Peru - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Peru

WCTA

Booked up again to go back in January. Loved the place so much in 2018 before the Scotland game. The last time I did Cusco and the surrounding area finishing at Machu Picchu. 

This time I’m going South to base myself at Arequipa, Peru’s second biggest city. From here I plan to do a hike to the Colca Canyon. It’s said to be twice as deep as the Grand Canyon. It’s also home to the Condor which is quite abundant I’m told in this area. The largest flying bird on Earth. 

Edited by WCTA

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, WCTA said:

Booked up again to go back in January. Loved the place so much in 2018 before the Scotland game. The last time I did Cusco and the surrounding area finishing at Machu Picchu. 

This time I’m going South to base myself at Arequipa, Peru’s second biggest city. From here I plan to do a hike to the Colca Canyon. It’s said to be twice as deep as the Grand Canyon. It’s also home to the Condor which is quite abundant I’m told in this area. The largest flying bird on Earth. 

If you can be bothered extending your trip further south, we had a blast in Copacabana, which is just over the border into Bolivia. Not a big place by any means, but very good for a few chilled days.

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

If you can be bothered extending your trip further south, we had a blast in Copacabana, which is just over the border into Bolivia. Not a big place by any means, but very good for a few chilled days.

I actually looked at hopping into Bolivia for a couple of days from Arequipa. Copacabana looks pretty cool. I take it the quickest way is to cross the border in public transport from Puno in Peru? The airport in La Paz, Bolivia looks a lot further away. 

Edit: I have just read that the Peru Hop bus company go direct from Arequipa to Copacabana. 8 hour bus trip though. 

Edited by WCTA

1 hour ago, WCTA said:

I actually looked at hopping into Bolivia for a couple of days from Arequipa. Copacabana looks pretty cool. I take it the quickest way is to cross the border in public transport from Puno in Peru? The airport in La Paz, Bolivia looks a lot further away. 

Edit: I have just read that the Peru Hop bus company go direct from Arequipa to Copacabana. 8 hour bus trip though. 

Aye, I was just going to suggest the Hop busses for reliability, and to make the border crossing easy. 

La Paz is an absolutely ace city, but it's obviously a fair few miles from yer starting point. I'd suggest both places to be honest, but I suppose it depends how much time you've got on your hands.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

12 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, I was just going to suggest the Hop busses for reliability, and to make the border crossing easy. 

La Paz is an absolutely ace city, but it's obviously a fair few miles from yer starting point. I'd suggest both places to be honest, but I suppose it depends how much time you've got on your hands.

Oh and cheers for your suggestion tae. I’ve just got tae work and I cannae get Barry bloody Manilow oot o’ my heid noo. 😄

36 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

We’ve got Buenos Aires and Montevideo pencilled in for Mrs. McTeeko’s 40th in Feb 2021 👍🏼

Give you a shout to nip doon and meet us 🍻

You aren’t going to believe this. Without a word of a lie I was just saying Buenos Aires tae her in 2021. 😂🙈

I was watching Maradona videos and explaining who he was. I then went on a mad Wiki hunt and ended up reading about the Scots that gave Argentina football. The first league title was shared between Old Caledonians and St. Andrews. 

2 hour 15 min hop over on the (fast) ferry to Montevideo. Just been looking at it all the last couple of days. February week so the wee man can come too. No sure about the Argentinian fitba season schedule but a game at La Bombonera is a must!

2 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

2 hour 15 min hop over on the (fast) ferry to Montevideo. Just been looking at it all the last couple of days. February week so the wee man can come too. No sure about the Argentinian fitba season schedule but a game at La Bombonera is a must!

A lot of the S. American seasons start in Feb I think. 

• 3 weeks later...

After Arequipa area I am going up North to Iquitos. Booked it now so no Titicaca for me. I really fancy floating down the upper Amazon river. I know it’ll be as humid as fuck but my Scottish peelywallyness is getting used to brutal humidity now as I have to work in it each year. 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...