The Official Lawrence Shankland Thread - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Official Lawrence Shankland Thread

32 minutes ago, Debian said:

Why wasn't Kenny Deuchar capped then?

Because we had some decent strikers at that point that were all better than him ?

To clarify, I never started this thread saying Shankland should be capped, it was a light hearted post on the back of the first bit of good news at United in years. However, since it was suggested that he could or should be considered, I’m of the opinion that we would be stupid to right anyone off based on what club they play for or what league they are in. Given the current shite state of affairs. Countries higher in the rankings than us certainly don’t take such a blinkered view as they can’t afford to.

As a United fan, part of me hopes Shankland is left well alone. Knowing our luck he’d get called up for a 5 minute cameo against Iraq or some shit and break his leg

Edited by Jim Beem

15 hours ago, McTeeko said:

If Steve Bull can get capped while with Wolves in the bottom two tiers of English football (13 caps, 4 goals) then don’t see why Shankland can’t get called up by us. 15 goals before October. Aye, Championship player maybe but that’s only because everyone else was too daft to take a chance on him in the summer. 

It’s no as if we’re bursting at the seams with goalscorers.

Steve Bull scored 1 competitive international goal for fuck sake.

37 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

And?? He had to get the initial call up first, before getting that goal. He also played four games at a World Cup.

And? He scored one goal at a competitive level, that tells you exactly why he wasn't good enough at international level and you're using him as a yard stick for Shankland? Gie us peace.

This is where I wish we still played B internationals. The lad clearly knows where the goal is and it wouldn't hurt for our coaching team to take a serious look at him to see if he could do a job for us. Playing a B international (even if it was limited to just Scottish based players) would allow for a better comparison between him and players like McNulty and Brophy - both of whom have actually been called up for the national team (same for players in other positions).

16 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

This is where I wish we still played B internationals. The lad clearly knows where the goal is and it wouldn't hurt for our coaching team to take a serious look at him to see if he could do a job for us. Playing a B international (even if it was limited to just Scottish based players) would allow for a better comparison between him and players like McNulty and Brophy - both of whom have actually been called up for the national team (same for players in other positions).

I've said it umpteen times before but we really should play an unofficial international every two or three years.

It could be against Catalonia or Corsica or we could reach an agreement with for example the FAW for a "Scotland XI" vs "Wales XI" to be played at Tannadice or the Racecourse Ground. No ranking points will be at stake and no caps awarded.

39 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Or Stevie May for that matter. He was on fire in the lower leagues. Look at how people see him now after taking a step up. 

Stevie may was brilliant in the SPFL before his injury. The season st johnstone won the cup, he was unplayable. Hes never been the same player since the knee injury he got at Preston. 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Stevie may was brilliant in the SPFL before his injury. The season st johnstone won the cup, he was unplayable. Hes never been the same player since the knee injury he got at Preston. 

The season you are referring to he was in the top flight though. I’m equating Shankland in the lower leagues to May at Saints. Both played the level below. I never heard anyone screaming for May to be capped in the second tier. 

11 minutes ago, WCTA said:

The season you are referring to he was in the top flight though. I’m equating Shankland in the lower leagues to May at Saints. Both played the level below. I never heard anyone screaming for May to be capped in the second tier. 

Ah, fair enough mate

1 hour ago, WCTA said:

Or Stevie May for that matter. He was on fire in the lower leagues. Look at how people see him now after taking a step up. 

If Stevie May was called up during his purple patch season I wouldn’t have had a problem with that. Not sure what you are saying ? Two wrongs DO make a right ? 😃

I’ve no idea why he has been utterly pish since then though 🤷‍♂️ 

Just now, Jim Beem said:

If Stevie May was called up during his purple patch season I wouldn’t have had a problem with that. Not sure what you are saying ? Two wrongs DO make a right ? 😃

I’ve no idea why he has been utterly pish since then though 🤷‍♂️ 

Read Vanderark’s part about his injury?

At the risk of repeating myself, this was not started as a ‘cap Lawrence Shankland’  thread but I’d like to address this point, mostly by Aberdeen fans, that he ‘failed at the top level’ ‘ couldnt cut it etc’ 

He only played 17 odd games at the ‘top flight’ as an 18 or 19 year old. Maybe he was badly managed ? 😂

The guy is still young, worked hard after a set back as a teenager and is banging them in. 

👍

Just now, WCTA said:

He wasn’t pish at all before Preston. 🤷‍♂️

Fair enough. I thought he bombed pretty much immediately after he left Saints. 

Would never knock a player over a bad injury. Only he and his medical team will know for sure if they have or ever would make a full recovery