Scotland U21 v Lithuania U21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland U21 v Lithuania U21

The_Dark_Knight

The National team facebook and youtube channels will be showing it live as well. 

Annoyed it is in Tynecastle, had it been at st mirren again like the last one i'd be able to take it in before hitting the pub for the Russia game. 

Hopefully the pub will stream it off youtube 

Be interesting to see if Gilmour does play, after they won in Croatia without him even on the bench. 

You'd feel a bit hard done by to get dropped after winning away in Zagreb, but he's such a talent. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, he withdrew after the first game.  

He did get a right few kicks in that san marino game to be fair. They subbed a guy on seemingly just to boot him. In an Under 21 game.

He was still in the stand at the croatia game, sat beside Malky Mackay (poor Billy) so I wondered if he'd just been rested rather than injured, given the tendency to send players to their clubs in those cases. 

Lithuania - and all the Baltic nations really - have been horrific in qualifying of late. Estonia and Latvia especially seem to have dropped from a decent 4th seed to almost minnows.

Then again maybe Lithuania have a lot of talent coming through, and no doubt some Lithuanian fans might be looking at Scotland and thinking their national team are terrible, so I'd imagine the U21s will be too.

Well done the BBC though, the U19s were on yesterday. It's start, but about time we got to watch our national team, or what is our 'state' broadcaster ;but what's stopping them putting this on BBC Scotland or Alba.

We've started this group superbly, and this is a great chance to keep the 100% record and really push on! Looking forward to seeing quite a few names. 

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Be interesting to see if Gilmour does play, after they won in Croatia without him even on the bench. 

You'd feel a bit hard done by to get dropped after winning away in Zagreb, but he's such a talent. 

gilmour is head and shoulders above every other player in u21s and although we beat croatia they played us off park and we scored 2 late goals. gilmour is only player that i have saw for ages that has the confidence in his ability that he believes he is best player on pitch. brilliant to see

11 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

gilmour is head and shoulders above every other player in u21s and although we beat croatia they played us off park and we scored 2 late goals. gilmour is only player that i have saw for ages that has the confidence in his ability that he believes he is best player on pitch. brilliant to see

Lol calm down, he's done zero in football to be labelled head and shoulders above the rest of the u21s. Mikey Johnston looks class as do quite a few others in that age group.

26 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

... Okay? 

At no point was I having a go at Gilmour. I simply wondered out loud. Loved watching him in the last few under-21 games. An exciting player for sure. 

Also, how nice would it be to win a game when we get played off the park in the senior side matches? The old France days. 

12 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If Middleton can improve his final ball, he looks like he could be a fantastic wee player. I'd like to see him on the right cutting in on his left foot. He looks to have a pretty decent shot.

Would be nice if he could practice by playing club football

If this is the next generation then we really are fucked. Gilmour looks decent, but apart from a few dribbles and feints in the centre circle he’s created nothing. Full backs cannae defend at all. No drive, no penetration, nothing. 

Shan times. 

Lots of nice moments, but not a team.

Defensively poor ; can't string three passes together ; have we had a shot on target?

Lithuania look a smarter side than us too -and they look poor.

Pretty terrible really. And unless something drastically changes, that win in Croatia has been all undone by this, another gutless, performance.

4 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Lots of nice moments, but not a team.

Defensively poor ; can't string three passes together ; have we had a shot on target?

Lithuania look a smarter side than us too -and they look poor.

Pretty terrible really. And unless something drastically changes, that win in Croatia has been all undone by this, another gutless, performance.

Lithuania have barely touched the ball. It’s also hammering down with rain. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Lithuania have barely touched the ball. It’s also hammering down with rain. 

Hugely frustrating match but it really pisses me off that when we batter a team with possession, more efforts on goal, they barely get out their own half etc. the other team are “smarter”. Yet when we go to Croatia and beat the top seeds, it’s just smash and grab or we were just jammy!

Tonight wasn’t a great performance, lacking cutting edge in the final third, BUT we still have FAR superior players to Lithuania, who at best were defensively well organised, as Baltic teams often are.

Edited by SWMM82

38 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If Middleton can improve his final ball, he looks like he could be a fantastic wee player. I'd like to see him on the right cutting in on his left foot. He looks to have a pretty decent shot.

Middleton was a standout and I suppose the defence kept a clean sheet.

Hornby got in the right position a dozen times and didn't test the keeper once which is a worry. Either he's not a natural finisher or the Lithuanian defence closed him down brilliantly all night

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Middleton was a standout and I suppose the defence kept a clean sheet.

Hornby got in the right position a dozen times and didn't test the keeper once which is a worry. Either he's not a natural finisher or the Lithuanian defence closed him down brilliantly all night

Hornby is our best option up front, but from what I’ve heard he isn’t a natural forward. It is a worry.