missing players, yes, most wouldn't add much. But I do think if we had Tierney RB, McKenna CB and Griffiths ST then we'd be significantly stronger. Add in Brown and McGregor if they weren't retired and we'd look a good team, on paper. It's our confidence that is absolutely shot. We need some wins to get that belief back and get people desperate to play again.

I'm not defending last night, but losing to Russia and Belgium was not unexpected, especially with our confidence in the toilet. Clarke needs time, and wins.

Edited by Tartan blood

3 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

That's a long list but there isn't one player on it who you would look at and think "They would make a massive difference to our fortunes or would have changed the outcome of x game".

Is there a player in World football that would do that?  

A lot of names, but not a lot of quality.

Tierney - Not going to start at LB, but could strengthen CB/RB as needed.
Souttar - Looked promising but been unlucky with injuries.
McKenna - Unlucky to be missing with injuries.
Johnston - Snoddy showed we need ability on the ball and a bit of pace last night. Worth a call.
Hastie - As Johnston. In League One atm, but 3 goals in 6 there.
Griff - Not sure he'd have made much difference the way we played. But, set pieces maybe.
Fletch - Miss his holdup play.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Just looking at that list of centre backs: any coach should be able to select 2 who can be first choice even if they are all much of a muchness. FWIW I would go Souttar and McKenna to give balance. But Clarke doesn't seem to know his first pairing.

How can he get a permanent pairing when there's been so much injuries to our centre backs. It's hardly Clarke's fault.

While that is a big list, truth is, a lot of them are simply not in contention for one reason or another.

GK, unless Gordon or Bain can dislodge Fraser, he is not going to call up two keepers who are not playing (frustrating that McGregor quit at the wrong time for us!).

At the back, I agree that this is a pretty large list, but from that list you are only talking Tierney, Bates, Cooper, Douglas, Mckenna, Hanley, Souttar and Patterson (granted not much of a defender these days, but still a option).... I would be inclined to try get the Bates-McKenna partnership back together, as that did show some promise under Eck, only for Mulgrew to be shoehorned back in once fit, but swaying more to a Souttar-McKenna partnership, as Bates seems to be in limbo just now.

Up front, problem is not the strikers, its just the fact the midfield set nothing up for them, and as Phillips showed v Belgium and Burke last night, they end up having to back track so much to set something up that we end up playing a 4-6-0 formation..... Shankland came on and looked lively, but this was during a very brief period where we were actually able to press Russia, then as soon as normal service resumed, he was left chasing shadows all night.

Seems to be as soon as the first goal goes in, the whole defence seem to down their heads, and feels like everyone in the team know a 2nd and ultimately a 3rd goal is on the way.

Edited by wanderer

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Is there a player in World football that would do that?  

I would say Messi and Ronaldo obviously. I am sure Wales are a far different side when Bale is in it. Robbie Keane was a huge influence and threat for ROI, the amount of games he popped up in with a vital goal. Zlatan with Sweden was also very important for them. I am sure there are plenty more.

Ignoring the under 21's..........

Tierney, Mckenna, and Paterson were all playing first team football the week before and should have been in the squad and haven't been reported injured since.

The Tierney case has been well publicised .

McKenna played the week before and wasn't called up when a central defender was needed.

That's two squads Paterson has missed out on. Clarke is either clueless or Paterson has decided not to play. He hasn't been a 100% fit but has played in the run up to both of the last sets of internationals

We have to assume the players who dropped out through injury are injured

29 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ignoring the under 21's..........

Tierney, Mckenna, and Paterson were all playing first team football the week before and should have been in the squad and haven't been reported injured since.

The Tierney case has been well publicised .

McKenna played the week before and wasn't called up when a central defender was needed.

That's two squads Paterson has missed out on. Clarke is either clueless or Paterson has decided not to play. He hasn't been a 100% fit but has played in the run up to both of the last sets of internationals

We have to assume the players who dropped out through injury are injured

I don't think Paterson is considered a full back anymore. As for Tierney I can understand agreeing to Arsenal's request. He is a very talented player and I was rather he was fully fit and playing for Scotland rather than playing, aggravating an injury and being out for even longer, we need to think long term.