Steven Calker - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Calker

The_Dark_Knight

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The grandparent rule is there to help small countries like ourselves. Lots of other countries use it to benefit them. It's not ideal but it's not like we have a squad full of grandparent players. He's a guy that would instantly solve a trouble position assuming he's back to his best.

It sticks in the craw but if he got selected then I hope that he would soon realise that he had made a massive mistake when younger in playing for England and would be blown away by our support and realise what a privilege it is to pull on the dark blue of Scotland.

Not going to deny it would be controversial, but a brave move if he got called up.  I understand where people are coming from regarding his past choices for eligibility and an extreme view someone saying they would not pick him even if it meant missing out on qualification and I cannot agree I do respect that stance. My opinion is the Manager needs to make the team successful within the rules of the game, if you wear the dark blue, you represent the dark blue and you represent my wishes as a fan - to have a decent team who makes it tournaments.  I don't know anything about his ability, if he truly is better than what we have currently, then I would support calling him up. 

Oooh this is my 666th post.............

Edited by romanticscot

19 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

When did you last see him play?

Dunno, probably when he was at Cardiff, I am only suggesting he would be an upgrade if he's can regain the form that saw him break through at Tottenham. If he's not at that standard then he's not gunna much better than what we have.

We need to get the monkey of our back regarding not qualifying for tournaments and if it means sticking caulker at centre back for a few years until we get a decent home grown cb then so be it. Imo we would have a much bigger chance of winning this play off with caulker at the heart of the defence and it's not like we have a squad full of grandparent rule players. We have some good players in our squad, especially midfield and wingers, not to mention Tierney and robertson. It would be a shame for those guys to miss out on tournaments because we didn't want a grandparent rule player in our team. He could be the missing part of the puzzle that we need to form a good team.

Who scored give ratings for the Turkish league and Caulker is currently rated the 108th best player in the league and the 9th best in the Alanyaspor team.

Based on his ratings five years ago for QPR he would be a big step uo for us.

Played a total of 30 games since the 2014/15 season and no proof he is any were near the player he was. Would be a really dumb call up.

Might be better than what we have but  hardly anything to get excited about

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t want him in the team because he played for England and Great Britain, has rejected us in the past and the vast majority of us haven’t actually seen him play in years. Haha you’re deluded if you think this is the guy who’ll make the difference. 

Exactly. It’s an utter embarrassment to watch the morons on here coming away with their dreadful nonsense about this total bawbag of a player. 

The guy shouldn't be within a fkin light year of a Scotland jersey. I'd rather pick the centre-half from Annan Athletic, assuming he's Scottish (before some smartarse Googles it).

If he was any good he'd be playing for his own country but he ain't.

49 minutes ago, daviebee said:

The guy shouldn't be within a fkin light year of a Scotland jersey. I'd rather pick the centre-half from Annan Athletic, assuming he's Scottish (before some smartarse Googles it).

If he was any good he'd be playing for his own country but he ain't.

I honestly wouldn’t care if he was Beckenbauer. His ability has no bearing on this at all.

6 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

1) He's a good player

2) He's eligible 

3) He wants to play for us

That's enough for me! 

4) He's English

5) He's played for England

6) He's scored for England (100% scoring record, which he should be proud of)

7) He's not Scottish

8 hours ago, WCTA said:

I honestly wouldn’t care if he was Beckenbauer. His ability has no bearing on this at all.

I wouldn't care either. Point is though - if he was any good he'd be playing for his first choice and our country should be nobody's second.  I don't want any of these "eligibles" or CV whores near a dark blue jersey.  I can't remember which one said, "I'll consider the Scotland OPTION..."  Highly offensive yet some folk on here want to give them a jersey that should be on a Scotsman's back?  Ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I wouldn't care either. Point is though - if he was any good he'd be playing for his first choice and our country should be nobody's second.  I don't want any of these "eligibles" or CV whores near a dark blue jersey.  I can't remember which one said, "I'll consider the Scotland OPTION..."  Highly offensive yet some folk on here want to give them a jersey that should be on a Scotsman's back?  Ridiculous.

Hahaha. Having a Scotland cap on your CV right now is probably just one level above having permanent criminal record on there. 

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Nope

Only two of our current squad are English born - Palmer and McTominay.

Not as many as I thought! 

But those two are "Scottish" because they want to play for us and are eligible right? 

Truth is that if this was Messi and somehow he became eligible and wanted to play for Scotland, everyone would have his name on their shirt and be learning how to tango before you could say "bienvenido". 

My worry is that some people's reaction to Caulker is based on bigotry rather than a genuine unhappiness that he's represented another country already. 

And let me be clear, I hate the England national team more than most. 

Out of interest, is Karamoko Dembele also not welcome in our team in the future if he decides he wants to play? 

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

But those two are "Scottish" because they want to play for us and are eligible right? 

Truth is that if this was Messi and somehow he became eligible and wanted to play for Scotland, everyone would have his name on their shirt and be learning how to tango before you could say "bienvenido". 

My worry is that some people's reaction to Caulker is based on bigotry rather than a genuine unhappiness that he's represented another country already. 

Out of interest, is Karamoko Dembele also not welcome in our team in the future if he decides he wants to play? 

For me, the difference is that Caulker has already played for England. I know it was just a friendly and so technically he could still play for us. I think that rule is wrong. As soon as he made the choice to play for the England full team that should be his final decision about which country he wants to play for. 

I would like to see the rule changed so that players choose which country they would like to represent as soon as they sign professional forms for any club in the world. If they are old enough to sign professionally they are old enough to decide which country they want to represent, should they ever become good enough. They make their decision once, no changes.

54 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Mctominay chose us over England when he was 21, his dad is Scottish I think. Palmer I am guessing wanted to play for England but he has never and will never be good enough and probably just wants international football.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

That’s some mental gymnastics you’ve done there.