John McGinn - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John McGinn

SkyBlueScot

Can't see an actual thread for McGinn but I think he needs one based on his performances in the EPL.

This was from today's Guardian,

McGinn on the rise with Villa

On current form there are, at a rough count, at least three teams from the established “top six” that could benefit from the services of John McGinn. With the exception of Kevin De Bruyne it is hard to find a midfielder in better form and he certainly deserved to be on the winning side here, when Aston Villa were eventually pegged back by Burnley. “He’s been consistently good in all our performances and consistently looks like he’s going to score goals,” said McGinn’s manager, Dean Smith, after he volleyed in Villa’s second having earlier had a strike ruled out by VAR. “He’s an all-action player, gets into the opposition box, scores goals, wins free-kicks.” McGinn has an unorthodox running style but seems to cover every blade of grass while offering a constant creative threat: his rise has been quite something and the list of admirers will surely be growing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/sep/30/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-weekend-action

Mcginn had a game for Scotland against Russia that seemed emblematic of the performance of the team as a whole; started brilliantly and faded badly. He's unquestionably an excellent talent and if he continues to improve (and stops giving the ball away so much in the Dark Blue) then he's going to be a mainstay. 

Clarke clearly rates him. He didn't play Forrest or Fraser against Belgium either but I think it's fairly clear they three are viewed as starting 11 players by the current set-up. It's all about getting the balance right in the midfield, of course. Whomever plays alongside Mcginn needs to be strong in the areas he isn't as much, which is passing range and, arguably, ball retention. No player plays in a vacuum, for club or for country. 

The whole thing is a bit perplexing. The whole of English football have decided he's the next best thing, touting him for a big move, which would make you believe we have a superstar in our hands. Scoring goals away to spurs and arsenal, motm at the weekend and another goal. Apparently had 100% pass completion v arsenal which i could not believe, having been less than impressed with that aspect of his game. 

Yet I'd say his rise to prominence in England his met with cynicism up here. I think there were signs v Russia he was improving initially until the collapse but the jury remains out. Surely to fk Clarke can get the best out the lad.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Yet I'd say his rise to prominence in England his met with cynicism up here...the jury remains out. 

Amongst who? The jury certainly ain't out with me - they guy is a class player. Look back at match reports for his first few Scotland games - McGinn was MOTM for a couple. 

The problem is, as with most of our quality Scottish players, is that the manager, and I include Clarke in this, do not have a clue how to build a team around them and utilise their strengths. 

5 hours ago, JECK said:

The whole thing is a bit perplexing. The whole of English football have decided he's the next best thing, touting him for a big move, which would make you believe we have a superstar in our hands. Scoring goals away to spurs and arsenal, motm at the weekend and another goal. Apparently had 100% pass completion v arsenal which i could not believe, having been less than impressed with that aspect of his game. 

Yet I'd say his rise to prominence in England his met with cynicism up here. I think there were signs v Russia he was improving initially until the collapse but the jury remains out. Surely to fk Clarke can get the best out the lad.

Didn't believe the pass stats so checked it. 

Appears he did have 100% pass success rate against Arsenal.

With out wishing to bore you he only made 18 passes which is very low for a player in his position.

He did have 5 dribbles and 6 shots at goal which was the most for both by any player in the game. In fact it's a lot for any player in any game.

Would appear he has found out how to eradicate bad passes-don't pass.

I said it a couple of posts before you did in the Scottish players in action thread, it really is up to Clarke to sort it.

Play him further up the pitch perhaps ?

I wish someone would have a word with him and stop him playing those heart stopping, horror passes he frequently makes near our own box and stop this obsession he has with trying to take players on and beat them - which nine times out of ten he fails to do.

There is a good player there. He has to know his limits however, he can't do everything.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

9 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Mcginn had a game for Scotland against Russia that seemed emblematic of the performance of the team as a whole; started brilliantly and faded badly. He's unquestionably an excellent talent and if he continues to improve (and stops giving the ball away so much in the Dark Blue) then he's going to be a mainstay. 

Clarke clearly rates him. He didn't play Forrest or Fraser against Belgium either but I think it's fairly clear they three are viewed as starting 11 players by the current set-up. It's all about getting the balance right in the midfield, of course. Whomever plays alongside Mcginn needs to be strong in the areas he isn't as much, which is passing range and, arguably, ball retention. No player plays in a vacuum, for club or for country. 

I've said before you should play him and McTominay as the pivot infront of the back 4. Seems to be the perception on here that he plays number 10 for us, he dosen't. It seems he does with his ridiculous energy and workrate but he's a proper box to box midfielder with superb timing to get on end of things in the box.

I personally think with way he's started for Fulham again this season Cairney should get the chance in number 10 position. Armstrong would be another contender if he could actually get a game at Southampton. Christie aswell of course with his goalscoring in last six months.

Never got the McGregor hype really and unless he decides to head south in next year it's difficult to justify him continuing to be automatic pick imo.

It's truly alarming how many Scotland fans decide a player isn't that good because he "fails to perform in the dark blue". 

It's really simple. Players don't lose their ability depending on which jersey they are wearing. So what are the variables. There's formation, tactics, desire, passion (most of this falls under management), and there's the ability of the other players around them. 

Now I know that some of our players are not great in an international context, but I won't hear it that we don't have a solid group of very able players, so it's down to the management to get the best out of them. The raw materials are there to build a decent team.

Simply put, McGinn, Robbo, Fraser, McTominay etc don't play better for their clubs than for Scotland in isolation, their entire team plays better. 

I think a big problem has been finding a role that best compliments his abilities. He seems to have played a lot for us as a sitting midfield player but he doesn’t have the discipline to play that role. He wants to run about and his role for Aston Villa is to be a midfielder that bursts beyond the striker. I think he’d do better in this role for Scotland with a more disciplined midfielder protecting behind him.

A number of the folk on social media who write for The Athletic were saying during the Man United game last night effectively the same thing "how can Scotland have a midfield that boasts McTormany, McGinn and Farser, and struggle the way they do?", so is certainly rated within English football.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

A number of the folk on social media who write for The Athletic were saying during the Man United game last night effectively the same thing "how can Scotland have a midfield that boasts McTormany, McGinn and Farser, and struggle the way they do?", so is certainly rated within English football.

We do have some talents in midfield but have they not seen who we have in defence and attack? :lol:

John McGinn seems to have taken to the EPL like a duck to water, which is great to see. I hope Clarke can harness his talents properly for the national team and he doesn't become another Scottish player who's great at club level but ultimately disappointing for Scotland.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

There's so much negativity on here and rightly so but I honestly believe that nations like Iceland and ni would love to have a squad that we do. It's mostly down to mismanagement that we can't replicate the success of those two countries.