Steven Calker - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Calker

The_Dark_Knight

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's really not, if a Messi level player was available in exactly the same circumstances as caulker then there would be alot less objections to him being called up. 

Except that scenario would never actually happen would it?

Theres been zero evidence of bigotry in relation to Caulker on this thread either. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Except that scenario would never actually happen would it?

Theres been zero evidence of bigotry in relation to Caulker on this thread either. 

Doesn't matter, it's still the same principle, some ppl would change their tune depending on the players ability. I ain't saying it's bigotry but ppl would defo change their principles if he was a superstar player.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Doesn't matter, it's still the same principle, some ppl would change their tune depending on the players ability. I ain't saying it's bigotry but ppl would defo change their principles if he was a superstar player.

Well you did mention bigotry a few posts back. 

Maybe they would but it’s a scenario we’ll never actually come across. 

I tolerate guys like Philips and Ritchie etc but if we start calling up someone like Caulker who has represented another country and rejected us in the past, I’m done. 

55 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Well you did mention bigotry a few posts back. 

Maybe they would but it’s a scenario we’ll never actually come across. 

I tolerate guys like Philips and Ritchie etc but if we start calling up someone like Caulker who has represented another country and rejected us in the past, I’m done. 

I'm not sure mccaughey mentioned bigotry. I did. I said I was worried that was what was underpinning some people's strong opposition to Caulker, but I also fully appreciate that many people are just of the non-bigoted opinion that once you've chosen another team, it's not cool to switch. I would just be really interested to see the reaction if he was world class and not English. 

I would rather we put a team together from players that had Scotland as their first choice so would prefer he didnt get selected, but I think folk should cut the guy some slack.
Scotland are rank rotten. It would be a lot easier for him to soak up the 26 degree sun in Turkey than travel to Scotland next month and face a potential battering against Kazakstan in the pishin rain. Cant see a lot of upside for someone not committed to Scotland. 

8 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm not sure mccaughey mentioned bigotry. I did. I said I was worried that was what was underpinning some people's strong opposition to Caulker, but I also fully appreciate that many people are just of the non-bigoted opinion that once you've chosen another team, it's not cool to switch. I would just be really interested to see the reaction if he was world class and not English. 

Ah cheers, apologies @mccaughey85

Like I said this will never happen with a decent international player, never mind a world class one. 

I thought not wanting English players to play for Scotland was the whole point of international football ...

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I would rather we put a team together from players that had Scotland as their first choice so would prefer he didnt get selected, but I think folk should cut the guy some slack.
Scotland are rank rotten. It would be a lot easier for him to soak up the 26 degree sun in Turkey than travel to Scotland next month and face a potential battering against Kazakstan in the pishin rain. Cant see a lot of upside for someone not committed to Scotland. 

He’s doing it for his own interests, granted I’m sure Scottish players are doing the same but he and his type are mercenaries 

12 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Ah cheers, apologies @mccaughey85

Like I said this will never happen with a decent international player, never mind a world class one. 

I thought not wanting English players to play for Scotland was the whole point of international football ...

The point of international football is to have something to get really excited about every few months, then experience crushing disappointment. 

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He’s doing it for his own interests, granted I’m sure Scottish players are doing the same but he and his type are mercenaries 

What do you reckon those interests are? Not sure it's a massive CV boost to play for Scotland right now. What if he was genuinely interested in helping us out while experience a proper centre back crisis? Perhaps I'm naive. 

7 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

What do you reckon those interests are? Not sure it's a massive CV boost to play for Scotland right now. What if he was genuinely interested in helping us out while experience a proper centre back crisis? Perhaps I'm naive. 

Put himself in the shop window for a move back to England?

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

My feelings exactly.

It's not as if it's a bed of roses playing for Scotland just now. If Caulker wants to play for Scotland, turns up and gives it his all then welcome aboard, I say.

From what I've seen of him he'd improve the team too, which is the most important thing.

Edited by scotlad

13 minutes ago, scotlad said:

My feelings exactly.

It's not as if it's a bed of roses playing for Scotland just now. If Caulker wants to play for Scotland, turns up and gives it his all then welcome aboard, I say.

From what I've seen of him he'd improve the team too, which is the most important thing.

This is how I feel about it, we are at a low point and desparate for a centre back. Also we don't have alot of grandparent rule players atm so it's not like we would be fielding a non Scottish team, it would still be mostly Scots born guys. Got to take advantage of the grandparent rule in the same way other countries do.

What type of message does it send? As long as someone who's played for a better nation up to a certain level ; but not quite good enough gets a call up right away ahead of even the likes of O'Donnell - who has his critics. Not that Clarke or any potential future coach would care as they need/want results to thrive, but I don't want him playing for us.

Must be quite nice being English and having a Scottish, Irish or Welsh granny so you know you can try your lot with them when you are 26 and nowhere near good enough for the homeland.

Saying that I wish him well for the future after his health issues ; but rather see us gubbed with the likes of O'Donnell, Gallagher, Mulgrew, Robertson etc than mercenaries.

Yes, that probably sounds a bit bitter. There's no denying McTominay, Hornby's commitment and have been there from the start, and I don't think many of us have an issue with players of the diaspora playing for Scotland.

Edited by weekevie04

4 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

What type of message does it send? As long as someone who's played for a better nation up to a certain level ; but not quite good enough gets a call up right away ahead of even the likes of O'Donnell - who has his critics. Not that Clarke or any potential future coach would care as they need/want results to thrive, but I don't want him playing for us.

Must be quite nice being English and having a Scottish, Irish or Welsh granny so you know you can try your lot with them when you are 26 and nowhere near good enough for the homeland.

Saying that I wish him well for the future after his health issues ; but rather see us gubbed with the likes of O'Donnell, Gallagher, Mulgrew, Robertson etc than mercenaries.

Yes, that probably sounds a bit bitter. There's no denying McTominay, Hornby's commitment and have been there from the start, and I don't think many of us have an issue with players of the diaspora playing for Scotland.

It's been like that for years, we have had loads of grandparent rule players who would of never chose us over England.

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

Something does not add up about this guy. Seems to last about a year at every club and then gets sold or goes on loan. Looks more like a journeyman than anything else. 

Suffered from mental health issues and problems with gambling and addiction. I believe he moved to Dundee as he moved in with family who lived nearby.

26 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Suffered from mental health issues and problems with gambling and addiction. I believe he moved to Dundee as he moved in with family who lived nearby.

You never know, imagine he feels grateful to Scotland that helped him with his personal issues, would that change peoples opinion? 

And as stated above, if he eligible and better than what we have, I have no issues with him being called up.