The Centre Backs... Solution? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Centre Backs... Solution?

GaryWood34

I think we may have to wait a few years to see any real top quality centre backs come through. McKenna, Souttar, Porteous and maybe even Tierney will probably occupy CB positions going forward. McIntyre highly thought of too.

Leon King, Liam Morrison and there is a boy called Jamie Hamilton at Hamilton too.....but they are all around 17/18 years old and won’t be on the first team scene for another few years.

Im pretty sure picking up one of the worst defensive lines in the Premiership and dropping them into the national squad is not the solution

I get the theory - we saw the benefits of playing most of the celtic team towards the end of the strachan era. However, the difference here is that the hearts players in question are pretty shite. 

On 9/27/2019 at 6:34 PM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

If players from Hearts are to be considered, why not the 'Well's Gallagher?

Boys on great form, playing in a team that have been playing well.

I think bemoaning the loss of Hearts and Aberdeen players, but discounting Gallagher seems unfair.

He’s not Colin Hendry or Alex Mcleish, but unfortunately the bar is now Devlin, Berra and Mulgrew.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Liam Cooper our, Stuart Findlay in.

So we have Mulgrew, Devlin, Hanley and Findlay.

Got to assume Mulgrew will play.
Got to assume Findlay won't given he was 5th choice of those initially available.

Of the two, Hanley's been sat on the bench for a month, while Devlin's played every minute of Aberdeen's last 5 games.

So looks like Devlin and Mulgrew to me.

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

So we have Mulgrew, Devlin, Hanley and Findlay.

Got to assume Mulgrew will play.
Got to assume Findlay won't given he was 5th choice of those initially available.

Of the two, Hanley's been sat on the bench for a month, while Devlin's played every minute of Aberdeen's last 5 games.

So looks like Devlin and Mulgrew to me.

Devlin may have been on the park for Aberdeen but saying he played football isn't what I would call it.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Devlin may have been on the park for Aberdeen but saying he played football isn't what I would call it.

We've all see how Hanley plays for Scotland when he's not playing week in and week out for his club.. I'd rather gamble on a seemingly out of sorts Devlin than go back to that.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Who’s been in jail!? 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gallagher spent a short time in jail several years ago..

Obviously I’ve got my Motherwell blinkers on here, but that’s the best reason I can think to leave him out in favour of guys he’s out performing at his level like Findlay and Devlin (Halkett, Souttar and arguably McKenna)

His stats back up how good he’s been.

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Obviously I’ve got my Motherwell blinkers on here, but that’s the best reason I can think to leave him out in favour of guys he’s out performing at his level like Findlay and Devlin (Halkett, Souttar and arguably McKenna)

I was only confirming that Gallagher had indeed done a bit of time.

I wasn't judging him or saying he should be never be considered because of it. He was a stupid young laddie who made a mistake a number of years ago but has now paid for it.

Ian Wrighty Wright Wright and Professor John Hartson both got locked up when they were young but it didn't stop them having international careers.

If Gallagher was ever called up it wouldn't bother me.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

25 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Findlay is an outstanding centre back. 

If i had to back one player at killie (from the last 3 years) to make it to the top level then it would be him. I include greg Taylor, jones, brophy etc in that comparison. 

I know nothing about gallagher so can't compare. 

I'm a 'Well fan too but Gallagher got a three year sentence for smashing in someone's skull with a baseball bat, it wasn't an unpaid parking ticket infraction or something, quite a big deal. Apparently our players are too nice though so maybe a bit of wanton GBH is what's needed to fire them up.

13 minutes ago, mcnish said:

I'm a 'Well fan too but Gallagher got a three year sentence for smashing in someone's skull with a baseball bat, it wasn't an unpaid parking ticket infraction or something, quite a big deal. Apparently our players are too nice though so maybe a bit of wanton GBH is what's needed to fire them up.

He may have got a three year sentence but he only served part of it.

In any event he seems to have stayed out of trouble since then and learned his lesson.