What happens on 24th September again - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What happens on 24th September again

bonny78

Its only the UEFA Executive Committee meeting tomorrow, where they will confirm how the Nations League will be integrated into the World Cup Qualifiers, actual draw not for a while yet.

Nations League draw is not until January/February, so imagine World Cup draw will be held off until next year also.

Talk UEFA are going to confirm an expansion of Pool A (with the 4 "relegated" teams not losing their place) and the 4 group winners making up the remainder of UEFA's 13 representatives at the World Cup.

Looks like Germany, Poland, Iceland and Croatia will not be in Pool B after all then, and teams from Pool B who got promoted, will still go up, with Poll A expanded from 12 to 16 teams (basically to save Germany most people are pointing out).

Edited by wanderer

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Looks like Germany, Poland, Iceland and Croatia will not be in Pool B after all then, and teams from Pool B who got promoted, will still go up, with Poll A expanded from 12 to 16 teams (basically to save Germany most people are pointing out).

Will that not make hardly any teams in Pool B next time round ? 

From what I can gather, Pool B will be made up mainly of what made up the poll c teams and the mid table teams from current Pool B.

Look like it will resemble something like this....

Pot 1 - Russia, Czech Rep, Austria and Wales

pot 2 - Slovakia, Turkey, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland 

Pot 3 - Scotland

Pot 4 - Israel, Bulgaria and Hungary.

Seems a bit unfair that 4 World Cup places will be given to League A exclusively without any playoff. Qualifying for 2022 was going to a big ask anyway but if it is going to be group winners only then we have no chance, even a good campaign finishing second won’t be good enough.

No suggest

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

No mention there of any  world cup places up for grabs and if there was would they let Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta or San Marino go as group 4 winners

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No suggest

No mention there of any  world cup places up for grabs and if there was would they let Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta or San Marino go as group 4 winners

Will they be allowing a League D team a place in any future Euros via play offs?  If so then getting relegated to League D might be good idea.

2 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Seems a bit unfair that 4 World Cup places will be given to League A exclusively without any playoff. Qualifying for 2022 was going to a big ask anyway but if it is going to be group winners only then we have no chance, even a good campaign finishing second won’t be good enough.

Surely will be some play offs?

I agree though pretty much near impossible to make a WC nowadays, half the places on offer you get for euros (won't be that many more for 48 team WC for europe) and Scotland doing everything not to make Euro 2020.

From what i originally gathered the system was
1) First place in qualifying group -> WC (10 Teams)
2) Second place in WC Qualifying group -> Playoff (10 Teams)
3) Teams that had the highest two rankings in Nations league and did not make the play offs -> Play off (2 Teams)
They would then combine 2 and 3 to have 12 Play off teams, then similair to the playoffs for Euro 2020 teams will be broken into 3 brackets of 4 with the winner of each bracket going to the World Cup.

Is that how it will stay?

6 hours ago, infamous said:

From what i originally gathered the system was
1) First place in qualifying group -> WC (10 Teams)
2) Second place in WC Qualifying group -> Playoff (10 Teams)
3) Teams that had the highest two rankings in Nations league and did not make the play offs -> Play off (2 Teams)
They would then combine 2 and 3 to have 12 Play off teams, then similair to the playoffs for Euro 2020 teams will be broken into 3 brackets of 4 with the winner of each bracket going to the World Cup.

Is that how it will stay?

UEFA only gets 13 places?

I think UEFA were banking on FIFA's talk of WC expansion, but it has not came to be and they have no real idea how to combine the two.

9 Group winners, with 8 best runners up making the play off's the current system, so not a lot of room there for allowing 4 Nations League winners slipping in (granted winners of league A and B will most likely qualify or be in play off's.... unless someone has a period in group A like the Dutch over the last few years). 

For a couple of minutes I thought we'd been drawn against Wales, N.Ireland & Bulgaria for the 20/21 Nations League 😁

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/competitions/UNL/02/62/52/95/2625295_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Says it's just "an illustration", but is it who we'd get based on current UEFA ranking?   Are we 21st?

13 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

For a couple of minutes I thought we'd been drawn against Wales, N.Ireland & Bulgaria for the 20/21 Nations League 😁

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/competitions/UNL/02/62/52/95/2625295_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Says it's just "an illustration", but is it who we'd get based on current UEFA ranking?   Are we 21st?

Future NL draws are based on previous tournament (UEFA co-effiecent was only used for the first one) so pots and seedings are pretty much locked down now.

Few folk thought the table UEFA released last night was the actual draw, as had someone text me last night asking "will we be effected same way the Welsh fans are for the Slovakia match?" 😂

Edited by wanderer

18 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Will that not make hardly any teams in Pool B next time round ? 

Looks like runners up from our league C have been promoted as well as us.   See link in my previous post.

We could face the likes of Israel again instead of say Germany.   Could still get Russia though 😧