Experimenting - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Experimenting

ICT fan Shaun

I really hope that Steve Clarke has a change of heart regarding not experimenting in the next double header because young guys such as David Turnbull, Lewis Ferguson, Mikey Johnston, Billy Gilmour, Declan Gallagher, Fraser Hornby and Glenn Mid deserve a chance to prove that they are better than pish like Charlie Mulgrew, Liam Palmer, Oliver McBurnie and anyone else who is not international class. 

I also hope that SFA members are looking into whether Jed Steer, Todd Kane or Karlan Grant are committed to representing us. 

45 minutes ago, ICT fan Shaun said:

I really hope that Steve Clarke has a change of heart regarding not experimenting in the next double header because young guys such as David Turnbull, Lewis Ferguson, Mikey Johnston, Billy Gilmour, Declan Gallagher, Fraser Hornby and Glenn Mid deserve a chance to prove that they are better than pish like Charlie Mulgrew, Liam Palmer, Oliver McBurnie and anyone else who is not international class. 

I also hope that SFA members are looking into whether Jed Steer, Todd Kane or Karlan Grant are committed to representing us. 

McBurnie is probably the nearest thing we have to an international class striker even though he might be miles away from that. 

As for the three you mention I,m not sure if you are being serious.

Hopefully Hornby, Middleton, Hickey et al will make rapid progress to fill some of the gaps.

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

For November (4-2-3-1)

Marshall, Tierney, McKenna, Porteous, Robertson, McTominay, Jack, Christie, McGinn, Johnstone, Griffiths.

Bring Gilmour and Hornby off the bench.

Sub Johnston for Fraser and you have a deal.

Problem with experimenting is, if the manager is also facing threats to be out if he doesn't win the next 3 matches. Experimenting has to mean being allowed to risk failing to win, especially when playing teams above us in the league (!).

I'd be tempted to experiment, build round the younger generation. Rather than watch fading EPL/championship players labour to subdue teams, who are the players on the up, who could be the core of the future? Three hard fought games when a youthful side could punch above its weight, could be as likely to get 6-9 points as a makeshift journeyman team put together in a climate of fear and apathy. 

50 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fraser’s been anonymous. A man down stuff from him of late. He does nothing defensively and doesn’t put the opposing full back under pressure when they’re in possession. Needs a rocket or dropped.

Weve been 11 men down mate, every single player in that team needs a rocket up there arse. 

1 hour ago, exile said:

Problem with experimenting is, if the manager is also facing threats to be out if he doesn't win the next 3 matches. Experimenting has to mean being allowed to risk failing to win, especially when playing teams above us in the league (!).

Aye, cause the boys who are there just now are doing a smashing job

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fraser’s been anonymous. A man down stuff from him of late. He does nothing defensively and doesn’t put the opposing full back under pressure when they’re in possession. Needs a rocket or dropped.

He's set up 3 of our 5 goals in this campaign, and also created more goalscoring chances than anyone in one of the world's best leagues last season. I'd give him more of a chance. 

I wouldn't be against it given Shankland showed way more ability than a player two clubs have paid £12m for. However, at the same time I can see Clarke's logic. either way we're not qualifying, simple as that. Play-offs in 5 months and what's going to change in that time? 

On a side note, Oli Burke really needs to learn how to get his head up and play a simple pass. It was actually a joke the amount of times he let us down in a good position last night. 

53 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

He's set up 3 of our 5 goals in this campaign, and also created more goalscoring chances than anyone in one of the world's best leagues last season. I'd give him more of a chance. 

I know he’s a good player, but when he’s off it he’s a mile off it and a liability. I just wonder if he’s a delicate soul. 

10 hours ago, ICT fan Shaun said:

Declan Gallagher will be 29 by time the play offs come round, he's not exactly one for the future!

39 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I know he’s a good player, but when he’s off it he’s a mile off it and a liability. I just wonder if he’s a delicate soul. 

I totally get what you're saying, but recently when Scotland actually win he's at the heart of it, and when we don't win he's absent, but so are the other 10 lads on the pitch. Not sure what Mikey Johnston can do to rectify that in his stead?

I'm all for giving some young, hungry lads a chance, but I don't think it should e at  the expense of one the handful of genuine quality players we have.

12 hours ago, ICT fan Shaun said:

Hardly matters since the group is bawbagged 

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Tierney isn't a right back

It's debatable whether Palmer or O'Donnell are either. He might not be a right back, but he is a full back, and a very good one too who shouldn't be missing out because of what foot he kicks with.

7 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

It's debatable whether Palmer or O'Donnell are either. He might not be a right back, but he is a full back, and a very good one too who shouldn't be missing out because of what foot he kicks with.

Bigot. 😜

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

Permission to counter that with he might not be a central defender but he is a defender and Paterson might not be a right back but he is a right sided player.

Funny how we only play well when Paterson plays right back but next to no one has noticed.

8 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Aye, cause the boys who are there just now are doing a smashing job

Eh? I'm not saying the solution is to keep the guys there just now. The problem is people complaining if they don't get 3 wins.

"I'd be tempted to experiment"

We won't get 3 wins . 2 at the most . I don't think Kazakhstan is a given . If we experiment in 3 so called easy games and do well then people will want these players in the team for the play offs . The trouble is as soon as they come up against teams half decent they 'll  struggle 

4 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

We won't get 3 wins . 2 at the most . I don't think Kazakhstan is a given . If we experiment in 3 so called easy games and do well then people will want these players in the team for the play offs . The trouble is as soon as they come up against teams half decent they 'll  struggle 

I don't see it as either-or. You could experiment in these 3 games, and see if the youngsters can prove a point, then blend them in with the more experienced players for the play-offs.  The youngsters may have more appetite for having a go at the likes of Cyprus and Kazakhstan than those who have been around the block a bit but who, if having to sit out, would be hungry enough for the play-off opponents.