Dumfries - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dumfries

slasher

Dumfries is the venue for Mr & Mrs. Slasher's annual Christmas bash this year. We've booked the best Western on the edge of the town. As per any restaurant, bar or club testimonials gratefully received 👍

Are we heading back to 1980 here? 🤔

Edited by slasher

I'd say Brunos or Home are probably your two best offers for food. Brunos is Italian fare. Would check Home's Facebook page to see what has been on the menu recently to get a feel for what you'll get there.

I'm pretty sure when I first started to go out in Dumfries it had more pubs per person than anywhere in Scotland (might have been made up:lol: ) so you'll not struggle to find somewhere decent to drink.

21 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I'd say Brunos or Home are probably your two best offers for food. Brunos is Italian fare. Would check Home's Facebook page to see what has been on the menu recently to get a feel for what you'll get there.

I'm pretty sure when I first started to go out in Dumfries it had more pubs per person than anywhere in Scotland (might have been made up:lol: ) so you'll not struggle to find somewhere decent to drink.

After a wee bit of online research I had already earmarked Home as a possible. Have you eaten there? 

17 hours ago, bonzo said:

Been a few times and as Tartan McCole it's a cracking pub crawl. 

Yeah, I've heard that. Any that are especially good? 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, slasher said:

After a wee bit of online research I had already earmarked Home as a possible. Have you eaten there? 

Yeah, I've heard that. Any that are especially good? 

Aye, I've eaten there a couple of times. Both times were magic.

Bonzo is right. Coach and Horses might have some live music on. It's a good wee bar! The Globe has recently been done out and linked with the Annandale whisky distillery so if malts are your bag then that might be a shout.

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, slasher said:

Big nite oot is a week on Saturday. I'll post a full review for what it's worth, assuming I can remember much. 

Looking at Lancaster for next years jaunt if anyone knows anything of it? 

I wouldn’t say I know it well but I used to go there every so often for work up to a few years ago. It’s a nice little town. Very attractive & pretty much merges into Morecambe if you fancy seeing the sea (usually through binoculars). 

The town centre can be a godawful bottleneck at times as it’s small, fairly narrow streets but a lot of people use it (particularly from the South) as the most direct way to Morecambe. 

Can’t really help with nightlife I’m afraid though as the closest I probably ever got to a night out will have been a Subway after a late meeting. 

6 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I wouldn’t say I know it well but I used to go there every so often for work up to a few years ago. It’s a nice little town. Very attractive & pretty much merges into Morecambe if you fancy seeing the sea (usually through binoculars). 

The town centre can be a godawful bottleneck at times as it’s small, fairly narrow streets but a lot of people use it (particularly from the South) as the most direct way to Morecambe. 

Can’t really help with nightlife I’m afraid though as the closest I probably ever got to a night out will have been a Subway after a late meeting. 

Ive always fancied paying it a visit after years of driving by it on the M6. I've nothing more to go on other than it looks nice.....oh and train links from the shire are pretty decent 😂

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Completely forgot about that! The Tapas gaff across the road from Home is excellent, if that is your bag.

Apparently they are reopening at Rugmans Hall 92 Whitesands tonight? Is that a different venue? 

Well Dumfries was a good night although I wouldn't say great. 

The Cavens Arms and Bank were a hit and we briefly did Chancers for the bantz! Home was very good and the starter I had (pigs cheek) was the best I've ever had. Overall it was a decent night but compared to others we've had its down the list a bit. Thanks to all for the gen 👍