Shankland Call Up? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Shankland Call Up?

Guest ElChris04

Should Shankland be Called Up For The Next Set Of Games?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one :

• Aye, Worth The Punt Now
    • Naw, Not Convinced

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Has Clarke done a press conference about his squad yet? I'd be interested to know what he has said about missing players.

Griffiths is fit enough.for the scotland bench but not the Scotland bench, why?

Has fletcher definitely retired?

Tierney has played for arsenal, why is he fit enough to play for arsenal but not scotland, I'd have Tierney at RB for these matches.

I'm worried that Clarke has called up devlin, it tells me he hasn't watched devlin recently because devlin has been dog piss lately.

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Is Shankland good enough? No probably not. 
But I’d rather give him a go that try Ollie McFud etc. Yes he only plays against Championship teams, but going on recent performances of players with caps, can he really be any worse? I’d say no. 
Who knows, he might actually be decent, and the players who don’t want called up won’t be needed again. 

Exactly this. I can understand why people might be against it. But the bigger picture is it really isn’t a huge deal. I have little Faith in McBurnie. And we’re playing San Marino. Shankland is doing everything he can at club level and is on fine form. So I see no problem. Yes the league is questionable but it certainly isn’t as bad as any lowland league with some comparisons that have been made.

is Shankland good enough at this level? Time will tell but if he is then he has a chance to prove that in what now is meaningless games.

Edited by ElChris04

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I honestly wonder at the abuse McBurnie gets, he scored a hatful in the English championship... If he played in our Championship or Premiership he'd be scoring for fun, week in, week out

I think it's just a couple of idiots.Don't worry though everything will be sorted once Shankland scores 4 against San Marino.

If it wasn't for Forrest's freakish run who has scored goals for us.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Who is our most natural defensive midfielder in the squad? As Dark Knight says, McTom is more of a box-to-box type. Ryan Jack could do the role but is more effective attacking. Fleck is just another left footer and we have a surfeit of those.

Kenny Mclean plays as a defensive midfielder.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we have a team with representation from Chelsea, Man Utd, Aston Villa, Arsenal, and Liverpool plus another 5 EPL teams, I think we ought to be at a championship, don’t you? 

Don't know if it's Scottish football fans but the attitude seems to be you are as only as good as your weakest link.

Our weakest links are very very weak.

Probably end up with Robertson winning 3 EPL titles and four Champions league medals but never playing at a major final because we went 10 years with out a right back

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Has Clarke done a press conference about his squad yet? I'd be interested to know what he has said about missing players.

Griffiths is fit enough.for the scotland bench but not the Scotland bench, why?

Has fletcher definitely retired?

Tierney has played for arsenal, why is he fit enough to play for arsenal but not scotland, I'd have Tierney at RB for these matches.

I'm worried that Clarke has called up devlin, it tells me he hasn't watched devlin recently because devlin has been dog piss lately.

Tierney/Arsenal asked that he shouldn't be included in the squad.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Commitment from the player and back bone from our manager. Excellent 🙄

75 mins of first team football, in a low key cup game, since start of May is nowhere near enough to be considered for an international double header. He wasn’t fit enough to even be named on the bench last night. Don’t let that get in the way of your conspiracy theory though ehh?

35 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

75 mins of first team football, in a low key cup game, since start of May is nowhere near enough to be considered for an international double header. He wasn’t fit enough to even be named on the bench last night. Don’t let that get in the way of your conspiracy theory though ehh?

Has Greg Taylor played in the last couple of months? 

56 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

There is no conspiracy theory. I didnt insinuate there was one. 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why's Phillips not in the squad?

Better than Forrest and Russell in their positions, 

Going in for a operation over international break according to reports (played for WBA and was subbed after an hour)

27 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

So why are you questioning the commitment of one of our better players? You think 75 mins of first team football since May is enough to warrant a place in the squad? 

can you confirm 100% that Tierney is 100% committed to scotland? no you can't so I can question his commitment and Clarke's back bone. I can't confirm his lack of commitment either but I find it strange a player can manage 75 minutes for a club like Arsenal but he can't go out with our squad.

Am I not allowed to question this? should I just accept whatever Arsenal and Clarke say?

He played 75 minutes, that means he is not injured. We've had players called up who haven't been playing much beffoe, remember Alan Hutton? Greg Taylor is in the squad - he has hardly played if at all. armstrong was constantly called up but barely makes the bench for southampton.

I know you are a fan of Tienry because he played for Celtic and believe me I am a fan and I want him in the team but that doesn't mean his commitment shouldn't be questioned just like any other player

I have heard Clarke say Arsenal asked for him not to be included, I think Clarke and every other manager needs to be much tougher with clubs when it comes to our players. 

1 hour ago, infamous said:

Insane season he is having... but it is hard to judge, it is effectively a farm league. Throw him on against San Marino imo.

Throwing him on against San Marino won't tell us anything, San Marino are pish, the worst team on the international scene. Why should he be offered the chance to get his first international goals instead of McBurnie who received next to zero service against Russia? 

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Throwing him on against San Marino won't tell us anything, San Marino are pish, the worst team on the international scene. Why should he be offered the chance to get his first international goals instead of McBurnie who received next to zero service against Russia? 

Give them a half each. A couple of goals for both of them would be good.

Just now, Orraloon said:

Give them a half each. A couple of goals for both of them would be good.

Not a bad idea, I've no issue with Shankland playing against San Marino but I just feel it would be harsh on the likes of Mcburnie.

Against Russia, it probably doesn't matter who start upfront because they won;t see much of the ball anyway

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Not a bad idea, I've no issue with Shankland playing against San Marino but I just feel it would be harsh on the likes of Mcburnie.

Against Russia, it probably doesn't matter who start upfront because they won;t see much of the ball anyway

Or, we could be revolutionary and try playing them both at the same time?