Steven Calker - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Calker

The_Dark_Knight

7 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

At this rate he'll be playing Champions League football this time next year. Is that good enough? 

Of course not!

Let's stick with center backs who play at a good level, like Devlin and Findley and McKenna. Nothing says quality like three defenders who were knocked out of the qualifying rounds of the Europa League by European giants HNK Rijeka and Connah's Quay Nomads..........

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Of course not!

Let's stick with center backs who play at a good level, like Devlin and Findley and McKenna. Nothing says quality like three defenders who were knocked out of the qualifying rounds of the Europa League by European giants HNK Rijeka and Connah's Quay Nomads..........

That’s international football. 

Rather than picking an Englishmen on something that’s not happened yet. 

24 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That’s international football. 

Rather than picking an Englishmen on something that’s not happened yet. 

We should pick the best players we have at our disposal. We aren't privileged enough to ignore anyone halfway decent.

France can ignore Laporte from Man City, one of the best center backs in the world, we can't ignore a player like Steven Calker. 

Let that sink in for a while.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

We should pick the best players we have at our disposal. We aren't privileged enough to ignore anyone halfway decent.

France can ignore Laporte from Man City, one of the best center backs in the world, we can't ignore a player like Steven Calker. 

Steven Caulker is not even halway decent

8 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Steven Caulker is not even halway decent

Neither is Devlin, Gallagher, Cooper or Mulgrew.

This resistance is because of where he was born. I couldn't care less where a player is born, if he has a Scottish parent or a Scottish grandparent and he's as good as or better than what we have, I'll welcome him.

Just look at Scott McTominay for example. He plays week in and week out for the biggest club in the world. He comes up to Scotland in order to play a meaningless match against San Marino.... In soaking conditions.

This lad shows more pride playing for Scotland than the majority of his Scottish born team-mates.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

8 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Absolutely.

What does it show to younger players too who have came through the ranks at U16s to U21s level.

That if you can't at least match (let alone outshine) a 27 year-old journeyman whose sole senior international appearance came in a friendly seven years ago, then you're probably not up to it.

The fact that no other Scottish centre-half currently playing the game can - that's embarrassing.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Does the fact that he's not very good matter?

He's an upgrade on what we have.

Caulker has made over 130 EPL appearances in his career. Save for Grant Hanley, who's made a few dozen EPL appearances over the years, and Liam Cooper, who made a couple of token appearances yonks ago - and who are both generally regarded as being pants - we have no central defenders who have played at that level.

I remember him randomly been signed by Liverpool and Klopp sticking him upfront last ten minutes for a game.

Was a decent prospect a few years back (capped by England in a friendly) but as said had loads of personal troubles in last few years.

Seems like change of environment has helped him but I have my doubts aswell to this.

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I don’t need to let that sink in, I know how bad things are for us and I don’t care about Laporte and France. 

Still don’t think we should cap Caulker, sends out the wrong message to youth and fringe players who still give a fuck about Scotland. 

56 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t need to let that sink in, I know how bad things are for us and I don’t care about Laporte and France. 

Still don’t think we should cap Caulker, sends out the wrong message to youth and fringe players who still give a fuck about Scotland. 

You know how bad things are and you don't want things to improve? I haven't seen Calker for a while. (It's interesting to see that so many Scotland fans regularly tune into Turkish football, since so many are saying that he's not good enough) but i know how fiery Turkish football is. He's supposed to be doing there. If that's the case then call him up.

It sends out the wrong message? I think it would send out the right message, the message being "You're not good enough, so we're going down the grandparent route", to the fringe players. And "If you want to get into the team then you must work as hard as you can", to the youth. Plus Calker has been through a lot, he would be a good influence of the next generation and be a good mentor.

I remember exactly what you said when i suggested that Andy Robertson be switched to anchorman. You said that I was "At it". Now lots of people are calling for that very thing. I would suggest that Scotland fan, en mass, be more imaginative and be open to new ideas. Hell, i would suggest that Clarke be more imaginative and be open to new ideas.

A lad like Ryan Porteous learning from Steven Calker would be a good thing, in my book.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

32 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You know how bad things are and you don't want things to improve? I haven't seen Calker for a while. (It's interesting to see that so many Scotland fans regularly tune into Turkish football, since so many are saying that he's not good enough) but i know how fiery Turkish football is. He's supposed to be doing there. If that's the case then call him up.

Of course I want things to improve, I don’t think capping Caulker is going to achieve that. He was shite at Dundee, granted he’s possibly improved at Turkey but he’s English. 

Going round in circles now so this is the last I’ll say on his eligibility and potential to improve us

32 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Calker has been through a lot, he would be a good influence of the next generation and be a good mentor.

Difficult to say if that would be the case without knowing if he’s the type of person who would want to take that on. 

22 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Of course I want things to improve, I don’t think capping Caulker is going to achieve that. He was shite at Dundee, granted he’s possibly improved at Turkey but he’s English. 

I don't care if he's English, Jamaican or Martian. If he's got Scottish lineage he has every right to play for us. Them's the rules. Don't like it? Write to FIFA and tell them to change that particular rule.

And prepare to be disappointed as he'll most probably be called up to the next squad.

23 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Difficult to say if that would be the case without knowing if he’s the type of person who would want to take that on.

In yesterday's papers he said that it would be amazing to be called up and he'd love to help and share his experience. The problem we have is we don't have older players who have been at the top level that the younger ones can look up to. He's played at the highest level.

If Clarke and his coaches deem Calker good enough, I'll welcome him. No doubt about it.

15 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I don't care if he's English, Jamaican or Martian. If he's got Scottish lineage he has every right to play for us. Them's the rules. Don't like it? Write to FIFA and tell them to change that particular rule.

And prepare to be disappointed as he'll most probably be called up to the next squad.

Waste of a letter, I know the rules and it’s only going to get worse and dilute the idea of international football but being disappointed is a part of following Scotland. 

15 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

In yesterday's papers he said that it would be amazing to be called up and he'd love to help and share his experience. The problem we have is we don't have older players who have been at the top level that the younger ones can look up to. He's played at the highest level.

Fair enough, I’d expect him to say that to the papers though. I suppose 50 odd  games in the EPL could be argued is the highest level, I suspect he’ll get called up, play a few game and fade in obscurity like many before him 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Some people are ignorant enough to think that if you play across the channel you must be good even if they haven't watched them. Not much proof of that.

except TDK, he knows everything about everything 🤣

13 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Neither is Devlin, Gallagher, Cooper or Mulgrew.

This resistance is because of where he was born. I couldn't care less where a player is born, if he has a Scottish parent or a Scottish grandparent and he's as good as or better than what we have, I'll welcome him.

Just look at Scott McTominay for example. He plays week in and week out for the biggest club in the world. He comes up to Scotland in order to play a meaningless match against San Marino.... In soaking conditions.

This lad shows more pride playing for Scotland than the majority of his Scottish born team-mates.

McTominay's been transferred to Real Madrid, I must have missed that one.

21 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

If it helps us get to a tournament and gets people enthused about the national team again go for it. Other countries use this to their advantage so should we. If they're eligible, better than what we've got, and want to play for us get them in.

Absolutely. At this stage in the game we can't afford to have a moral compass when it comes to trying to qualify. I'd play 11 Hitlers if it got us to a World Cup.

2 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Absolutely. At this stage in the game we can't afford to have a moral compass when it comes to trying to qualify. I'd play 11 Hitlers if it got us to a World Cup.

I was with you... till the Hitler thing...

I'm sure (some) Bulgarian fans would be fine with supporting 11 Hitlers, but not me.