The manager - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The manager

0Neils40yarder

As pointless as this win was (bar McGinn hopefully feeling more at home at international level) it does mean avoid defeat in Cyprus (Russia knocked 4 past them) and 3rd place should be secured.

Under 2016 qualifying that would've meant a two legged play off.

If McLeish had stayed in I'm not convinced he'd have even managed 3rd in the group e.g. 1-1 draw with Cyprus instead of the late win so would cut Clarke some slack for that if he does achieve it. The average finishing position for Scotland in qualifying groups is usually 4th over last decade.

Edited by Tartan Chris

I think this game told us, that the players care and they are obviously playing for the jersey.

Very difficult conditions coming in to a game that no one fancied really after 4 back-to-back hidings. 

I've probably been on repeat throughout the board, but let's move forward and on. Yes, we will need a lot of luck and to improve tenfold if we are to get through the playoffs ; but if we can somehow muster up couple more wins (I'd even take a good performance but only a point in Nicosia) and get the gears clicking before March.

12 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I think this game told us, that the players care and they are obviously playing for the jersey.

Very difficult conditions coming in to a game that no one fancied really after 4 back-to-back hidings. 

I've probably been on repeat throughout the board, but let's move forward and on. Yes, we will need a lot of luck and to improve tenfold if we are to get through the playoffs ; but if we can somehow muster up couple more wins (I'd even take a good performance but only a point in Nicosia) and get the gears clicking before March.

The only thing that would be of much use tonight would be ranking players on an "effortmeter" 

As usual it is easy to see who was playing for the Jersey the most.

16 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

As pointless as this win was (bar McGinn hopefully feeling more at home at international level) it does mean avoid defeat in Cyprus (Russia knocked 4 past them) and 3rd place should be secured.

Under 2016 qualifying that would've meant a two legged play off.

If McLeish had stayed in I'm not convinced he'd have even managed 3rd in the group e.g. 1-1 draw with Cyprus instead of the late win so would cut Clarke some slack for that if he does achieve it. The average finishing position for Scotland in qualifying groups is usually 4th over last decade.

You're just making stuff up now. 

17 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

You appear to be taking a victory against Kazakhstan at Hampden for granted. 

Winning in Cyprus would almost guarantee third place as long as we don’t lose to Kazakhstan but if we draw our last two games we’ll finish fourth (assuming Kazakhstan win in San Marino and Belgium beat Cyprus). 

Russia won 0-5 last night but they only beat Cyprus 1-0 at home. They also pumped us 4-0 last week. I don’t think we can use their victory last night to assume we won’t lose in Cyprus. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Winning in Cyprus would almost guarantee third place as long as we don’t lose to Kazakhstan but if we draw our last two games we’ll finish fourth (assuming Kazakhstan win in San Marino and Belgium beat Cyprus). 

Russia won 0-5 last night but they only beat Cyprus 1-0 at home. They also pumped us 4-0 last week. I don’t think we can use their victory last night to assume we won’t lose in Cyprus. 

I think I've said consistantly since draw was made Cyprus could easily be a Georgia style banana skin away tie particularly if there are numerous call offs.

It wouldn't shock me at all if that is a draw or even worse.

Yes I would expect to beat Kazakhstan at home.

Edit: The point I was trying to make is after the horrific first game I can't remember too many on here expecting to finish 3rd so Clarke would do o.k to at least salvage that if he can take 4 points from last two games.

Edited by Tartan Chris

11 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I think I've said consistantly since draw was made Cyprus could easily be a Georgia style banana skin away tie particularly if there are numerous call offs.

It wouldn't shock me at all if that is a draw or even worse.

Yes I would expect to beat Kazakhstan at home.

Edit: The point I was trying to make is after the horrific first game I can't remember too many on here expecting to finish 3rd so Clarke would do o.k to at least salvage that if he can take 4 points from last two games.

Fair enough but I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t beat Kazakhstan. Would be good to end the campaign on a high with two victories though. It would give us such much needed confidence. 

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Agree, but the Russians should have won 4 or 5 nil in the home game with Cyprus, they were woeful with finishing chances. I remember there was a thread here and the stats showed Russia had close to 30 shots on goal and 1 goal. 

I'm not sure how we will go with Cyprus, Cyprus now have nothing to play for given they have been eliminated. We are building for the play offs and should be more motivated for the remaining games. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Fair enough but I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t beat Kazakhstan. Would be good to end the campaign on a high with two victories though. It would give us such much needed confidence. 

The Kazakhs have proven to be tough to break down. I do feel though we will be the only motivated side in these matches and should really be hoping for wins. Not sure though... 

Clarke has won the two games he's been expected to win, lost the three games he's been expected to lose, and his only other match was a disappointment against a good team. 

Let's see what he does with the next four games before really starting to question his management. 

9 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Clarke has won the two games he's been expected to win, lost the three games he's been expected to lose, and his only other match was a disappointment against a good team. 

Let's see what he does with the next four games before really starting to question his management. 

Clarke has won the two games he was expected to win (just) Lost the three games he's been expected to lose (embarrassingly) and his only other match was a massive disappointment against a good team. 

Let's see what he does with the next four games before really starting to question his management., I'll give you that one

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Clarke has won the two games he was expected to win (just) Lost the three games he's been expected to lose (embarrassingly) and his only other match was a massive disappointment against a good team. 

Let's see what he does with the next four games before really starting to question his management., I'll give you that one

We were hardly embarrassed in Belgium. 

40 minutes ago, jailender said:

I see on the BBC that Gary Caldwell saying that he is better suited to manage Scotland than he was to manage Partick, as he played 55 times for Scotland, but never played in the Championship !!!🤔

The lying bugger.

He played a couple of games for Wigan in the Championship near at the end of his time there.

And as a young player, he also played on loan for Derby and Coventry in what used to be Division One but which is now the Championship.

51 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The lying bugger.

He played a couple of games for Wigan in the Championship near at the end of his time there.

And as a young player, he also played on loan for Derby and Coventry in what used to be Division One but which is now the Championship.

Good chance he meant the Scottish Championship