Steven Calker - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Calker

The_Dark_Knight

5 hours ago, WCTA said:

Get him to absolute fuck. 

Normally I’d be inclined to share your sentiment however this is the centre back position we are talking about here. Beggars cannot be choosers.

We are nothing short of awful at centre back and fairly good everywhere else on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Normally I’d be inclined to share your sentiment however this is the centre back position we are talking about here. Beggars cannot be choosers.

We are nothing short of awful at centre back and fairly good everywhere else on the pitch.

Findlay & Gallagher is miles better than that diddy.

I don't give a fuck if he's as good as Beckenbauer.  He's choosing us because his first choice hasn't panned out the way he wanted.  He wants to play for us as he "reckons he can do a job" not through some deep seeded desire to play for Scotland or even do his granny proud.  I genuinely couldn't care if picking him is the difference between qualifying for the tournament or not.  I'd rather lose with XI Scots/players who want to play for the jersey than win with XI who see us as some sort of consolation prize.

34 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't give a fuck if he's as good as Beckenbauer.  He's choosing us because his first choice hasn't panned out the way he wanted.  He wants to play for us as he "reckons he can do a job" not through some deep seeded desire to play for Scotland or even do his granny proud.  I genuinely couldn't care if picking him is the difference between qualifying for the tournament or not.  I'd rather lose with XI Scots/players who want to play for the jersey than win with XI who see us as some sort of consolation prize.

I agree, he has played for England. He made his choice a long time ago. 

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Findlay & Gallagher is miles better than that diddy.

Better than caulker? caulker would be playing centre back for an epl team if he didn't have his mental health problems. If he's back to near his best then he's a massive upgrade on what we have.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Agreed.

34 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Better than caulker? caulker would be playing centre back for an epl team if he didn't have his mental health problems. If he's back to near his best then he's a massive upgrade on what we have.

Aye I'm sure he would.

He's also English who's only wanting capped as he's too shite for them.

Get him to fuck.

Certainly going to give Clarke some food for thought.... on one hand its our weakest area on the park and he would certainly add to that, but he has had ample opportunities in the past and turned down approaches (and now that he is completely out of the England picture, it will take a brave decision from Clarke to call him up).

The articles doing the rounds today are based on a interview he gave to the Athletic last week (as you have to pay to subscribe to it, only read snippets of it during the week).

Some papers are making it out its as good as done that he will be called up, but I suspect we are still a long way from seeing that happen.

I think it's to early for Clarke to call him up for these round of matches, but I fully expect Calker to be called up for the next round of matches, as long as he's playing, he's healthy, both physically and mentally.

An in form and fully up-to-speed Calker is better than all of our central defenders, by a few miles. Yes, he chose England, but so did Stuart McCall, as I recall he didn't do too badly for Scotland.

If it happens, it happens. I have no opinion on the subject. However, all things being equal, he'll be called up for the next squad. We have to stop being so idealistic. If people genuinely think that 100% of our players wouldn't play for England if they had a chance, I'd say that they're fit for a padded cell.

Steve Clarke's hands are tied. Simple as that. He's working with supremely limited players, from defence onwards. He's going to go down every avenue possible. He has to. Scotland clubs aren't producing good enough players. None of them are.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

29 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Nothing he’s done or said in the past suggests he’s Scottish and he will not improve our team. 

Watching us getting pumped is bad enough without using 3rd rate English guys again.  

He would improve our team imo depending if he's anyway near what he was when he was at Tottenham or Cardiff.

9 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Alanyaspor in Turkey.

Was about to make a right tit of myself by saying that was no recommendation for a Scotland squad, but they are top of the Turkish league and only lost to Besiktas last weekend. caulker has played in all matches so far.

Still don't think he should be in a Scotland squad but arguably the Turkish league is stronger than the our league. And UK players don't tend to do well there ( fatty Boyd, Michael Stewart to name two. apart from Les Ferdinand in the 80s of course.

1 minute ago, Burj_Alba said:

Was about to make a right tit of myself by saying that was no recommendation for a Scotland squad, but they are top of the Turkish league and only lost to Besiktas last weekend. caulker has played in all matches so far.

Still don't think he should be in a Scotland squad but arguably the Turkish league is stronger than the our league. And UK players don't tend to do well there ( fatty Boyd, Michael Stewart to name two. apart from Les Ferdinand in the 80s of course.

:lol:

Yeah, it's definitely stronger than the SPL. And hey, they're top, the must be pretty decent. Whether or not they stay top is another matter, though.

27 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He played 18 and 38 league games for them respectively. He’s a journeyman who wanted to play for England. 

When he was only 20/21, he was clearly a talented young centre back before his mental health problems and even an epl journeyman centre back is better than what we have. I can understand your argument regarding him not being Scottish enough but he's a massive upgrade on what we have if he's back to the form that he showed when breaking through at Tottenham.

58 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Nah, should be nowhere near a Scotland strip.......it’s bizarre the number of people who just don’t get what international football is all about...... especially on an international team forum! 

The grandparent rule is there to help small countries like ourselves. Lots of other countries use it to benefit them. It's not ideal but it's not like we have a squad full of grandparent players. He's a guy that would instantly solve a trouble position assuming he's back to his best.

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

When he was only 20/21, he was clearly a talented young centre back before his mental health problems and even an epl journeyman centre back is better than what we have. I can understand your argument regarding him not being Scottish enough but he's a massive upgrade on what we have if he's back to the form that he showed when breaking through at Tottenham.

When did you last see him play?