The manager - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The manager

0Neils40yarder

I totally agree he should be given time, the SFA should be looking now towards his replacement and give time to thinking about the right man in two/three time.

At the moment not even God could do a job with the shite we have to pick from. I have said many times on here before, having followed the lads around the world for well over 50 years...this is the poorest selection of players I have ever known. There is not one World class scottish player currently, Scotland as a footballing nation are not even second rate...we are struggling to be a 3rd tier nation!!

2 hours ago, RobRoy69 said:

I totally agree he should be given time, the SFA should be looking now towards his replacement and give time to thinking about the right man in two/three time.

At the moment not even God could do a job with the shite we have to pick from. I have said many times on here before, having followed the lads around the world for well over 50 years...this is the poorest selection of players I have ever known. There is not one World class scottish player currently, Scotland as a footballing nation are not even second rate...we are struggling to be a 3rd tier nation!!

Have to disagree there

The pool of players available from circa 2001/02 - 2005 was really grim. Much, much worse than now.

We have on paper some good players - Andy Robertson, John McGinn and Ryan Fraser for example - but getting them to replicate their club form is the big problem.

Andy Robertson is arguably borderline world class.

Give the guy a chance.   Taking the lead v Russia was pretty cool.  Good position to be in just a shame we couldn't go on to get a 2nd. 

Not his fault we fuked up v borat's lot.  

Other results in the group have not gone in our favour either (making 2nd dam near impossible) 

37 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Have to disagree there

The pool of players available from circa 2001/02 - 2005 was really grim. Much, much worse than now.

We have on paper some good players - Andy Robertson, John McGinn and Ryan Fraser for example - but getting them to replicate their club form is the big problem.

Andy Robertson is arguably borderline world class

Hahaha 

As a killie fan, I have seen first hand what he can do. We need to remember he is only 2 weeks in the job in terms of working with the players. Give him time!

In terms of the quality debate, I've been a regular since the 90s and this is the worst team I've seen. The defence is horrific, I wouldn't even give SOD a start for killie the form he's in, but who else is there?

Our biggest issue I feel is a lack of defensive midfielders though. Everyone says the midfield is great, but if you play 5 attacking mids there is no balance and you'll get cut open. 

Maybe against Russia we should play a 4-3-2-1. A point v Russia away would be far better mentally than either a brave or crushing loss. Central defence is so weak force them out wide, and get a better defensive shift from Robertaon and tell SOD just defend, then pace with Fraser and Burke up front with Snidgrass sitting in front of SOD to carry the ball up when needed. No place for Christie as a starter. 

Guest ElChris04

Just me that would have called up Aaron Hickey to play right back? He’s some pler for his age and for me is going to make a fine footballer. He’s 17 and has ability Stephen O’Donnell and Palmer could only dream of, I do genuinely believe Hickey will be the answer to our problems at right back long term. But short term there would be nothing wrong in getting him in. He’s already better than any right back on the team. And for me warranted a call up.

if your good enough your old enough - and Hickey is good enough.

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, Bino's said:

Malky Mackay made a better effort at it

That 1-0 loss to the Dutch doesn’t seem so bad now. He also played Jack right back and since then he’s the only player who’s played there who’s been remotely decent at it.

7 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

That 1-0 loss to the Dutch doesn’t seem so bad now. He also played Jack right back and since then he’s the only player who’s played there who’s been remotely decent at it.

Paterson has a competitive record of 3 out of three since the Dutch game and he actually went on that stupid South America tour.

Not liking some ones moustache or listening to Neil Warnock's opinions are pretty poor excuses not to rate a player..

It might only have been Albania and Israel but those were our best performances since Strachan left.

Guest ElChris04
6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Paterson has a competitive record of 3 out of three since the Dutch game and he actually went on that stupid South America tour.

Not liking some ones moustache or listening to Neil Warnock's opinions are pretty poor excuses not to rate a player..

It might only have been Albania and Israel but those were our best performances since Strachan left.

I’ve personally never been a fan of Paterson at right back but even then as a right back is better than O’Donnell, I take what Warnock says with a pinch of salt. 

Not judging him until the end of the campaign. 

Belgium x 2 were guaranteed losses

Russia x 1 well it was an expected loss as they are the superior side. The performance was disappointing but i do feel we lack the cattle to compete. 

Cyprus x 1 got the result. 

Russia will likely take us lightly imo. They have a tendency to do that. In the Russia games Cyprus and kazakhstan both parked the bus and although heavily outplayed kept the Russians down to a goal. I would be happy if we can do the same.

If we grab 7 points in our remaining 4 matches that would be a pass mark for me going into the play offs. Anything less and we are fucked. Kazakhstan and Cyprus have both shown to be tough teams to crack in this campaign. 

The ideal scenario us 9 points and a solid prep for the playoffs with a confident squad. 

43 minutes ago, infamous said:

Not judging him until the end of the campaign. 

Belgium x 2 were guaranteed losses

Russia x 1 well it was an expected loss as they are the superior side. The performance was disappointing but i do feel we lack the cattle to compete

Cyprus x 1 got the result. 

Russia will likely take us lightly imo. They have a tendency to do that. In the Russia games Cyprus and kazakhstan both parked the bus and although heavily outplayed kept the Russians down to a goal. I would be happy if we can do the same.

If we grab 7 points in our remaining 4 matches that would be a pass mark for me going into the play offs. Anything less and we are fucked. Kazakhstan and Cyprus have both shown to be tough teams to crack in this campaign. 

The ideal scenario us 9 points and a solid prep for the playoffs with a confident squad. 

Aye we need a couple of defenders that'll hoof it out of play when danger threatens, and someone in midfield to take the bull by the horns.

We should be ok in Russia cos it'll be friesian over there.

Edited by daviebee
Thought up another corny pun.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Aye we need a couple of defenders that'll hoof it out of play when danger threatens, and someone in midfield to take the bull by the horns.

We also have strikers who couldnae hit a coos erse wi a banjo.

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

Better take a Jersey. 😬

20 hours ago, RobRoy69 said:

At the moment not even God could do a job with the shite we have to pick from. I have said many times on here before, having followed the lads around the world for well over 50 years...this is the poorest selection of players I have ever known. 

That is harsh - we have one or two decent players. But then again I have only been following for over forty years.

Time will tell if Clarke can turn things around but the defence has been shocking, even in the Cyprus game.

The old quote that its never a good idea to let the fans appoint the manager is always in my mind but Clarke is as good as the SFA will currently attract.

It may turn out that Killie was his level but he deserves time and could not have walked into a worse series of fixtures after Cyprus - Belgium, Russia, Belgium then Russia.

Remember Russia only defeated Kazakhstan at home with a last minute goal so a humping may not be a foregone conclusion.

Edited by Catchart Circle
spelling error

20 hours ago, RobRoy69 said:

Utter shite. Lazy, lazy repeated shite from people happy to roll over and have their belly tickled. 
St. Johnstone’s Matty Kennedy has today been drafted into the NI squad. A squad that is full of dross like that. A squad that regularly gets better results than Scotland.