Russia V Scotland - Match Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia V Scotland - Match Thread

vanderark14

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Northern Ireland just took the lead in Holland with just over 10 mins left to play. Their line up toniht is significantly worse than ours & the team they are beating is significantly better than Russia.

They have had the same manager forever, and stable results. with a cohesive core. 
2018 WCQ - Missed out via play offs
2016 Euros - Round of 16
2014 WCQ - 4th in qualifying (Behind 1.Russia 2.Portugal 3. Israel

Feel that plays a role

The Dutch have missed the 2018WC and 2016 Euros. But this Dutch side were looking like they turned around the bad campaigns of late..

Just now, Bino's said:

Happy clapper

Two of his games were against were against one of the world's best teams. Two others came against an above average Russian team. 

He inherited a severely demoralised squad.

There is a shortage of players in certain key positions and surfeit of midfielders.

Others are out injured.

He needs time.

Stick to whipping Brazil 6-0 on FIFA and thinking it would be the same in real life.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Two of his games were against were against one of the world's best teams. Two others came against an above average Russian team. 

There is a shortage of players in certain key positions and surfeit of midfielders.

Others are out injured.

He needs time.

Stick to whipping Brazil 6-0 on FIFA and thinking it would be the same in real life.

He's made us worse

He can't organise a defence

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

Cyprus away now becomes more interesting, a defeat and you'd have to say that would be it for Clarke? Due to the nature of these collapes against these allbeit better teams. We're a shadow of the Strachan side.

I don't think he would get the sack, but he would certainly be under alot of pressure.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Others are out injured.

He needs time.

Its the nature of these results though. It shouldnt be as bad as this by a long way,

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would have thought that with his coaching knowledge, Clarke could at least have got us to defend and attack at set pieces.

This is the huge issue; we can’t attack and we can’t defend. So therefore we have no chance. So f&&&&&g disheartened.

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would have thought that with his coaching knowledge, Clarke could at least have got us to defend and attack at set pieces.

This is my concern. We show no improvement in the areas I felt were Clarkes strengths. 

5 minutes ago, JECK said:

Cyprus away now becomes more interesting, a defeat and you'd have to say that would be it for Clarke? Due to the nature of these collapes against these allbeit better teams. We're a shadow of the Strachan side.

Didn't he have McGregor, Brown, Griffiths. Players like that make a difference.

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Its the nature of these results though. It shouldnt be as bad as this by a long way,

The results against Belgium would have been just the same with Strachan in charge and maybe even worse under McLeish.

I'm backing Clarke because I'm a realist.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The results against Belgium would have been just the same with Strachan in charge and maybe even worse under McLeish.

I'm backing Clarke because I'm a realist.

Im not convinced the performances and nature of the defeats would be the same under Strachan.

I can't remember ever being beaten so effortlessly so often with so many goals flying past without reply.

They say 2019 is the worst calendar year (since I don't know when). And it's not over yet.   

Edited by exile

I have not been here since Scotland v England 2-2 game, not just the fact I lost interest in Scotland at the time but some people were acting like I was total scum for no reason that I know other than my complete lack of confidence in Scotland and not turning up for Scotland v England match.  Anyhow I am back.  My confidence in Scotland even lower lol,  but thought I would see what everybody is saying about our biggest defeat away in a decade and four defeats in a row in 15 years.   Mon the scots, we got the basis of a good team but in my opinion tactics all wrong.   Why go on about Strachan he is finished you mention Strachan then mention Brown, Stein, Roxburgh   whats the point on reflection of old managers reflect on who we can bring in that would be better......Like ,,,????  who cares we are garbage.

What Clarke was able to do as a club manager can't be replicated at International level due to not having the time to work with the players. If a player is an International he should be able to do the basics right, without intensive coaching. That's the biggest problem for me the players, especially at the back, aren't good enough. I think Clarke in a club setting would improve them but that's not the scenario here. I'm not giving up on him yet, but saying he got average players to perform at a high level at Kilmarnock is not comparable to the job he has now.