This global climate strike - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This global climate strike

Another one for thplinth in the long term prediction thread, annoyingly i can't find the original thread as for reasons unknown the archive was not maintained as i thought it would be and I can't accesss it through my normal means. I remember a lot of folk giving him the same treatment as he has now, and possibly the same folk, it's hard to tell without going back to the original thread.

fukushima and dumping waste into the Pacific.

"The operator of the ruined Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant will have to dump huge quantities of contaminated water from the site directly into the Pacific Ocean, Japan’s environment minister has said – a move that would enrage local fishermen."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/10/fukushima-japan-will-have-to-dump-radioactive-water-into-pacific-minister-says

On 10/5/2019 at 6:40 PM, phart said:

Another one for thplinth in the long term prediction thread, annoyingly i can't find the original thread as for reasons unknown the archive was not maintained as i thought it would be and I can't accesss it through my normal means. I remember a lot of folk giving him the same treatment as he has now, and possibly the same folk, it's hard to tell without going back to the original thread.

"The operator of the ruined Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant will have to dump huge quantities of contaminated water from the site directly into the Pacific Ocean, Japan’s environment minister has said – a move that would enrage local fishermen."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/10/fukushima-japan-will-have-to-dump-radioactive-water-into-pacific-minister-says

Yeah, lets have more thplinth., the TAMB's resident seer.

6 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

+2 mins still shit.   There is a thing where right wing stuff isn't funny, wher'as is left wing stuff is generally funny, pound for pound. Is it not something to do with comedy being about the underdog.

Left wing comedy is the underdog? 

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Left wing comedy is the underdog? 

Minchin volunteered the opinion that “comedy is often a short career because you get to a point where you are no longer a small thing punching up at targets, you are the big thing, and it’s hard to write from that position.”

I find that a provocative point of view, which says a lot about Minchin and plenty about comedy too. Perhaps more than for any other artist, the onset of fame and acclaim is complicated for the comedian. Since the Greeks – for whom tragedy was the domain of the illustrious – comedy has traditionally been the preserve of the underdog. It’s an oppositional art form, best practised from the outside of the tent, pissing in – not the other way around.

25 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Minchin volunteered the opinion that “comedy is often a short career because you get to a point where you are no longer a small thing punching up at targets, you are the big thing, and it’s hard to write from that position.”

I find that a provocative point of view, which says a lot about Minchin and plenty about comedy too. Perhaps more than for any other artist, the onset of fame and acclaim is complicated for the comedian. Since the Greeks – for whom tragedy was the domain of the illustrious – comedy has traditionally been the preserve of the underdog. It’s an oppositional art form, best practised from the outside of the tent, pissing in – not the other way around.

I see what he’s saying but you can always punch up if you want to. 

Also depends on the type of comedy you do and your platform. Mainstream successful comedy are the establishment and its reflected in their material, especially nowadays. 

That article is from 2014 as well, the left have won the culture war, even more now. Partly why mainstream music, film and TV is mostly awful. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

15 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That article is from 2014 as well, the left have won the culture war, even more now. Partly why mainstream music, film and TV is mostly awful. 

That's just an age thing, surely.

Norm Macdonald talks about comedy. He makes the distinction between being funny and just milking applause. Loads of comedians today just get on stage and say stuff that folk agree with, you hear folk clapping more than laughing.

On 10/5/2019 at 7:40 PM, phart said:

Over eight years ago now. And this is the best they can come up with... what a mess. Grim.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Are you saying I’m old?

Aye! :lol:

Completely agree with you though - music and films were better in the 90s (just as my parents thought that about the 60s...and their parents thought the same about the 40s... etc etc).