Simon Ferry podcasts - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Simon Ferry podcasts

Dalgety Bay TA

I've just started listening to these, listened to the Craig Beattie and now Peter Grant ones. The Grant one, as you would expect was very Celtic so may not appeal to everyone. However both of them had bits of Scotland interest.

Beattie only briefly touched on his (short) Scotland career. The interesting comment for me was he was doing well for Celtic, scoring and in the Scotland squad when Smith was manager assisted by McCoist and Burns. He still hadn't made his debut and we were away, in a friendly, I think he said Switzerland (?). He was named as a sub and was warming up in the second half when he saw Smith, McCoist and Burns in discussions on the touchline. McCoist then gave him the nod to come back to the bench. Beattie was chuffed thinking he is getting his first Scotland appearance. He came back to the bench and McCoist said to him "Sorry, you are the only Old Firm player in the squad, there is an Old Firm game at the weekend, we can't risk putting you on and you getting an injury and then we would get accusations of bias towards one (Rangers) side". Staggering that they felt they had to manage the national side in that manner.

Grant, for those who just want to listen to the Scotland part, is the last 14 minutes. Won't go into detail about it, its definitely worth a listen, but he gives the media a very very hard time over their approach and what he feels is an agenda towards Scotland national team as a whole. He also stated that there was a player who was offered a contract extension by his club if he gave up his Scotland career. He covers a bit about the call offs too.

Overall both are a good listen IMO. Open Goal is the name of the podcast.

Been listening to them for a while, they're generally very good.

If you can ignore a lot of the "did you have a night out?" "who were the big drinkers? "who was the best laugh?" chat, then there is some interesting stuff in there like the two examples you mention. It really shows that the majority of the players are just normal folk who happen to have a particular talent and shines a light on their attitudes to football more or less just being a job to them.

4 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I've just started listening to these, listened to the Craig Beattie and now Peter Grant ones. The Grant one, as you would expect was very Celtic so may not appeal to everyone. However both of them had bits of Scotland interest.

Beattie only briefly touched on his (short) Scotland career. The interesting comment for me was he was doing well for Celtic, scoring and in the Scotland squad when Smith was manager assisted by McCoist and Burns. He still hadn't made his debut and we were away, in a friendly, I think he said Switzerland (?). He was named as a sub and was warming up in the second half when he saw Smith, McCoist and Burns in discussions on the touchline. McCoist then gave him the nod to come back to the bench. Beattie was chuffed thinking he is getting his first Scotland appearance. He came back to the bench and McCoist said to him "Sorry, you are the only Old Firm player in the squad, there is an Old Firm game at the weekend, we can't risk putting you on and you getting an injury and then we would get accusations of bias towards one (Rangers) side". Staggering that they felt they had to manage the national side in that manner.

Grant, for those who just want to listen to the Scotland part, is the last 14 minutes. Won't go into detail about it, its definitely worth a listen, but he gives the media a very very hard time over their approach and what he feels is an agenda towards Scotland national team as a whole. He also stated that there was a player who was offered a contract extension by his club if he gave up his Scotland career. He covers a bit about the call offs too.

Scott MacDonald has already called Beattie out for bullshitting on that podcast so I'd take whatever he's said with a pinch of salt.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4650944/scott-mcdonald-craig-beattie-celtic-helicopter-sunday-open-goal/

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Thanks I'll have a listen however I can.imagine itll make me angry when.i hear about the call offs.

Not watched the Beattie one yet but the Grant one was excellent. Obviously very Celtic orientated but it was compelling viewing. Surprised I lasted as I thought he was the antichrist growing up. He was pretty candid overall and as DBTA mentions above he gave a decent insight into the media plus the coaching game.

Craig Brown one is shite, as is Davie Weir and Warburton.

Would recommend the following episodes: Stuart McCall, Pat Bonner, Mo Ross, Davie Robertson, Owen Coyle, Durrant/Ferguson, Andy McLaren & the 2 McCoist ones.

Edited by Mitre

14 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

He also stated that there was a player who was offered a contract extension by his club if he gave up his Scotland career. He covers a bit about the call offs too.

I reckon that was Charlie Mulgrew he was talking about.

Mulgrew said in an interview a few months ago that Tony Mowbray was putting him under pressure to retire from internationals but Mulgrew wouldn't do so as he loved playing for Scotland. 

Curiously, Mulgrew has since been punted out on loan, That makes me think he was the player in question.

13 hours ago, Mitre said:

Not watched the Beattie one yet but the Grant one was excellent. Obviously very Celtic orientated but it was compelling viewing. Surprised I lasted as I thought he was the antichrist growing up. He was pretty candid overall and as DBTA mentions above he gave a decent insight into the media plus the coaching game.

Craig Brown one is shite, as is Davie Weir and Warburton.

Would recommend the following episodes: Stuart McCall, Pat Bonner, Mo Ross, Davie Robertson, Owen Coyle, Durrant/Ferguson, Andy McLaren & the 2 McCoist ones.

The Craig Brown one was excellent, although Ferry is not clever or articulate  enough if to have a genuine two way interview.