Steven Calker - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Calker

The_Dark_Knight

35 minutes ago, kumnio said:

He wasn't good enough for Dundee, in a season we were relegated.

He is in no way good enough for Scotland.

Yeh the whole discussion is based around the idea of wether he's gotten back to his best which was when he was a talented young player breaking through at Tottenham and Cardiff. If he's the same player that he was at Dundee then he's obviously not worth bothering with. Alanyaspor have started well in the Turkish league and it's unknown wether he's a big part of that and wether he's conquered his demons that caused his promising career to nose dive. 

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

This is how I feel about it, we are at a low point and desparate for a centre back. Also we don't have alot of grandparent rule players atm so it's not like we would be fielding a non Scottish team, it would still be mostly Scots born guys. Got to take advantage of the grandparent rule in the same way other countries do.

There's something about the grandparent rule that leaves me cold, but if you look at Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, teams with similar or weaker resources than us but who have arguably been more successful in recent years (and who many on here seem impressed by), their squads are full of players who qualify to play for them via a parent or a grandparent.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh the whole discussion is based around the idea of wether he's gotten back to his best which was when he was a talented young player breaking through at Tottenham and Cardiff. If he's the same player that he was at Dundee then he's obviously not worth bothering with. Alanyaspor have started well in the Turkish league and it's unknown wether he's a big part of that and wether he's conquered his demons that caused his promising career to nose dive. 

They have played 7 matches and he has been on the park for 90 mins for 6 of them. The one where he didn't play is their only loss. 

Obviously correlation doesn't imply causation, but it at least shows he has been solidly involved so far this season and that they have faith in him. 

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

There's something about the grandparent rule that leaves me cold, but if you look at Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, teams with similar or weaker resources than us but who have arguably been more successful in recent years (and who many on here seem impressed by), their squads are full of players who qualify to play for them via a parent or a grandparent.

Correct. While I agree with you that the grandparent rule feels wrong, we need to get over ourselves when it comes to exploiting it. Ultimately other nations have no qualms about it, so we should be the same. See England poaching Declan Rice who had played three times for Ireland. For many footballers, there is little loyalty to a country anymore, particularly when they are dual nationals. So we should absolutely exploit things as much as we can. God knows we need all the talent in our squad that we can get just now.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

They have played 7 matches and he has been on the park for 90 mins for 6 of them. The one where he didn't play is their only loss. 

Obviously correlation doesn't imply causation, but it at least shows he has been solidly involved so far this season and that they have faith in him. 

Yeh it sounds promising, it would be good if he's the main reason they are doing well. 

On 10/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, wanderer said:

After last night, I suspect Monday morning Clarke will be booking a flight out to Turkey to see Caulker and question him on just how serious he is about switching...........

He has now been quoted, saying that's exactly what he's going to do (between him and scouts watching him). Also said next qualifiers might be too soon to call him up, due to changing nationality

5 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He has now been quoted, saying that's exactly what he's going to do (between him and scouts watching him). Also said next qualifiers might be too soon to call him up, due to changing nationality

I think he has been planning it since the Russia game, as Clarke was interviewed tail end of last week saying how he hopes to have 2 or 3 new faces in the next squad who have came to his attention.

Edited by wanderer

On 10/9/2019 at 1:15 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Well you did mention bigotry a few posts back. 

Maybe they would but it’s a scenario we’ll never actually come across. 

I tolerate guys like Philips and Ritchie etc but if we start calling up someone like Caulker who has represented another country and rejected us in the past, I’m done. 

Oh, come on. I feel the same way but desperate times call for desperate measures. If he steadies the ship while we wait for someone like Porteous to mature, I'm in favour. Clarke must think he offers more than Gallagher or Devlin at the moment. Don't think he (or 6' 5" Harry Souttar for that matter) would have lost that goal to Dzuba.

35 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Oh, come on. I feel the same way but desperate times call for desperate measures. If he steadies the ship while we wait for someone like Porteous to mature, I'm in favour. Clarke must think he offers more than Gallagher or Devlin at the moment. Don't think he (or 6' 5" Harry Souttar for that matter) would have lost that goal to Dzuba.

At 27, and if he is passed all his personal problems, we could probably get a good 5 years out of him.

I do not think the paper work should take as long as Clarke makes out, but certainly sounds like he wants to go across to Turkey to both speak and watch him play before he makes up his mind on calling him up or not (so not really a case of booking a flight this week to go shake on it), so probably is a little tight for the next squad.

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Embarrassing 

Absolutely.

What does it show to younger players too who have came through the ranks at U16s to U21s level.

It must be nice being an average English player and having an Irish/Scottish/Welsh granny as you know if you are anywhere at a decent level and not in the England team by 26, you'll get a call up.

Bad enough having the likes of Matt Phillips who played with England til 21.

No one's doubting their ability or commitment - I'd be committed to San Marino if I had a link/chance to play for them at any level.

Some might argue you play to your strengths, other teams do it etc ; but doesn't make it right.

And the likes of Hornby, Cairney, Jordan Archer etc are Scottish ; they were there from the start.

I wish Caulker well in his footballing career, but I don't want him to play for us.

If it helps us get to a tournament and gets people enthused about the national team again go for it. Other countries use this to their advantage so should we. If they're eligible, better than what we've got, and want to play for us get them in.

I'd love 11 Colin Hendry types playing but let's give ourselves a chance till hopefully the performance schools start delivering the goods.