Russia faces ban from all major sports events - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia faces ban from all major sports events

bigphil25

According to the attached link Russia may face ban from all major sports events. States that "Russia now faces the prospect of being excluded from many other events, including next year's Olympics in Tokyo and football's 2022 World Cup." so presumably may be booted out of the euros. Still would have to finish 3rd though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/49805296

9 minutes ago, infamous said:

Doubt this would affect their football. Russian athletes (especially footballers) are the most tested athletes in the World. Dzyuba said he was tested 3 times a day at the World Cup.

It might never happen but according to the article the Russian testing authorities have deleted lab results. Doesn’t matter how many tests they take. 

It’s likely footballers dope and even more likely Russian footballers dope. 

But yeah I think it’s unlikely they’ll be banned. 

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I believe this to be Athletic ban, and any mention of football has to be conjecture. Would it be great if 3rd place in our group was given the spot to the euros,  you bet but I dont get your hope's up.

No it would be all sports that comply to WADA testing. Unless they appeal on a sport by sport basis after they are banned. 

Russian athletes in athletics can’t compete for Russia because the IAAF have decided to ban them separately. 

3 hours ago, infamous said:

Doubt this would affect their football. Russian athletes (especially footballers) are the most tested athletes in the World. Dzyuba said he was tested 3 times a day at the World Cup.

Lol, I just imagine them checking him and being like "How is he cheating us like this?! It's obvious he's on the roids! Let's test him again...oh wait. What's in this brown envelope?" 

5 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

It might never happen but according to the article the Russian testing authorities have deleted lab results. Doesn’t matter how many tests they take. 

It’s likely footballers dope and even more likely Russian footballers dope. 

But yeah I think it’s unlikely they’ll be banned. 

Russian players are tested by UEFA and FIFA lol. They don't dope, if they doped Russia would be a lot better at football than they are. They are generally a top sport country in most fields.  They would be a lot better if they doped lol. Lucky for them we are so trash at football that we need to hope they dope lol.

Anyway, CAS overturned a lot of the decisions WADA made and reinstated Russia's gold medals from the 2014 Olympics (Where this all started). The guy who revealed Russian doping barely said anything about football. 

1 hour ago, infamous said:

Russian players are tested by UEFA and FIFA lol. They don't dope, if they doped Russia would be a lot better at football than they are. They are generally a top sport country in most fields.  They would be a lot better if they doped lol. Lucky for them we are so trash at football that we need to hope they dope lol.

Anyway, CAS overturned a lot of the decisions WADA made and reinstated Russia's gold medals from the 2014 Olympics (Where this all started). The guy who revealed Russian doping barely said anything about football. 

The difference being football is not just about physical fitness, doping will not improve your ability to see a pass or score a 1v1.

8 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I believe this to be Athletic ban, and any mention of football has to be conjecture. Would it be great if 3rd place in our group was given the spot to the euros,  you bet but I dont get your hope's up.

This sums up the end of the discussion really. 0% chance of it affecting their Euro 2020 position. Anything beyond the sphere of wider athletics (e.g the Olympics) is pish paper talk and clickbait 

51 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Salazar banned for 4 years...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/49882757

Just thought I'd quote this here.

Any of the same prick journalists calling for the banning of all Russian sportspeople raising any questions about Farah whose ex coach is a doping fiend... but of course being 'British' he is immune from any possible thoughts he is a cheating cunt. The nauseating double standards are beyond belief. I bet the BBC will still be crawling up his arse at every single opportunity.

Edited by thplinth

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Just thought I'd quote this here.

Any of the same prick journalists calling for the banning of all Russian sportspeople raising any questions about Farah whose ex coach is a doping fiend... but of course being 'British' he is immune from any possible thoughts he is a cheating cunt. The nauseating double standards are beyond belief. I bet the BBC will still be crawling up his arse at every single opportunity.

Here, here Plithy and well said.