Russia V Scotland - Match Thread - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia V Scotland - Match Thread

vanderark14

F**kin Josh Magennis scored for NI again tonight against the Dutch, and someone called Kieffer Moore (aye exactly....who?) scored for Wales....after 0 goals for Wigan so far this season! And we can’t find one striker capable of putting the ball in the back of the net at international level.... 
Give Hornby his shot!

3 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

F**kin Josh Magennis scored for NI again tonight against the Dutch, and someone called Kieffer Moore (aye exactly....who?) scored for Wales....after 0 goals for Wigan so far this season! And we can’t find one striker capable of putting the ball in the back of the net at international level.... 
Give Hornby his shot!

Hornby never looked like scoring for U21s tonight so suspect chucking him in the deep end is not the answer either.

2 minutes ago, Jute said:

Hornby never looked like scoring for U21s tonight so suspect chucking him in the deep end is not the answer either.

That maybe so but it was a frustrating night for the u21s in general. He did score a double for Kortrijk In their last game and his all round game is already better than McBurnie in my opinion, so why not give him a shot??

Just now, SWMM82 said:

That maybe so but it was a frustrating night for the u21s in general. He did score a double for Kortrijk In their last game and his all round game is already better than McBurnie in my opinion, so why not give him a shot??

Because the Scotland team aren't creating chances. It's not like Burke and Shankland had chances on a plate.

I wish the problem was just in the striking department but it's not. Goalkeeper, central defence, midfield, attack we're a shambles. It's not like we have any injuries to key players.

What we had out last night was out strongest team, barring Tierney and McTominay.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Because the Scotland team aren't creating chances. It's not like Burke and Shankland had chances on a plate.

I wish the problem was just in the striking department but it's not. Goalkeeper, central defence, midfield, attack we're a shambles. It's not like we have any injuries to key players.

What we had out last night was out strongest team, barring TiernWhat we had out last night was out strongest team, barring Tierney and McTominay.ey and McTominay.

Now you're being silly. That was nowhere near our strongest team! 

4 minutes ago, dezmondo said:

Now you're being silly. That was nowhere near our strongest team! 

Who was missing?

Who, apart from Tierney and McTominay are significantly better than the players who played last night?

Everyone keeps talking up McGregor and McGinn. Both played. Fleck plays each week in the EPL. Burke starts in La Liga. Fraser.

What, McBurnie? The Russians would be terrified of him, I'm sure.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

14 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

What we had out last night was out strongest team, barring Tierney and McTominay.

I get what your saying, that was never our strongest team though. 
He’s not a poacher but what Hornby can do, which our other strikers seem completely incapable of, is hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, as well as take some of the pressure off our defence.

Have you got a better solution when it comes to strikers?

Edited by SWMM82

9 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

I get what your saying but that was never our strongest team. 
He’s not a poacher but what Hornby can do, which our other strikers seem completely incapable of, is hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, as well as take some of the pressure off our defence.

Have you got a better solution when it comes to strikers?

I think it was. Fraser, Snodgrass, Fleck, Mcginn, Robertson all play in the EPL. Burke in La Liga and McGregor with Celtic. That's 7 players who are a first pick for us. Add Mulgrew and Marshall, which makes 9.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Hornby higher than McBurnie.

Play two up front. For too long our midfield has filed balls up to the long striker and expecting the poor sod to run around like a headless chicken. At least it would lighten the load on our strikers.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I think it was. Fraser, Snodgrass, Fleck, Mcginn, Robertson all play in the EPL. Burke in La Liga and McGregor with Celtic. That's 7 players who are a first pick for us. Add Mulgrew and Gordon, which makes 9.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Hornby higher than McBurnie.

Play two up front. For too long our midfield has filed balls up to the long striker and expecting the poor sod to run around like a headless chicken. At least it would lighten the load on our strikers.

I know many on here would disagree,, but I would always have Forrest in my strongest XI with Fraser on the opposite side. Add to that McTominay instead of Fleck who doesn’t do it for me. Obviously Tierney would be in there either at right back or at centre back. 

McKenna and Souttar are ahead of any of the centre backs that played tonight.... and that’s coming from someone who really rated Mulgrew up until the last season or two.

Ryan Jack has been terrific this season, Europe in particular, and has improved immensely under Gerrard. Wouldn’t be against playing him as a holding midfielder or at right back.

To me it doesn’t matter where Burke plies his trade or how much he has commanded in transfer fees...he has done the square root of f**k all every club he has been at since Nottingham Forest. An athlete yes, but zero football intelligence. 
A fit and well Griffiths and Hornby are the two I would put ahead of the likes of Burke, McBurnie and Brophy.

To tell you the truth, mate, I'm beginning to think that no matter who we put out on the field they just look like deer in headlights.

I do agree with a lot of your points, especially about Burke, but I don't think it matters. I really don't. We're just too far down the Rabbit hole to ever change things or improve. 

I'll always support Scotland, but I'm done with thd SFA and the entire framework of Scottish football.

3 hours ago, exile said:

There's a real danger, that if the players are as scunnered as the fans, they just won't turn up either. 

That would be a bit fucking rich. They're the only twats that can change the performances. 

I've never seen a bigger bunch of heartless losers. I'm shite at football but I always gave everything I had and nobody was in any doubt about that. You cannot say the same for those players tonight. 

Don't think I'll bother with any of the other games from this group. It's pointless, a bit like our recent past. 

24 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Snodgrass was rubbish. Mental that people think he is a better option than Forrest. 

A bit like Mulgrew (and Berra before that) - a nice guy, plenty of effort, enjoys playing for Scotland - but well and truly past it.

Wouldn't name Mulgrew or Snodgrass in next month's squad. Get the young lads in.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A bit like Mulgrew (and Berra before that) - a nice guy, plenty of effort, enjoys playing for Scotland - but well and truly past it.

Wouldn't name Mulgrew or Snodgrass in next month's squad. Get the young lads in.

What young lads?

Any of those that can't beat Lithuania at home

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Snodgrass was rubbish. Mental that people think he is a better option than Forrest. 

What has happened to snodgrass? He used to have a bit of composure about him now he seems to charge about like a heidless chicken, falling over his feet, falling over the ball. 

Except he's been consistently putting in decent performances for West Ham in the Premier League. Whereas Forrest has hardly ever done it in a Scotland shirt and he looks good week in, week out  because he's not up against the same quality that Snodgrass is.

6 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Clarke got the job because the sfa couldn’t be arsed doing a thorough investigation into what managers in world football were available, so they settled for the tried and tested method of picking a Scottish manager, a formula that has failed year after year. 

Spot on.

I remember Gordon Smith promising a full and thorough investigation of ALL possible candidates for the Scotland managers job after Burley was binned. About 5 days later, practically without any competition or challenge, Levein was appointed. It’s been that way ever since. The SFA still feel burned by the Vogts appointment and won’t do anything radical such as consider a European based coach. 

13 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Except he's been consistently putting in decent performances for West Ham in the Premier League. Whereas Forrest has hardly ever done it in a Scotland shirt and he looks good week in, week out  because he's not up against the same quality that Snodgrass is.

Except the hasn’t been putting in decent performances. He’s started 1 game this season, when Yaromolenko was out. He won’t start for then when Yaromolenko is fit and available. He’s not scored since Dec 2018. He’s scored 2 league goals for W Ham in the entire time he has been there, since Jan 2017.

17 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Spot on.

I remember Gordon Smith promising a full and thorough investigation of ALL possible candidates for the Scotland managers job after Burley was binned. About 5 days later, practically without any competition or challenge, Levein was appointed. It’s been that way ever since. The SFA still feel burned by the Vogts appointment and won’t do anything radical such as consider a European based coach. 

100%. We are backwards in everything we do from training methods, diet to picking our head coaches. Fuck me Peter cunting Grant got a gig as did McFadden!!!

Subbing forrest for snodgrass would be bring on a turd for turd, they’ve both been shite for Scotland.te only reason you prefer forrest is because he plays for Celtic.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

We have to Clarke a proper chance to change things, it's not going to happen over night.

Does anyone think we’ll collect 9 points in the last 3 matches? It’s a minimum requirement or he should be emptied. We’ve gone backwards under him so far so he needs to show something over these matches.