Starting XI for Russia - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting XI for Russia

0Neils40yarder

Guest ElChris04
17 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Would never again put Forrest in against a half decent side. He has never done anything ever. He hides. Snodgrass at the very very least brings a bit of character, good set pieces and never hides. Forrest literally brings nothing against every single half decent side we've played. He hides in the big games against decent sides. My judgement on him was clouded for a while with that hat trick against those *absolute diddys* in the Nations League, but it has been the usual with him ever since. 

What a lot of nonsense. 

Those same “diddy teams” have beat Wales, Iceland, Austria since. There certainly not shite. And in fact both games have been the best we’ve played since Strachan, trying to undermine them to suit your point against Forrest is petty. 

As a Celtic supporter Forrest has been absolutely burned out with game after game (same with McGregor ) so it’s little surprise he’s went missing recently. None the less IF both actually had a well deserved rest for us at club level and walked into the Scotland team you’d see them as they where back in those 2 games. Totally unplayable. It’s a shame he’s getting made a scapegoat for other’s wrong doings in overplaying him. 

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

What a lot of nonsense. 

Those same “diddy teams” have beat Wales, Iceland, Austria since. There certainly not shite. And in fact both games have been the best we’ve played since Strachan, trying to undermine them to suit your point against Forrest is petty. 

As a Celtic supporter Forrest has been absolutely burned out with game after game (same with McGregor ) so it’s little surprise he’s went missing recently. None the less IF both actually had a well deserved rest for us at club level and walked into the Scotland team you’d see them as they where back in those 2 games. Totally unplayable. It’s a shame he’s getting made a scapegoat for other’s wrong doings in overplaying him. 

he's not being made a scapegoat and the post you quoted wasn't petty

until the Israel and Albania games, Forrest was non existent for Scotland and he's went back to the same player in recent matches.

Guest ElChris04
50 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

he's not being made a scapegoat and the post you quoted wasn't petty

until the Israel and Albania games, Forrest was non existent for Scotland and he's went back to the same player in recent matches.

The whole post was basically undermining both matches we won because apparently they where shite teams, they weren’t.

Forrest career was reinvented when Brendan game In. If he did in fact get a deserved break I’m fully confident those 2 games would be a regular occurrence for Scotland since then. But a terrible defence and being burnt out doesn’t exactly help.

Guest ElChris04
15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Forrest  runs faster when there is a guy with a moustache behind him.

Bring back Paterson.

Helps a lot when you know the guy behind you is actually semi decent right back, that Russia game was a nightmare for Forrest. Especially first half. Done more defending than SOD and had to track back for his terrible defending. 

With Paterson not in the team, would be good to see Jack there again, put in a good shift against the Netherlands. And is used to covering Tavernier on the right for club. 

--------------------------Marshall-------------------------

O'Donnel----Mulgrew-----Findlay-----Robertson 

----------------Jack----------------McGregor------------ 

----Snodgrass----Christie----Fraser-----

------McBurnie-------

God thar is a depressing team. Defence weak.  Wingers hot and cold.  Striker low on goals.

37 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

The whole post was basically undermining both matches we won because apparently they where shite teams, they weren’t.

Forrest career was reinvented when Brendan game In. If he did in fact get a deserved break I’m fully confident those 2 games would be a regular occurrence for Scotland since then. But a terrible defence and being burnt out doesn’t exactly help.

You are clearly not understanding the post, he wasn't undermining those games at all. The point being made is Forrest isn't very good for Scotland with the exception of those two games. He is awesome for Celtic but not for scotland, this is a common tale with other players but others have not had 25+ caps to come up with a performance. We all want to see the James Forrest we see playing for Celtic but we don't see it often enough.

Using the fact we have a poor right back is a cop out IMO, it doesn't excuse Forrest being non existent and playing poorly

I can't believe anyone is putting O'Donnell in the team, did you not see the last 2 games?

He's nowhere near good enough.

Jack has to play RB for me, just a steadier player all round.

As I said I think Hanley will be tasked with blootering the big Russian beside Mulgrew.

Midfield 5 of McLean, McGregor, Christie, Fraser and Snoddy with McBurnie up top.

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

You are clearly not understanding the post, he wasn't undermining those games at all. The point being made is Forrest isn't very good for Scotland with the exception of those two games. He is awesome for Celtic but not for scotland, this is a common tale with other players but others have not had 25+ caps to come up with a performance. We all want to see the James Forrest we see playing for Celtic but we don't see it often enough.

Using the fact we have a poor right back is a cop out IMO, it doesn't excuse Forrest being non existent and playing poorly

Again, go back to my first post. He’s been playing non stop and he’s completely burnt out. He’s been inconsistent for Celtic recently aswell due to it, it isn’t just Scotland. And another is he only really got into his prime when Brendan arrived. He was extremely inconsistent before which is understandable.

But again, when he played those 2 games. He wasn’t playing every game therefore James was primed and ready, there was a good balance of him playing and getting a rest where as now under Lennon he is playing every single game ( as McGregor ) is with no rest to get back to his best. I personally feel he’s getting used as a scapegoat for others wrong doings, weather you would play him against Russia or not, the point still stands when you have zero chance of a break to rest and get back to his best it’s hardly surprising and unfair on him. 

And as for the right back behind him, you just need to watch the first half of the Russia game to see how much tracking back and tackling he had to do due to SOD incompetence to do his job, he couldn’t get out of first gear. 

Both blend into a really difficult position for him, we should admire his passion to play for club and Country every single game without complaint, it’s mentally and  physically  draining. 

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

Again, go back to my first post. He’s been playing non stop and he’s completely burnt out. He’s been inconsistent for Celtic recently aswell due to it, it isn’t just Scotland. And another is he only really got into his prime when Brendan arrived. He was extremely inconsistent before which is understandable.

But again, when he played those 2 games. He wasn’t playing every game therefore James was primed and ready, there was a good balance of him playing and getting a rest where as now under Lennon he is playing every single game ( as McGregor ) is with no rest to get back to his best. I personally feel he’s getting used as a scapegoat for others wrong doings, weather you would play him against Russia or not, the point still stands when you have zero chance of a break to rest and get back to his best it’s hardly surprising and unfair on him. 

And as for the right back behind him, you just need to watch the first half of the Russia game to see how much tracking back and tackling he had to do due to SOD incompetence to do his job, he couldn’t get out of first gear. 

Both blend into a really difficult position for him, we should admire his passion to play for club and Country every single game without complaint, it’s mentally and  physically  draining. 

Rodgers was here for two years therefore Forrest had 2 good games for scotland during this time. 

Forrest not playing well for scotland in 29 of his 31 caps isn't down to burnout, it's down to him not being good enough. 

He may be suffering from burnout, I'll take your word for it but this does not excuse previous poor performances for scotland however if he is burned out it's a great reason to drop him. 

As for tracking back to cover odonnell, that's part of a wingers job. What was the excuse when he did get forward and look shite? 

You keep on admiring his passion, I'd prefer we played someone else in his position because hes not worth waiting another 20 caps for another good performance 

1 hour ago, runningtings said:

I can't believe anyone is putting O'Donnell in the team, did you not see the last 2 games?

He's nowhere near good enough.

Jack has to play RB for me, just a steadier player all round.

As I said I think Hanley will be tasked with blootering the big Russian beside Mulgrew.

Midfield 5 of McLean, McGregor, Christie, Fraser and Snoddy with McBurnie up top.

Unless McGinn is out I can't believe you are making a team without him.

You are right about O'Donnell though 

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Unless McGinn is out I can't believe you are making a team without him.

You are right about O'Donnell though 

Exactly. McGinn is our most on-form player right now. I'd be very surprised if he didn't start. 

6 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

What a lot of nonsense. 

Went missing recently??... Maybe for Celtic but he's never even turned up for Scotland until that Nations League game and since then has went missing again. Russia was a typical Forrest performance for Scotland, non existent. Now I understand if you are a bit of a Forrest fan boy if you support Celtic as he has played well for Celtic in the last few seasons, but for Scotland, christ I can literally only think of that 1 good game in his whole Scotland career! I'd love it if you could mention some more, I vaguely remember him being good on his debut many years ago now but that is it. 

5 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Went missing recently??... Maybe for Celtic but he's never even turned up for Scotland until that Nations League game and since then has went missing again. Russia was a typical Forrest performance for Scotland, non existent. Now I understand if you are a bit of a Forrest fan boy if you support Celtic as he has played well for Celtic in the last few seasons, but for Scotland, christ I can literally only think of that 1 good game in his whole Scotland career! I'd love it if you could mention some more, I vaguely remember him being good on his debut many years ago now but that is it. 

C'mon give the guy a break, he's had two good games. Albania and Israel. He's been pretty shyte in most of the other ones right enough.

Robertson has been worse than O'Donnell the past 2 games especially when he's starting at a higher level. 

Still he's a nice boy, well spoken, says all the right things.  Teflon Don despite playing very poorly.

People need to look at both full backs.

Shankland should have game time V Russia. If he only plays against San Marino then you know whats coming next. ( only does it against shiite opposition ( or is that Iran 🙂 ) .Let's face it officially there is no easier match in International competition than home against San Marino. Should be given a test in a more stringent game.

On 10/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Alan said:

Robertson has been worse than O'Donnell the past 2 games especially when he's starting at a higher level. 

Still he's a nice boy, well spoken, says all the right things.  Teflon Don despite playing very poorly.

People need to look at both full backs.

Lols, yeah let's take a look:

He's scored 20% of our goals in this campaign, is possibly the best left back in the world right now, is definitely the best Scottish player in the last decade, and people are confused as to why he appears to be better when playing for Liverpool where he has Mane, Salah, and Firmino to pass to. 

There. Looks all done. This one's been put to bed. 

In my opinion there is no point in stumbling on with players not in form for us such as O'Donnell without looking at other options there. Players should not be keeping their place if they are not playing well. Look at other options in matches where the results are not going to impact on our qualifying chances and by the time the play-offs are here we may have found better options across the pitch strengthening our chances instead of stumbling on through mediocrity.