Starting XI for Russia - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting XI for Russia

0Neils40yarder

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

Forrest and McGregor don't offer much anyway.  Would play Mcginn in this game 

No idea why but McGinn completely slipped my mind, maybe see Clarke dropping Christie or fleck to  accommodate him.

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Giving the update of who’s in and out. He’s how I’d line up 

5-4-1 

Palmer-Findlay-Gallagher-Mulgrew-Robertson 

Snodgrass-Fleck-Christie-Fraser

Burke

Clarke going with 5 at the back is extremely unlikely but feel it’s worth a shot with Gallagher and Findlay. Don’t feel we have the players available to use a 4 at the back. 

Forrest and McGregor are burnt out and need a rest, otherwise they would walk into the team. Hopefully used later on in the game. 

Shankland can’t be thrown in the deep end right away I’d imagine so Burke makes the most sense with his pace to get in behind a ageing Russia defence. 

Going with a 5? Good man.

Didn't do Newcastle any hard against Manchester United.

(Plus Wolves beat Man City using 3-4-3)

Gallagher is apparently 6ft 5 in. I wonder if he might be brought into deal with their big striker. We’ll probably get humped but I’m always optimistic. If the big striker is nullified we have a chance. I do worry we lack physicality in midfield with McTominsy out. I’d play Armstrong in there to break the lines. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Marshall

Palmer     Findlay     Mulgrew     Robertson

Fleck

McGinn               Armstrong

Forrest                        Christie                             Fraser

No Forward? madness.

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

The front 3 are all very attack minded. We don't have a forward I'd want to start. 

As much as I get what you mean we really can't start without a forward. Christie is still very lighweight and could get bullied in this game, same with Forrest. 

Right back is a worrisome position so I can see the temptation to try Palmer, but I am alarmed that he has never played apart from Kazakhstan despite being in other squads. Is Clarke just that loyal to his killie player or does Palmer seem even less capable in training than O'Donnell does?  

I'd have gone for a fit Ryan Jack there but c'est la vie. 

Marshall- SOD, Findlay, Mulgrew, Robbo- Fleck, Mclean- Snodgrass, Mcginn, Fraser-Burke

Very close to Mcgregor ahead of Mclean and Forrest ahead of snodgrass, but despite thinking they are both excellent players even I have to admit they have clearly played too much so far this year and are suffering from burn out for their club as well as us. Mcgregor did look a bit more like himself in the european game... and then vanished at Livi. So Mclean edges it. Forrest has not had the impact he usually has for a month or two now. Hopefully he is back at it for the return of the Nations League; if he has the same success when it comes back as he did in the end of our Nations League group games, we might just qualify... 

Edited by AndyDD

27 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Right back is a worrisome position so I can see the temptation to try Palmer, but I am alarmed that he has never played apart from Kazakhstan despite being in other squads. Is Clarke just that loyal to his killie player or does Palmer seem even less capable in training than O'Donnell does?  

I'd have gone for a fit Ryan Jack there but c'est la vie. 

Marshall- SOD, Findlay, Mulgrew, Robbo- Fleck, Mclean- Snodgrass, Mcginn, Fraser-Burke

Very close to Mcgregor ahead of Mclean and Forrest ahead of snodgrass, but despite thinking they are both excellent players even I have to admit they have clearly played too much so far this year and are suffering from burn out for their club as well as us. Mcgregor did look a bit more like himself in the european game... and then vanished at Livi. So Mclean edges it. Forrest has not had the impact he usually has for a month or two now. Hopefully he is back at it for the return of the Nations League; if he has the same success when it comes back as he did in the end of our Nations League group games, we might just qualify... 

The Nations League doesn't start again until next September. We will have the Euro 2020 finals to play in before then. ;)

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The Nations League doesn't start again until next September. We will have the Euro 2020 finals to play in before then. ;)

Haha, I'm counting the playoffs via the Nations League as part of the Nations League. 

Granted, this is not how Uefa see it, but still... 

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Disnae matter who plays up front, we'll hardly get over the half way line. 

I forgot it was France we were playing. 

Russia aren’t that good and if we get at them the same way we did in the first 15 minutes at Hampden then we have an outside chance of getting something from the game. 

Ok if we stand off them and let them play the way we did for the middle third of the home game then we could be in trouble. Hopefully Clarke and the players that have bothered to turn up will have learned from the last game though. 

5 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Haha, I'm counting the playoffs via the Nations League as part of the Nations League. 

Granted, this is not how Uefa see it, but still... 

But still what? Nations League was finished in June. 

You’re basically saying the equivalent to someone claiming the Champions League qualifers are the same competition as the Scottish Premiership as you have to win the SP to get into the Champions League. 

Not that it really matters but there’s not much to reply to on here these days. 😂

At the moment, we have a pretty brutal selection of players for this match. Tossing up between the usual formation and playing a different formation.

Usual formation: Marshall; Taylor, Findlay, Mulgrew, Robertson; Snodgrass, Armstrong, Christie, Fleck, Fraser; Burke.

5-3-1-1 (wing backs): Marshall; Fraser, Gallagher, Mulgrew, Findlay, Robertson; Armstrong, Fleck, McGinn; Christie; Burke. I appreciate this is a big change on what we have been used to playing but truthfully, we have been absolutely honking defensively recently, merely a different idea to try to stem the defensive issues.

Ultimately I'd expect our usual formation to be stuck with but I'm open to being more defensive for this match

4-1-4-1

Marshall

O'Donnel Gallagher Findlay Robertson

Mulgrew - sitting DM. Good passer.

Armstrong McGregor McGinn Snodgrass

Christie

Pack the midfield with players who can keep the ball (minus McGinn!)

Christie drops deep and has played up front for Celtic a couple of times I believe.

I'm not going to argue with anyone about this team as I still think its gash.  Who would have thought I misded Ryan Jack so much?!

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

But still what? Nations League was finished in June. 

You’re basically saying the equivalent to someone claiming the Champions League qualifers are the same competition as the Scottish Premiership as you have to win the SP to get into the Champions League. 

Not that it really matters but there’s not much to reply to on here these days. 😂

Hahaha well obviously I'm saying whilst I understand it's not really accurate, I still choose in my head to see it as the same competition, for talking's sake.

Essentially because it is the nations league that gets you the playoff places, rather than the qualification groups. 

I'd argue it's more like saying the world cup qualifiers are the same thing as the world cup, even though really the world cup doesn't start until the opening game of the tournament. 

Definitely haha awk well, doesn't stop us coming on. More fool us, I suppose.