cotland to face England at Wembley if they reach Euro 2020 finals - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

cotland to face England at Wembley if they reach Euro 2020 finals

rOsCo2

They updated the document yesterday.

As Us and England were always "hosts" and our two stadiums made up one pot, if we both qualified we would always be paired, it was just a case of a draw would take place at a later date to see if Scotland v England would be at Hampden or Wembley (we were always going to have 2 games at Hampden and 1 at Wembley anyway should we qualify).

UEFA have basically just made this issue more official now that the team who qualifies through the group stages rather than the NL gets preferred treatment.

Edited by wanderer

Thanks guys. I just assumed that the draw would be made when all the teams had qualified so it would have been a 50:50 on Wembley or Hampden should we be in the mix. Still don't understand why they will get three home games though? I have tickets for the three group games at Hampden and had just assumed that one of them would be England, whether Scotland qualified or not.

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What kinda allocation would we expect?

Standard away allocation (5%?) as its a UEFA game and they will be the "hosts", so would not be a case of the SFA and FA coming to a deal over ticket numbers.

Edited by wanderer

34 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Standard away allocation (5%?) as its a UEFA game and they will be the "hosts", so would not be a case of the SFA and FA coming to a deal over ticket numbers.

We would get more than 5% I think. It's not a normal game in that the English FA would not have 95% of the tickets to sell to their fans. UEFA will be (and have been) selling tickets and will give a percentage to the respective FAs to sell.

Around 20% of the tickets will be split between the two associations to distribute among their fans so I reckon we'll get around 9000 (not including the tickets that Scotland fans may already have bought for that game).

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

It's not an away game though, it's a group game at a tournament.

While its not an away game per se, it would still fall under UEFA's away tickets criteria, and as neither the Scottish FA or English FA are the "host" of the game, UEFA are the one's that are hosting it, so both teams would get a standard away allocation (in recent years this has been somewhat up in the air as the old 10% for FIFA and 5% for UEFA games has not been as clear cut as that), but we would certainly get a minimum of 5% allocation (which the English FA would also receive, and its their own stadium.... same case for us at games at Hampden).

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We would get more than 5% I think. It's not a normal game in that the English FA would not have 95% of the tickets to sell to their fans. UEFA will be (and have been) selling tickets and will give a percentage to the respective FAs to sell.

Around 20% of the tickets will be split between the two associations to distribute among their fans so I reckon we'll get around 9000 (not including the tickets that Scotland fans may already have bought for that game).

I do not think it will be as much as 20%.... how often when these tournaments come around do you get the stories in the press of the England only receiving (for example) 2,000 tickets for a 70,000 seater stadium (even though fans are able to buy through UEFA for this game).

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

While its not an away game per se, it would still fall under UEFA's away tickets criteria, and as neither the Scottish FA or English FA are the "host" of the game, UEFA are the one's that are hosting it, so both teams would get a standard away allocation (in recent years this has been somewhat up in the air as the old 10% for FIFA and 5% for UEFA games has not been as clear cut as that), but we would certainly get a minimum of 5% allocation (which the English FA would also receive, and its their own stadium.... same case for us at games at Hampden).

Give me an example of a group game at a previous Euros where either side got 5%?

No chance we'll get that little. I think Texas it correct and we'll get around 10,000.

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Give me an example of a group game at a previous Euros where either side got 5%?

No chance we'll get that little. I think Texas it correct and we'll get around 10,000.

No idea, as we have not qualified for the Euros since 1996 and never really looked into other nations.....

Only example I can give is the Brazil in 1998 where the Scottish FA only got something 3,000 tickets (and I have my doubts its was as much as that) for a 80,000 stadium.

Probably get somewhere between 5 and 10% (4-6k for the two games at Hampden, and probably 7-9k for Wembley, but certainly not 20%).

Edited by wanderer

17 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Never?

Well its a favorite of the English press (The Sun and Star especially.... says it all!) and Talksport build up to the last few tournaments as an excuse to stick the boot into FIFA and UEFA that fans are missing out, even though when they get to the games the stadium is probably full with them over the opposition.

Edited by wanderer

40 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Just asked a friend in the English version of the SSC, and said that for Euro 2012 it was 8% and for Euro 2016 there was a figure of 16% that UEFA liked to pull out when questioned about tickets for fans, but it certainly was not the case for all 3 games that being the fixed figure (Russia and Slovakia was around the 10% mark, while 16% was maybe true for the Wales game,)  

Edited by wanderer

Your friend is talking shite, they got 11,000 for the Russia game but less vs Wales as it was a smaller ground.

Still got around 15% for both games.

As I said, there is zero chance we're getting 5% for Wembley!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-fans-handed-11000-tickets-7129884

Edited by Squirrelhumper

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

I do not think it will be as much as 20%.... how often when these tournaments come around do you get the stories in the press of the England only receiving (for example) 2,000 tickets for a 70,000 seater stadium (even though fans are able to buy through UEFA for this game).

It is though. It’s not my opinion, it’s what UEFA have stated. 

The number of tickets allocated to the FAs for all games will be around 20%. The lowest is 17% for St Petersburg (not sure why this is lower). 

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

No idea, as we have not qualified for the Euros since 1996 and never really looked into other nations.....

Only example I can give is the Brazil in 1998 where the Scottish FA only got something 3,000 tickets (and I have my doubts its was as much as that) for a 80,000 stadium.

Probably get somewhere between 5 and 10% (4-6k for the two games at Hampden, and probably 7-9k for Wembley, but certainly not 20%).

The SFA allocation for Brazil in 1998 was 5,380 from an 80,000 capacity. 

For Wembley in '96 we got 8,270 of the 76,000 tickets printed.

20 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

The SFA allocation for Brazil in 1998 was 5,380 from an 80,000 capacity. 

For Wembley in '96 we got 8,270 of the 76,000 tickets printed.

Those examples are a bit out of date although I appreciate that you sadly couldn’t provide a more recent example for Scotland matches at a major tournament. 

I’m sure UEFA (it might have been FIFA) announced they were increasing the number of tickets that would be available to FAs to distribute to their fans due to feedback received and half filled sections at som events. 

The SSC will get around 10% of the capacity of both Hampden and Wembley should Scotland qualify. There will be far more Scots at the matches though due to the public sale.